SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
tatums4
tatums4 is on a distinguished road

Default 2007 Vue torque converter recall?

Hi all.

Just joined this site today as we just bought an 07 V6 AWD Vue with 43,000 miles on it yesterday for my wife as her 05 Nissan Pathfinder LE that we bought brand new crapped out due to the transmission cooler defect which blew the transmission.

As such, our Vue purchase was more impulse than anything else. Yet only this morning did we realize, much to our dismay, via a google search that there may be a tranny issue as well with our Vue? Please tell me it ain't so!

I've seen a few posts related to a torque converter recall which seems to be the only issue that is affecting the tranny yet could not find (probably user error!) any recall info though some have said there has been said torque converter recall. Hence, is/was there a recall?

Also, any other vehicle issues we should be aware of?

Thanks much!
tatums4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2007 Vue torque converter recall?

Welcome aboard ... I just rolled over 53,000 on my 2005 with same engine and transmission combo and have no drive-train problems to this point.

Try to locate the service records for your 2007 ... you'll be wise to deviate from the owners manual recommendations for transmission fluid and AWD fluid change. They say 100K for ATF and many forum members are changing at 20 to 25K miles. Many members also change AWD rear drive module (RDM) fluid much earlier than recommended.

So far, I've replaced the ignition switch, front stabilizer bar end-links and four tires on my 2005 Vue ... but everything else is original - including brakes, shocks and struts.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on your purchase. Depending on who you ask on here, your truck is an underpowered, rattly, soft SUV and to some it is a highly reliable, good performing, economy SUV. In my opinion they are great little trucks as long as one realizes what they are and doesn't try to make them something they are not.

As for issues, you will find that by getting into a routine of swapping out your fluids with more regularity than GM perscribes, you will have little problems. The recall you noted is specifically for the PCM (computer) that controls the vehicle. The update will change your shift points a bit so that the Torque Converter engages less and puts less wear and tear on the fluid - thus prolonging the life of the transmission. They will also swap the Torque Converter if the PCM flash doesn't completely fix things. The flash so far has created some mixed reviews on the site, with again some hating it and some liking it.

Overall, for being an inexpensive SUV, these trucks are good, reliable vehicles. A little TLC is needed from time to time but I would say the reliability is up there with some of the top vehicles. You will very rarely hear about any catestrophic failures of any of the Vue models, saving for the early I4 Vues equipped with a CVT transmission.

Keep reading the site though and you'll learn tons about your vehicle. Enjoy your ride.
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
tatums4
tatums4 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the valuable info contained in the feedback thus far!

Since I literally took possession of the vehicle this weeked, can I just take it to the local GM dealer and have them do the recall work? Do I need some type of documentation to take with me?

Thanks, again!
tatums4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Routs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatums4 View Post
Thanks for all the valuable info contained in the feedback thus far!

Since I literally took possession of the vehicle this weeked, can I just take it to the local GM dealer and have them do the recall work? Do I need some type of documentation to take with me?

Thanks, again!
You should be fine to just take it in but I'd give them a quick call to confirm. They should be able to pull up the information based on your VIN. As far as we've seen on here, all '05 to '07 V6 Vues are covered under this. The only Honda Powered Vue that isn't in the recall is the '04.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
FLVue
FLVue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routs View Post
You should be fine to just take it in but I'd give them a quick call to confirm. They should be able to pull up the information based on your VIN. As far as we've seen on here, all '05 to '07 V6 Vues are covered under this. The only Honda Powered Vue that isn't in the recall is the '04.
Even the FWD V-6? I have an 07 with 38K mi and have not had the problem being discussed here. I don't intend to do anything unless I notice a problem.
FLVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
col_dude190
Advanced Member
col_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura aboutcol_dude190 has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE Red Line
2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVue View Post
Even the FWD V-6? I have an 07 with 38K mi and have not had the problem being discussed here. I don't intend to do anything unless I notice a problem.
Yes, all '05-to '07 front wheel drive and all wheel drive Vues powered by the Honda V6 are included in this customer satisfaction program/recall.

If you don't have any issues, then don't worry about getting the reprogram done, but at least you have a few years to get the problem taken care of if your Vue has issues a few years down the road. I feel that the reprogram made a huge improvement in the way that the vehicle shifts and just drives in general, but if you are happy with how your Vue currently runs, then I wouldn't worry too much about getting the reprogram done.
col_dude190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVue View Post
I still would still consider swapping or displacing the fluid... to prevent any problems, many seem to be contingent with the fluid age/condition.

Tatums4 read on more over in the tech forum as there are about a half dozen threads interrelated to this.
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Routs

Quote:
Originally Posted by col_dude190 View Post
Yes, all '05-to '07 front wheel drive and all wheel drive Vues powered by the Honda V6 are included in this customer satisfaction program/recall.

If you don't have any issues, then don't worry about getting the reprogram done, but at least you have a few years to get the problem taken care of if your Vue has issues a few years down the road. I feel that the reprogram made a huge improvement in the way that the vehicle shifts and just drives in general, but if you are happy with how your Vue currently runs, then I wouldn't worry too much about getting the reprogram done.
I don't know, I looked at it differently. My '06 only has 40,000 kms/25,000 miles and hasn't exhibited any of these issues but I see it as preventative maintenance. If the torque converter being engaged and disengaged several thousand less times, increases the overall performance and increases the overall reliability, I think it's worth doing before anything does happen. I will still change my transmission oil regularly but I also like the peace of mind of getting it done.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
amsler
amsler is on a distinguished road

Cool Re: 2007 Vue torque converter recall?

I drive a 2007 Vue V-6 front wheel drive in Canada. I have a 140000 km on it and as far as I can see there is absolutely no problem with anything.
All you need is a good mechanic, and stay away from the warranty centres from GM.
It has a great pick up runs really smooth and quiet.
amsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #11
lilynn
lilynn is on a distinguished road

Happy Re: 2007 Vue torque converter recall?

Fellas I can tell you I am starting this off saying I found out that whatever you do with a Saturn Vue I don't know if it's just my Year the 2007 I4. That if you don't put original parts back in with original oil in what it says to put your car will act up on you. Here is what I found out. I did a oil change in my car and I didn't go back with the original oil filter which is the Ac Delco. It was specified as the right part for my car but not original as it didn't fit in like the original it went in but snug and not drop in like the original. And from what I can think meaning it fit to tight where the oil could not flow like it should. Well my car transmission started acting up and I was like WoW I didn't do anything except change the oil filter. Well if you add oil or change the oil filter and I'm telling you this is a fact if you do not reset the oil change light with the 3 repeat steps on the gas pedal and not put the Ac Delco back in and not the correct oil your car will act up from the transmission and I will tell you why later. Also if you do not put the original hoses on and just put any other hose beside original the car will not work right I mean air hoses and other things and not radiator hoses. And if you do not put the specified amp of battery in your car your radio will act up and your AC because the engine can't put out that much unless you have a higher amp alternator. Now here is why the problems are. I was told by a GM tech that the computer that is usually in the car inside the cabin are under the hood is not on the vue!!! It is in the Transmission!!!!!!!! I said what!!!! So any problems with anything messes with the transmission because the computer is inside the transmission and the transmission has to be taken down to get to it!!! Now that's truth!! And one more thing Do NOt!!! I repeat DO NOt jump anyone off in that car!!! It will mess up your transmission where it want shift and you have to go to a dealer are a shop and they have to clear the code and it works fine!!! Some people probably got rid of their car for that reason it all starts from a spark if you hit the cables together while jumping off some one are sparks on their battery it will mess up the computer in the transmission!!! That's a fact!!! I know because it happened to me!! Thought I needed another transmission. If and I say If you jump someone one off do not have your key in the ignition and do not have it in the on position it will mess up your radio are fry your parts or even your computer just let them jump straight from the battery with the car off!!! That's if you do it and I recommend not to jump anyone off ever!!! Now take these nuggets and I hope this help some people because I found this out using my vue myself. 72000 strong right now and running like a champ!!
lilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #12
PIrons
PIrons is on a distinguished road

It is now 2017, does this recall expire? I am now having transmission issues on my 07. I replaced shift solenoids and the vehicle still does not want to engage any of the gears. I really could use some help on this.
PIrons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Pirons,
The recall is expired, but a friendly dealership may do it for you under the recall. That being said, I have never heard of the transmission not engaging at all due to the torque converter issue..in the recall. Something tells me that you have other issues, but we need more information.
John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #14
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

It was not so much a recall as a goodwill campaign but expired over 5 years ago.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #15
bp324
bp324 is on a distinguished road

I have an 04 with the torque converter problems for a while now. Drive mostly highway but in town it shutters like crazy if I try to stay a constant speed like 35mph. Always have to let off and back on the gas. Iíve changed fluid multiple times and changed sensors with no luck. Now Iím wanting to find a place to reflash the computer. Is this something I need to take to a GM dealership or can an independent shop do this???
bp324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #16
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp324 View Post
I have an 04 with the torque converter problems for a while now. Drive mostly highway but in town it shutters like crazy if I try to stay a constant speed like 35mph. Always have to let off and back on the gas. Iíve changed fluid multiple times and changed sensors with no luck. Now Iím wanting to find a place to reflash the computer. Is this something I need to take to a GM dealership or can an independent shop do this???
Pls confirm you are using Honda ATF DW1 (or ATF Z1 if you have a source for the older fluid).

For short term improvement you can eliminate judder (GM's term) by selecting "I" for around town driving.

I recall a few owners having PCM reflashed out-of-pocket for around $100 USD at GM dealers but it wouldn't hurt to call one or more of the chain transmission shops.

See cut and paste from last GM service info I'm aware of ... if nothing else you can refer to customer satisfaction #10285B when discussing with dealer.

Reflash will eliminate torque converter lockup from low speed travel for all gears.

This will eliminate judder but will most likely affect your around town mileage since RPM's will be consistently higher.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service Information ...... Document ID: 3747102
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10285B: Customer Satisfaction - Vehicle Vibration - Reprogram Powertrain Control Module - (Feb 25, 2014)

Subject: 10285B Ė Vehicle Vibration - Reprogram Powertrain Control Module

Models: 2005-2007 Saturn VUE
Equipped with 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (MJ7/MJ8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The expiration date for this program has been extended to February 28, 2015. Please discard all copies of bulletin 10285A.

***************THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2015.***************

Condition

On certain 2005-2007 model year Saturn VUE vehicles equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission, a transmission torque converter condition may result in a transmission vibration or shaking motion (judder) while driving at speeds between 20 and 45 mph (30 and 70 km/h).

Correction

Dealers are to reprogram the powertrain control module, and in some cases, replace the torque converter.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2005-2007 model year Saturn VUE vehicles, equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission (MJ7/MJ8). Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided to dealers through the GM GlobalConnect
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 12-13-2018 at 12:43 PM.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #17
bp324
bp324 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much! Yes I change the fluid every summer. Looks like Iíll be calling the dealership and see what they say.
bp324 is offline   Reply With Quote