SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Ericth4
Ericth4 is on a distinguished road

Default Speedo and Tach issues

Hey all, I am a newbie saturn owner. With gas prices on the rise, my gas hog Dodge Ram is breaking the bank. I purchased a 92 SC from a friend of mine. He did an engine swap and it runs great. However, my speedo and tach do not work. Everything else works. Just not those. Here is what I have done so far. Checked the rev limiter. That tells me that the VSS is working. I changed the Passive restraint control module. The cruise doesn't come on when selected. Could that be an area to look in? Intrument panel? Trying to read through this Haynes manual, is like trying to put a 1000 piece puzzle together. I pretty good with puzzles but that has me frustrated more that any that I have done.

Another topic, The ECTS. The engine that he swapped was from a 96 SC2. How do Mod the sensors (since there is only 1 port) or should I just drill and tap another hole in the block?
Ericth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Speedo and Tach issues

Drill and tap into the top outlet to the radiator. There is a flat spot right behind the hose on the head. How do you have the EGR valve connected to that engine and PCM? Which PCM is in it, the 96 or 92? Cluster will not work with the 96 PCM... PCM must match the car year and then you fiddle the engine to function. The major issue is the EGR. In your case it would be simpler to dredge up a 96 cluster and cruise system.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

'96 cluster won't even fit in the car. About the only way a complete '96 engine would run in a '92 car is with a '93 or '94 PCM. That's the only thing that will work with both the '96 crankshaft and the '92 cluster.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It will take some serious cutting and pasting to get it to work - right. And a 93-94 and maybe a 95 PCM will cause other problems as you have to deal with an electric EGR which will require 94 CA PCM or a 95.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Ericth4
Ericth4 is on a distinguished road

When he installed it he left both EGRs in there. I know, I know...The one is connected to the PCM and zip tied to the engine. The other is connected to the engine but not operating. That is why I don't have an SES light. The car runs shifts and everything. That takes the EGR out of the equation for the the speedo and tach not working. I will pull the numbers off the engine and try to find out what year it is. It may not be out of the 96 SC2. At one point he said the engine was out of a 91 SC. I will double check.
Ericth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Above your left knee when sitting in the drivers seat is where the PCM is located. Look up and get both numbers off of it.

Lets do this the easy way, just take a picture of the ignition module and the 2 EGR valves.

Load the pix on a photo site and post the link back here with the http:// part deleted. Until you have 15 posts the system will not allow any links.