Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
Beachbaby902
Advanced Member
Beachbaby902 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1994 SL2
Default Question...

I activated on star for the free 3 months and when i was on my account i noticed i had a special 120k warranty 11175*
The car only has 24k.

From what i found this is a special warranty on the transmission that it seems is known to fail?

What are some warning signs that the transmission is starting to go? The warranty is only good for another 2 and half years and i plan on having the car a lot longer then that. But if one of the major components is known to fail, i don't know how i feel about having this car.

I already have to replace the passenger side wheel bearing. It makes a lot of noise when you go over 35-40mph. Which is fine, its a $40 part, but i hope this isn't the start to replacing many things.

So what are the most common things that break/fail on these cars?

Right now it drives great, gets alright gas milage, has a lot of pep, horrible turning radius and rides smooth aside from the wheel bearing noise.
~My Running Saturns~
94' SL2 130,000 miles RIP (Tree hit it)
00' SW2 170,000 miles
00' SL2 280,000 miles
11' Cruze LTZ 54k totaled
07' Aura XE 25k
Beachbaby902 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL
Default Re: Question...

If your profile is correct and it's a 07 XE you won't have any problems. You have the 4-speed. It's the 6-speed with the paddle shift that is known to fail. Mostly if not all pertaining to the XR with the 3.6.

Still I would change the fluid and filter when the time comes.
2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #3
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola View Post
If your profile is correct and it's a 07 XE you won't have any problems. You have the 4-speed. It's the 6-speed with the paddle shift that is known to fail. Mostly if not all pertaining to the XR with the 3.6.

Still I would change the fluid and filter when the time comes.
Where are there documented failures of the 6AT? There are TSBs regarding reprogramming of the module for better shift habits/points, but no failures.
2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
09aura
09aura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Where are there documented failures of the 6AT? There are TSBs regarding reprogramming of the module for better shift habits/points, but no failures.

This, I did a lot of looking before I bought mine and seen some TSBs but next to none for failures....
09aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbaby902 View Post
I activated on star for the free 3 months and when i was on my account i noticed i had a special 120k warranty 11175*
The car only has 24k.

From what i found this is a special warranty on the transmission that it seems is known to fail?

What are some warning signs that the transmission is starting to go? The warranty is only good for another 2 and half years and i plan on having the car a lot longer then that. But if one of the major components is known to fail, i don't know how i feel about having this car.

I already have to replace the passenger side wheel bearing. It makes a lot of noise when you go over 35-40mph. Which is fine, its a $40 part, but i hope this isn't the start to replacing many things.

So what are the most common things that break/fail on these cars?

Right now it drives great, gets alright gas milage, has a lot of pep, horrible turning radius and rides smooth aside from the wheel bearing noise.
My tech knowledge is not all that good but, from what I've read, transmission problems have been reported as "hunting for gears", slipping, shifters not lining up with actual display, there was also a "cable" issue - I don't know on which models these problems were present and not everyone has experienced these. Someone here should be able to provide better insight.

Most folks here have reported mpg's as pretty decent, esp. highway mileage. I have the XR 6 Cyl. and pretty much only drive locally and only break 20 mpg when I do extensive hwy. mileage. A few folks here have said it takes approx. 10k miles to wake the engine up and have the computer learn one's driving habits.

I agree with you on the turning radius. I was surprised at how wide it is.

As far as the warranty is concerned, I'm guessing "special" means "optional" or "extended" warranty? You may want to call GM to check on that. You can also register your AURA at the "GM Owner Center" https://my.gm.com/web/portal/managemybrand. You can register your AURA's VIN and it should have all of the info in there, but I'd still call GM about what warranty you have. Do you have documentation regarding that "special" warranty? Is it an "extended" warranty that one would opt for when a car was bought new? It should be transferrable.

Generally, the AURA is a solid car. There are little hiccups here and there and you have a 1st model year one. This forum is a great place to get your questions answered for most anything you need.

I know most of us have gotten a fair amount of snow this past week but don't forget to send us pics of your new AURA XE.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
I was not referring to a TSB just the Wave plate...
2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I forgot to mention; there also the infamous steering "clunk". It happens most often at slow speeds when turning a corner. Not everyone has had it, but several folks have. You can often feel it through the steering column and sometimes even hear it. Most often, if I recall correctly, the Intermediate Steering Shaft was either lubricated or sometimes replaced.

Whatever you do, don't get down on your AURA. It's an awesome car. Regardless of whether a 1st MY XE or a 3rd MY XR. They look great and perform very, very well. The AURA is definitely a winner, even if Saturn is no longer in existence.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Old 02-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
The car only has 24k.

24k on a 7 y/o car?

special coverage 11175 was only for the shift cable. the cable has since been part of a major recall. ensure your shift cable was attended to by a gm dealer (just call any gm dealer with ur vin).
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
09aura
09aura is on a distinguished road

Is that shift cable recall for alll auras? Should I call and ask about my 09?
09aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Beachbaby902
Advanced Member

2007 AURA XE
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
24k on a 7 y/o car?

special coverage 11175 was only for the shift cable. the cable has since been part of a major recall. ensure your shift cable was attended to by a gm dealer (just call any gm dealer with ur vin).
Yes only 24k on a 7 year old car. It wasn't driven much. Its been garage kept since bought new as well.

And thats what i was hearing, but i looked up any recalls for my VIN and there aren't any.
~My Running Saturns~
00' SW2 170,000 miles
00' SL2 280,000 miles
07' Aura XE 25k
Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Beachbaby902
Advanced Member

2007 AURA XE
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
My tech knowledge is not all that good but, from what I've read, transmission problems have been reported as "hunting for gears", slipping, shifters not lining up with actual display, there was also a "cable" issue - I don't know on which models these problems were present and not everyone has experienced these. Someone here should be able to provide better insight.

Most folks here have reported mpg's as pretty decent, esp. highway mileage. I have the XR 6 Cyl. and pretty much only drive locally and only break 20 mpg when I do extensive hwy. mileage. A few folks here have said it takes approx. 10k miles to wake the engine up and have the computer learn one's driving habits.

I agree with you on the turning radius. I was surprised at how wide it is.

As far as the warranty is concerned, I'm guessing "special" means "optional" or "extended" warranty? You may want to call GM to check on that. You can also register your AURA at the "GM Owner Center" https://my.gm.com/web/portal/managemybrand. You can register your AURA's VIN and it should have all of the info in there, but I'd still call GM about what warranty you have. Do you have documentation regarding that "special" warranty? Is it an "extended" warranty that one would opt for when a car was bought new? It should be transferrable.

Generally, the AURA is a solid car. There are little hiccups here and there and you have a 1st model year one. This forum is a great place to get your questions answered for most anything you need.

I know most of us have gotten a fair amount of snow this past week but don't forget to send us pics of your new AURA XE.
When i got the car, on the way home i reset the avg mpg. and it read about 31 on the highway and when i got off went to 28. After i filled up, i was in heavy stop and go traffic and some city roads in this snow and its at about 24mpg.

I do have a clunk here and there when i make a sharp slow turn.

And heres the picture of the Aura when i was at Wendys. Once the snow stops and i wash it, i'll take more pictures.
~My Running Saturns~
00' SW2 170,000 miles
00' SL2 280,000 miles
07' Aura XE 25k
Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
24k on a 7 y/o car? ...
It makes sense as the car was owned by the fiance's Grandmother who's in her 70's / 80's and the car has hardly been driven the past 6 months.

My AURA is 5 1/2 years old and has 23k on her and, believe it or not, our 2001 honda Accord only has 19,700 miles on her. It belonged to my Mom who only drove it locally once or twice a week.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

Last edited by gpartrid; 02-17-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Great pic of your AURA. I really like the Midnight Blue. The first time I ever set foot in a Saturn store, they had an AURA XR in Midnight Blue sitting on the showroom floor. I took pics of it which are in my photo gallery.

I'd definitely follow-up on the shift cable issue ASAP and also have the "clunk" checked out. Don't know if there's a recall on that, however.

Keep us posted regarding some of the current issues and your ownership experience with your new AURA and don't be a stranger to the forum.
2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
Beachbaby902
Advanced Member

2007 AURA XE
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
Great pic of your AURA. I really like the Midnight Blue. The first time I ever set foot in a Saturn store, they had an AURA XR in Midnight Blue sitting on the showroom floor. I took pics of it which are in my photo gallery.

I'd definitely follow-up on the shift cable issue ASAP and also have the "clunk" checked out. Don't know if there's a recall on that, however.

Keep us posted regarding some of the current issues and your ownership experience with your new AURA and don't be a stranger to the forum.
I always thought the blue colors, whether its midnight blue, navy blue, blue black ect. looked good on Saturns.

The clunky noise...is it just a noise, or is it something that'll break and leave me stranded?
~My Running Saturns~
00' SW2 170,000 miles
00' SL2 280,000 miles
07' Aura XE 25k
Old 02-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
And thats what i was hearing, but i looked up any recalls for my VIN and there aren't any.
then u probably got the clamshell treatment to relieve strain on the clip that holds the shift cable in place. either that or a new revised cable.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote