SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default LED's installed in the gauge cluster, none work

Bought a bunch of LED bulbs to replace the burned out ones in the gauge cluster and not a single one works. I tried rotating them 180 degrees and still nothing. Any ideas?

I went by a thread here that said to use 8.5d bulbs, is that wrong for an SL1?
Check out my current SL1!

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268456

Last edited by cujoe_da_man; 05-04-2021 at 01:48 PM.
cujoe_da_man is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
cujoe_da_man
cujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nicecujoe_da_man is just really nice

2000 SL1
Default Re: LED's installed in the gauge cluster, none work

On a side note, I'm probably gonna skip the LEDs and go back to halogens. I can get a bunch of them for half the cost of the LED's and I know those work because the few I have left are working fine when I put them in the sockets of the ones that were burned out. I'm still kinda curious why the LED's aren't working, though.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
Zeebins
Zeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud of

1997 SL2

Where did you buy them from? Cheap eBay leds be bad out of the box half the time
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #4
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Where did you buy them from? Cheap eBay leds be bad out of the box half the time
haha, oops, I meant to put that down and forgot. I got them from Superbrightleds.com.

Quite frankly, I don't see any difference between theirs and anything cheaper on eBay. Maybe they use different diodes? But the mounting plastic is really cheap looking/feeling and some of the soldering isn't all that great.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Zeebins
Zeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud ofZeebins has much to be proud of

1997 SL2

I use Superbrightleds for all the interior bulbs, and most of the exterior on my car. Iíve tried some cheaper Chinese brands from Amazon and while their a good for the price, I do have my problems with them. They always tend to be a little to blue for my liking and trying to search specifically for a bulb with a color temperature of 3000k or less doesnít have many results. Even ones that claim to be ďwhite 5000kĒ still look blue to me. Iíve found that with the Superbrightleds, while they are a little pricey, and a little cheap looking, the quality and consistency led to led to be amazing. They have pretty much any temperature/color you could want, any they always glow at the same brightness/hue. Some of the cheaper bulbs have trouble with this. Some cheaper ones may also not work with the factory dimmer, but Iíve yet to have this happen.

As for youre situation, I would try powering the leds with a 9 volt battery to see if they work at all and go from there. Still a chance they could be bad out of the box.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 05-04-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I went through and tested them with a 9 volt and they seem to work (well, except for one, but I think that one had a bad lead on it anyway), so I'm stumped why they aren't working in the gauge cluster.

I did make sure that the halogens I still had working did in fact work in all the sockets that needed a bulb, so I know the cluster is getting power and working.

Old 05-04-2021, 05:19 PM   #7
Zeebins

1997 SL2

No idea then what may be wrong. I know these clusters can be kinda finicky with LEDs sometimes. I’ve also never worked with a 3g cluster before and they may have other issues I’m not aware of. The digital odometer bulb specifically doesn’t like LEDs as they apparently break something. (Sorry for being vague, don’t actually remember what). My gauge cluster is actually a mix of LEDs and halogens. All the illumination bulbs and warning/indicator lights on the right side, and turn signals, are Superbrightleds. Some of the warning lights on the left side would always stay very dimly on, even with the Parking lights off. Hard to notice in the day, but was kinda annoying at night. It was only a few, but the brightness difference of an LED next to a halogen was a little too harsh. Just kept that whole side halogens for evenness sake.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 05-04-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Welp, I finally (sorta) figured out what's going on. I was able to get the LED's to work with the theater lights, but any other gauge light simply does not work. I was able to get a single white LED to illuminate on one of the back lights, but if I touched it or looked at it funny it would turn off. Wiggling it around would make it turn on and off, so apparently there's a problem with the LED's themselves and not making contact with the board properly as none of the other lights are working with LED's. I can plug in one of the leftover halogens and it works just fine.

So, back to SBL they go, they have a 30day return policy and then I'll just order some halogens.

Ahh well, I tried.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
Zeebins

1997 SL2

I had a problem with one of my 194 bulbs being loose in its socket and flickering over bumps. Pretty sure the kind you have canít be separated from the socket, but I may be wrong.
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

3rd gen S-series and other Saturn models made from 2000+ use a body control module (BCM) driving the instrument panel gauges, lights and indicators. Check your dimmer switch and wiggle it to be sure its on high setting with original lamps. The bcm powers gauges, lights and indicators using pulse width modulation (PWM) where voltage and current are varied by pulsing output. Widening the pulse increases power, narrowing a pulse lowers power. Pwm may not be compatible with some leds and maybe troublesome if the lights are wired in parallel, the preferred wiring configuration. If one lamp burns out, the others aren't affected so a dark area at night points to a burned out bulb.

Instrument panels redesigned for electronic illumination as well as driving gauges are handled by the bcm. Search for i/p wiring diagrams and descriptions of how electronics replaces older wiring using 12v within these forums. Pwm isn't discussed as a form of controlling power and signals to gauges and lighting.

Examples of pwm would be viewing youtube videos of people using their cellphones or video cameras with brake, parking and led headlights appearing to flicker when the naked eye doesn't see this. The flickering is the high speed digital optical electronics matching the switching speed of pwm modulated lights and gauges. Humans see in analog mode while electronics are operating at high speed with circuits switching on and off to capture the moment when pwm circuits are at their low output before switching to whatever power is required to drive gauge needles or lights. The flickering is the mismatch between switching speeds of optical recording and bcm driven i/p gauges, internal and external lighting under pwm control.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

I'm not gonna worry about it, it's just too much of a pain to get it working when I know halogens work fine. I'm sure the car is just too old to accept new tech like this (without some mods). I already started the return process with SBL and will be sending most of them back (just a couple I'm keeping for the theater lights because those do work fine). I'm currently waiting until it's dark enough to decide if I want red or white LED's in those plugs

I have enough lights on right now to at least see the gauges at night until I can get new bulbs. I found some that have a filter to give them a cooler look instead of the basic warm/yellow look.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #12
Zeebins

1997 SL2

It is for sure nice to be able to enjoy the car as it was when sold new back in the day. Definitely some things that make the car feel dated, but thatís also part of the fun of driving a car from the 90ís
97 SL2, auto, 123K miles
Old 05-04-2021, 10:46 PM   #13
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
It is for sure nice to be able to enjoy the car as it was when sold new back in the day. Definitely some things that make the car feel dated, but thatís also part of the fun of driving a car from the 90ís
Bah! I want it updated with all the ridiculous things that make cars overrated these days!

But seriously, this was more for fun than anything, I'm not keeping the car forever :P

Old 05-05-2021, 12:15 AM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to beholdWaiex191 is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoe_da_man View Post
But seriously, this was more for fun than anything, I'm not keeping the car forever :P
You are not the first one of us to say that...
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
CraigT
CraigT is on a distinguished road

Sometimes my led's go off then back on. I have no idea how to open the thing up to see where they are at. Is it difficult or complex? Any pointers, much appreciated.

Ps. Over time, I think perhaps the connections to mine are slightly oxidized and simply banging the dash with my fist usually convinces them to come back on.
CraigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #16
cujoe_da_man

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigT View Post
Sometimes my led's go off then back on. I have no idea how to open the thing up to see where they are at. Is it difficult or complex? Any pointers, much appreciated.

Ps. Over time, I think perhaps the connections to mine are slightly oxidized and simply banging the dash with my fist usually convinces them to come back on.
While I haven't worked on this particular gauge pod, it seems similar enough to others. You'd have to pull the needles off, making sure to use some tape to mark where they were when you take them off. Then, depending on how the PCB is attached to the actual pod, you either have to remove the front panel or pull the PCB out through the back. It's a lot of little clips that can easily be broken if you're in a rush too, so you have to be careful because it's really all that keeps the dust and debris out from behind the glass.