SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
h2oskiier222
h2oskiier222 is on a distinguished road

Default BTSI Replacement

Hi All,

I have been doing quite a bit of reading about a problem I am having with our Ion.

Vehicle--2005 Saturn Ion 3, 2.2L, Automatic

We are having the ignition switch problem. When shifting the car into "Park" the key will turn freely to the ACC position and the engine will turn off. At the ACC position I have to wait for an undetermined period of time until the key will turn to the LOCK position. The car will restart if attempted. I can duplicate the problem intermittently by pressing the button on the shifter and feeling the switch through the access hole in the bottom of the steering the column. Sometimes the switch will release the key and sometimes it won't. If I press the shifter button enough times though eventually it will release.

From my reading of a variety of posts on this forum it appears the fix would to be replace the BTSI solenoid. My question is though how is this done? How does the shifter come apart to replace this solenoid? Does anyone have a factory service manual that will have pictures or tell in detail how to do this?

Thanks for all replys.
h2oskiier222 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: BTSI Replacement

The BTSI is not your problem. The BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) locks the shifter lever in park and is allowed to move when the brake is applied. The problem you are having is with the park lock which prevents the ignition lock cylinder from turning completely off with the trans not in park. The lock cylinder is allowed to turn completely off when the shifter lever is move to park position. The failure is the micro switch or the rod that applies it on the left side of the shifter asm. only shifter asm sold as one piece. Put a new (not used) new shifter asm will fix it.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Mike89
Mike89 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Put a new (not used) new shifter asm will fix it.

Where is this part to be found? I've searched the internet and come up with 0 hits. I must not be typing the correct name of the part.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 ION-2 Sedan

Go to parts department of a local Saturn service provider.

http://www.saturn.com/toolbar/dealer_locator.html#

I believe parts department name for this part is control lever or transmission shift controller
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I found the part and a tutorial how to change it here.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183467
Old 11-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
USR03URN
USR03URN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern View Post
The BTSI is not your problem. The BTSI (brake transmission shift interlock) locks the shifter lever in park and is allowed to move when the brake is applied. The problem you are having is with the park lock which prevents the ignition lock cylinder from turning completely off with the trans not in park. The lock cylinder is allowed to turn completely off when the shifter lever is move to park position. The failure is the micro switch or the rod that applies it on the left side of the shifter asm. only shifter asm sold as one piece. Put a new (not used) new shifter asm will fix it.
A replacement for the Cherry microswitch can be gotten from Digi-Key Corp.
part # CH290-ND. To replace this switch you must be adept at soldering or get someone who is. The switch comes without the metal lever that presses on the switch button. The lever can be removed from the old switch by prying the pivot tabs out with a thin bladed knife. Then simply snap it on the new switch. Terminal 2 the NC terminal is not used and may be cut off. Solder in the new switch and route the wires back to their original positions and test the operation.
USR03URN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Mike89

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I don't have the patience for something like that. I just bought the whole thing here.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-157934...ype=automotive