SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2001, 11:06 PM   #1
sat92SLI
sat92SLI is on a distinguished road

Default question head work , head gasket leaks oil!!HELP

I purchased a 92 sl1 about a week ago for my girlfriend, i found out a week later it leaks oil from the head gasket left side where the timing chain sits, my question is how hard is it to takle the job by my self , i did head job on hondas and volkswagens , but some say saturns is more complicated .
question?? does anybody have the diagrams or step by step instructions on how to takle this job , or would one of the ( CHILTONS OR HAYNES ) manual have detailed step by step instruction , i already bought the head kit with all the seals .
please help as soon as possible. thanks you all .
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2001, 06:22 AM   #2
Rodney
Rodney is on a distinguished road

Default question head work

If you are mechanically inclined, and have a good inside work area and the torque wrenches and proper tools, yes a Haynes manual goes pretty far into details for my SC2.

It depends on the reason it is leaking oil.
You have to have the tools to do a flatness check on the block and head, and if anything is amiss, it will need work from a qualified machine shop. That and the overhead cam. That always confused me, I am glad I am a jet engine mechanic instead : ) Assuming everything is straight (not warped) you should be able to handle it... but I won't make that call. I have the double overhead cam engine, and I would never go there on my car. It is above my head. But might not be above you to accomplish.
Old 03-25-2001, 07:23 AM   #3
N2orocks
N2orocks is on a distinguished road

Default question head work , head gasket leaks oil!

Here's how you do it: start unscrewing everything until the head comes off. Drop off at machine shop. Get ported and polished and install flat faced valves. Screw everything back together until it runs again. Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2001, 08:45 AM   #4
Mario
Mario is on a distinguished road

Default question head work , head gasket leaks oil!!

May sound silly, but have you checked the power steering pump for leaking by its shaft?
Old 03-25-2001, 11:35 PM   #5
97SC2_auto
97SC2_auto is on a distinguished road

That isn't a silly question at all. My power steering pump leaks, and at first it looked like like it was the head gasket because the cam cover was oily. take a look at the underside of your hood where its leaking. If theres an oily patch on the heat sheilding material its more than likely a power steering leak.
Old 03-26-2001, 12:46 PM   #6
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Default question head work , head .....

I have a 1995 that has this exact problem. The power steering pump leaks like a mo-fo and there is a nice puddle in the hood blanket from it flinging off the pulley. It also whines like mad when it gets too low, which it's doing right now. <i>Joe.. I need another part..... hahaha</i>

In the case that the head gasket IS leaking and it's not the valve cover gasket you'll probably want to do some preventative maintenance while you are in there. Have the head serviced at a local machine shop, how far you go with that is up to you, and replace the timing chain if the miles are high. There is a replacement chain kit available from the dealer for ~$200 <i>(vague price based on CN conversion or expensive dealer)</i> and the head gasket is under $100. Haynes has the instructions, but probably misquotes the torque rating or procedure so if you decide to tackle it someone here can either FAX or email you the proper procedure from the FSM. (I have the DOHC 1995-2001 instructions; if that's the same, I don't know?)
You'll also need to replace the valve cover gasket too if you open it up.
Good luck
-Adam Chant (E=MC˛)
Closed Thread