SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 03-28-2006, 02:28 AM   #1
sublimeways
sublimeways is on a distinguished road

Default System Lean

I have a 2001 L300. I just replaced an O2 Sensor, because the car was to the point where it would hardly even accelerate. That solved the problem, but the car still has minor performance flaws. When I accelerate hard, there is a noticable hesitation. There is also a hesitation when the car switches gears (automatic).

The Service Engine Soon light is always on, and occasionally the Service light comes on (it goes away when I turn the car off, and back on). I checked the codes, and I'm getting 3 errors.

One code says I'm running lean on bank 1 sensor 1.
One code says I'm running lean on bank 2 sensor 1.
One code says there's a large leak in the emission control system.

I don't know what to, any help would be appreciated.
sublimeways is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2006, 11:56 PM   #2
aaront
aaront is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: System Lean

I have a 2000 LS2 V6 and have been getting a system lean o2 on both banks. It looks like the problem may be a MAF sensor since you already replaced the o2 sensor. Check some of the posts regarding MAF for the V6.
aaront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the Board.

What are the actual code numbers? Description of the code is of little to no use in finding the diagnostics or TSB's.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor..... I guarantee you it's the MAF Sensor.
Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #5
sublimeways

The codes I'm getting are P0171 and P0174, both system lean codes. the third code I mentioned has disappeared, but it may return.

What is the MAF sensor? What does it do, and where on the car can I find it?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwages_ls2
MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor, MAF Sensor..... I guarantee you it's the MAF Sensor.

It just may be the MAF.

Those codes are addressed in the following TSB. The MAF sensor is the sensor that is part of/inline with air intake tubing right by the air filter. Every time I have had a car with those codes the MAF has solved the problem providing that there was no real obvious other problems mentioned in the TSB.

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Telltale Illuminated with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) P0171, P0172, P0174 and/or P0175 (Refer to Diagnostic Procedure in this Bulletin, Replace Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor #01-06-04-016A - (12/06/2004)

Models: 2000-2003 Saturn L-Series Vehicle with V6 Engine (VIN R -- RPO L81)

Condition
Some customers may comment that the SES telltale is illuminated.

Cause
This condition may be caused by one or more of the following: debris on MAF sensor causing an incorrect reading, improper oil level, low or high fuel pressure, Engine Control Temperature (ECT) Sensor reading inaccurate, EVAP system problem and/or poor fuel quality.

Correction
Follow current Service Manual Diagnostic Information for DTC's P0171, P0172, P0174 or P0175. If long term fuel trim values approach DTC limits, follow the procedure outlined in this bulletin for additional diagnosis and MAF sensor replacement.

Procedure
For lean DTC’s, check for vacuum leaks due to damaged or loose intake manifold switchover valve vacuum lines mis-routed, missing O-ring located between the intake manifold lower section and the intake manifold upper section and correct if necessary. For rich DTC’s, check EVAP purge solenoid for sticking open. Verify ECT sensor is providing accurate temperature for proper engine fuel metering.

Check for proper engine oil level.
• If oil level is correct, proceed to next step.

• If oil level is too high, perform the following:

- Drain oil to correct level.

- Clean oil from throttle body and air tubing leading to oil separator.

- Replace MAF sensor. (Refer to step 5.)

Check fuel pressure by performing "Fuel System Pressure Test". Refer to "Fuel System Diagnosis" (SI Document ID #1094549 [2000], 1073922 [2001 and 2002] or 1241266 [2003]) in the Fuel System section located in the applicable Saturn L-Series L81 Engine Service Manual.
• If fuel pressure is correct, proceed to next step.

• If fuel pressure is out of specification, diagnose by performing "Fuel System Testing" (SI Document ID #1149744) for 2000-2002 or "Fuel System Diagnosis" (SI Document ID #1241266) in the Fuel System section located in the applicable Saturn L-Series L81 Engine Service Manual.

Check fuel quality. If poor fuel quality is suspected, drain tank and refill with known good fuel and recheck fuel quality.

If the above checks in steps 1-4 are OK, replace MAF sensor, P/N 90528435.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 AM   #7
sublimeways

I think I nailed the problem down. I checked the hose by the air intake, and it looked alright. With the engine running however, I disconnected it and reconnected it. When I put it back on, the car idled at 3000 RPMs. I turned the car off, turned it back on, and it seems to be running normal again. No SES light or anything odd happening.

Hopefully, that did it......