SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
dandy505
dandy505 is on a distinguished road

Default Gasket Sealant for small hole in intake manifold gasket?

Hi Saturn fans,

Is there any chance I could have success using a spray type gasket sealant (such as Permatex High Tack Spray-a-gasket sealant) to "fix" a small vacuum leak with my intake manifold gasket? I have a 2002 Saturn S series sedan 3rd generation SOHC.

Anyone experience any success or failures trying this approach that they wish to share? I wish to make an informed decision prior to attempting what perhaps could be argued as a lazy fix.

Any chance this could seal a vacuum leak? I know the vacuum is pretty strong so it would likely have to be pretty thick and strong stuff that could withstand the temperatures of the intake manifold. would I be wasting my $ on this attempt? If not, what type of spray (need spray or too difiicult to reach as it is underneath) If I can get away with not replacing the intake manifold gasket I'll take it.

Also, I assume I would not do this with the engine running or it could suck the stuff in and create a mess.
dandy505 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2
Default Re: Gasket Sealant for small hole in intake manifold gasket?

Sounds like to me, you would be wasting your money. I guess you could try it, if you need a VERY temporary fix to transport it a couple miles to a mechanic or something.

But definitely, no guarantees.
93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
dandy505

Well, car still drives fine. just idles at 2000rpm. throwing some parts at it to no avail and then a diagnostics from dealer indicated intake gasket leak.

I'm beginning to think I will be buying a gasket and attempting replacement myself then. Thankfully there is great info on this site + richpin videos to guide me. It's gonna have to be blood, sweat and tears (and some cursing) b/c I am not forking out $500 to the dealer to have it done.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I have had good luck with Permatex (orange, gray, or black) for this application. If the surfaces and gasket are first cleaned of all oil and dirt with soap and water (or first with mineral spirits, in extreme cases), and then with acetone, the Permatex should hold well, and will likely last the remaining life of the car. Use it liberally in the area of the break in the gasket. Allow it to set up thoroughly before using the car. 12 to 24 hours is a good time to wait, though it usually cures a bit faster.

Unfortunately these gaskets are special-order only, either by local vendor or by eBay or Rock Auto, and so you have to wait for the gasket before you will be able to drive your car, though AutoZone is pretty good about shipping parts quickly to your home if you order online.

At any rate, if you need a fix NOW, contrary to what other say, the Permatex repair will likely last a very long time. You can then order the gasket and keep it at hand in a cool dry location for when it is needed. If AutoZone says that they'll ship it next-day, though, probably just go that route.

Don't spray things into the manifold. You don't want that sucked into the engine, and if there's oil present, it won't stick, anyway.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandy505 View Post
throwing some parts at it to no avail and then a diagnostics from dealer indicated intake gasket leak
Why? Fairly well known that the robot putting the 3rd gen SOHC's together was drunk and put the IM gasket on wrong on most of them. It's just a matter of time before they leak.

Crappy job to be doing at this time of year.
Quote:
It's actually was very easy and fast. Here's what I did:
1. Drain engine coolant.
2. Remove air inlet tube/resonator assembly, then disconnect fresh air hose at cam cover, lift resonator upward to disengage from engine.
3. Remove PCV hose.
4. Disconect battery for safety (when you removing intake manifold bolts you might accidently toch positive cable on starter... I did) also you'll have to do it anyway to erase codes.
5. Remove fuel line bracket bolt (do not release preassure)
6. Remove intake manifold support bracket to block attaching bolt.
7. Remove intake manifold attaching nuts.
8. Remove intake manifold and replace gasket.
9. Reverse procedure to install. Tighten intake manifold attaching nuts to specifications in sequence...

UPPER SIDE
.. 5 2 3
7 4 1 6
LOWER SIDE
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #6
Gostlrs
Gostlrs is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I have accomplished what you wanted to do before with "Right Stuff" gasket maker.

I Put it in the area to seal & with a wet finger massaged it into the area that needed it. Let it dry, shaved off the extra bits & then made a nice thin layer again & left that one. Held up for years like that.

Current Rides
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
1994 Nissan Hardbody
1994 Mercury Capri XR2 (#350 of 366 Made)
1993 Saturn SL2
Gostlrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^^ You did that specifically on a gen-3 SOHC, with a known-to-be-wrinkled intake manifold gasket?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
dandy505

thanks all!