SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 12-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
jackl
jackl is on a distinguished road

Default How do you (test) Bypass Neutral Safety Switch?

98 SL1 Automatic.
jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: How do you (test) Bypass Neutral Safety Switch?

Simple. The neutral safety switch is to prevent starting the engine in gear resulting in either instant drive forward or reverse. Automatics have the switch on the transmission.

To bypass this switch is to simply jumper the two wires attached to the switch, together. If the spade lugs on the switch are wide enough to fit a fuse in, pull the terminals off the switch and plug a fuse (10A or so) into both lug terminals or use a paper clip inserted into both lug wires. Now you have a (dangerous) situation allowing starting at any time whether in gear or not. Beware of this when bypassing this switch when troubleshooting starting problems and be sure to remove the bypass when repairs or testing are concluded.

Starting problems? Remote working correctly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '98 auto ns switch.jpg (19.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg '98 ns automatic switch.jpg (9.7 KB, 159 views)
VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 12-27-2008 at 12:08 PM.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Locate the proper wire colors and terminal/plug with the diagrams I posted. They are for a 98.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Dragonfell
Dragonfell is on a distinguished road

I am attempting to bypass this same nss on my 95 saturn sc1 however, the instructions really offer no specifics on where to create the jumper, I mean the instructions say the wires, and talk about diagrams but all that is offered is two pics of nss with now wires in them at all.

I notice on the top side there are two thin wires running into the nss are those the wires that need to be jumped? I need to pick the wife up from work and I dont have time to replace this thing please advise.
Dragonfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

On the range switch at the transmission, there are 2 connectors, Locate the connector with only 2 wires --purple wires-- disconnect the connector and install the jumper in the connector to connect the 2 purple wires together.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Dragonfell

oh I see so the jumper is being installed at the tranny, not at the nss that makes sense ty ill go try!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #7
Dragonfell

God if it wasnt for these forums my car never would have made it too 280k crossing fingers for 300
Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
Dragonfell

sigh, can not find purple wires to save my life, are these easier to access from under the car, I have jack stands...
Old 02-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

PM sent.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfell View Post
are these easier to access from under the car, I have jack stands...
I think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NSS Jmpr.jpg (133.7 KB, 140 views)
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #11
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfell View Post
sigh, can not find purple wires to save my life, are these easier to access from under the car, I have jack stands...
You're going to unplug the 2 wire connector from the transmission sensor, then install a fuse / jump the terminals on the plug. The range switch incorporates the NSS into it
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
Ptalburt
Ptalburt is on a distinguished road

Im trying to check my NSS, this is probably a dumb question but better safe then sorry "Should I disconnect the battery cable before I "Jump" the NSS with a paper clip?

Thanks
Patrick
Ptalburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Ptalburt
Ptalburt is on a distinguished road

Ok so I Jupmed the terminal with the 2 purple wire with a 10 amp fuse, car did not start. Am I supposed to jump both terminals? The one with the purple wires and the one with the six wires???

My 1999 Saturn SL2 died while driving it. Tryied
repeatedly to start it and nothing. Saw the starter
smoking so I replaced the starter, still no start.
Battery is charged and holds a charge, fuses are
good. Before I put the new starter on and tried to
start it all the dash lights came on full strength but
when I turned the key to the start position they
would dim, but after putting on the new starter the
dash light are not dimming with the key in the start
position. I have checked all the fuses and battery
cables all of them are fine. If I hold the key in the
start position and move the shifter back and forth
from park to neutral I get a clicking noise and the
dash light flicker in sync with the clicking. So I was
thinking it was the Neutral Safety Switch but Im not
sure. I assumed it was the Neutral safety switch
after reading some other forums on it. Help please!
I need this car running so I can get to work.
Thanks
Patrick
Ptalburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is a connector out at the AUTOMATIC transmission, jumper between ONLY the 2 terminal connector with the 2 purple wires. You jumper the connector. This will bypass the neutral/park switch.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #15
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Can somebody please help me locate this? I have a auto trans and never an issue into I turned it off in drive accidentally. Now it went turn back on. I want to bypass this.
2000sl1blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:52 AM   #16
2000sl1blue
2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light2000sl1blue is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

I believe I located the NSS. It has 2 wire dongles connected. One 2 pin and one around 5pins in it. So I left the 5 pin connected and took a wire and put it into the 2 pin dongle to jump both sides. After this it so didn't start. Did I do this correctly?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes you bypassed the nss correctly. What you haven't done or mentioned was if the battery is discharged/dead or mileage to help determine if the starter is worn out. Are you in freezing temperatures that can affect both? Whatever you do, be sure to have the xmission in Park position - you don't want to be surprised if you manage to get the engine started if its in Drive or Reverse.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #18
2000sl1blue

1998 SW1
2007 SKY Red Line

Thanks for the response! It's above freezing. My sw1 has around 150,000 miles on it. I had full battery power for everything and even volt tested at load to have 12.4-12.6v
Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #19
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

The quickest and most definitive way to diagnose this is to make voltage measurements down at the starter; beginning with the small PPL wire. There are many threads here on how to do that and the joys of going to the PPL wire. Alas, this won't be much fun in the cold/wet...
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000sl1blue View Post
Thanks for the response! It's above freezing. My sw1 has around 150,000 miles on it. I had full battery power for everything and even volt tested at load to have 12.4-12.6v
If your battery isn't giving false voltages, did you try a boost from another car? This can reveal a battery that's marginal in freezing temps and may need replacing or at least testing from stores selling car batteries and having test equipment.

If the starter is original, it may be showing signs of wear and tear in freezing weather or simply died. To test a starter at home requires a known good battery or a boost setup to ensure battery power, checking battery connections for looseness and corrosion interfering with cold weather starting before shorting two terminals on the starter - the large terminal with battery positive shorted to the single wire small terminal on the starter solenoid. The small wire is purple. Screwdriver, a short piece of 10 gauge wire will do. You're bypassing the ignition switch altogether by applying battery voltage to the starter solenoid coil small terminal to power up the starter. Leave the ignition switch off otherwise the engine may power up while your under the car. You're testing the starter only and if it runs, it will crank the engine over. If you get this far under the car you can try banging the starter with a piece of 2x4 lumber - this may allow another start or more but indicates a need to replace it. No starter operation from bypassing with a wire across the two terminals means the starter is dead.