saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Lepercon
Lepercon is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1999 SL2
Dizzy substantial fuel mileage drop

i have a 99 SL1, 142K miles. about a month or so ago, i got my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube next to where i work. they gave me a smoking deal on a fuel filter replacement ($40 parts & labor). i have no idea when the last time it was changed (i've driven it for 2 years), so i had them do it. about that same time, i changed out plugs (with NGK) & put a K&N air filter in. and i put in a new-to-this-car AC compressor (with a new Gates serpentine belt).

i used to get 30+ mpg on the streets & 40+ mpg on the highway. now i'm lucky if i get 20 mpg. i use the Saturn as a delivery car, so i check my mileage pretty regularly. the car runs as smooth as it has since i bought it. steady idle, but the antenna vibrates when i'm stuck at a red light.

could it be the new fuel filter screwed it up? i read that the filter & pressure regulator are together. but at the price i paid, i'm wondering if they could have left the old regulator in & somehow, something got screwed up?

thanks in advance for ANY help or ideas.
99 SL1 142K
99 SL2 boneyard in my backyard
Lepercon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: substantial fuel mileage drop

That's the first and most likely culprit. Wix 33731 is the only filter you should be using, no substitutes. Otherwise check/replace your ECTS, thermostat, and check the exhaust for any leaks.
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

i'm presuming the thermostat to be okay, as i replaced it and the upper & lower hoses when i drained the radiator in April of this year.

i'll replace the ects tomorrow. the exhaust doesn't have any obvious leaks. car runs silent & smooth. no loss of power (except when the AC is on).

thanks!
99 SL1 142K
Old 06-23-2014, 02:46 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^^^ +1 fuel filter. Replace at once and don't ever go back to Iffy Lube.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

And really the K&N is only good at keeping rocks out of the intake. You're better off with stock paper filters. K&N might be good on a race track but the street ain't no race track
2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

OK, i feel dumb now, for going to Iffy Lube (lol).
i won't have a chance to do the fuel filter until this weekend. the ects is going in as soon as the engine cools down. i'll report back early next week, with the results.

THANKS y'all!!!!!

P.S.: Wix 33731 is the one i should go with?
O'Reilly Auto's house stuff is made by Wix, now.
WIX33731 costs $75, MicroGard33731 is $35.
is it safe to save $40? i hate to be cheap, but economics is economics.
99 SL1 142K
Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Any SES light? Make sure to let us know!

Good luck!

Shawn
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

nope, no codes. and all the lights on the instrument cluster light up when i start it.

it runs great, just recently has lousy mileage. and of course, lack of power with the AC on. (but i expected that when i replaced the compressor & actually got the AC to work).
99 SL1 142K
Old 06-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You are not looking for a gaping hole in the exhaust, any leak will cause this. The piping between the CAT inlet must be completely leak tight and that includes the manifold to head and manifold to downpipe flange/gaskets.

How to actually check for leaks without getting burned.
Exhaust leak check.
--Locate a low pressure high volume air source, reversible vacuum cleaner, large fan, leaf blower or what ever you can find.
--Loosely couple to cold exhaust at the tail pipe, or direct fan at tail pipe.
--Spray every inch of the exhaust between the head and CAT inlet with a mixture of 2 or 3 drops of dish soap and water in a spray bottle.
--Pay close attention to the lower flange, lower support clamp, and flex connector.
--The flex connector is under the protective braid so it requires quite a bit of solution to show any leaks.

If you have a preCAT in the exhaust manifold you can try removing the front O2 sensor and seeing if the car runs any better, leave sensor connected.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

i replaced the fuel filter with O'Reilly's house brand filter (made by Wix) 33731. now i'm getting 16 miles a gallon & occasionally smell an "old gas" kinda smell.
99 SL1 142K
Old 06-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have a leak somewhere. Run engine on drive and find the leak.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There is an o-ring down inside each of the 3 click connectors on the fuel filter and it is relatively easy to knock one of those down the tube and cause a leak. I would spend some quality time under the car looking at the 3 lines on that filter regulator.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

o-rings inside the clip locks? or inside the actual metal tubes?

i didn't notice any o-rings at all on the new filter, before i put it in. it came with three plastic clips, but that was all.

son of a naughty word! i'll pull it out and take a look, as well as look at the old one again. it hasn't got tossed out yet, as i'm in the middle of moving & everything is just going to pot.

waaaa!!!!!!
99 SL1 142K
Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The o-ring is inside of the fitting, past where the clip-lock seats and locks. First look for a leak. All 3 of those lines have some fuel pressure on them.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
Montreal300
Montreal300 has a spectacular aura aboutMontreal300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

So, you're saying that since you had the AC fixed your mileage has dropped? Is that about right?
2002 SL1 (55,000 km @ 11/12/2016)
2006 Chrysler 300C (modified)
2012 Hyundai Santa Fe
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Montreal300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #16
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal300 View Post
So, you're saying that since you had the AC fixed your mileage has dropped? Is that about right?
at about the same time as i had the filter replaced, i swapped out air compressors. i expected something of a power loss & mileage drop. but all of a sudden, i was bogging down when accelerating from a dead stop (dangerous in traffic), and i lost close to 10 mpg.

i looked at the Iffy Lube filter that i removed & there's no o-rings on it, either. i hope they're something that i can purchase seperately & put on to the filter i just installed.
99 SL1 142K
Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If the filter has male fittings, the O-Rings aren't going to be on it. They're in the female fitting.
Had tons of fun figuring that out with the older style filter, somehow the stupid rings got flipped about in the fitting and then I had to guess what order they went together in until it worked without leaking.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

i pulled my filter out & examined it, as well as the lines. and i also looked at the Iffy Lube filter. the lines on the vehicle looked like they might have some o-rings in them. i couldn't get them out, but they were bright yellow.

i put everything back together, started it up and watched it while running. i didn't hear/see/smell/feel any fuel leak from the filter area, or the engine compartment. i've driven not quite 50 miles and haven't smelled gas, since. (maybe i cocked it up when initially putting the filter in?). but it still bogs down, occasionally, on acceleration (but only when the AC is on).

i'll fill it up in the next day or 3 & check my mileage again
99 SL1 142K
Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search for egr valve problems (making a temporary blocking gasket) and/or removing the front O2 sensor for an alternate exhaust hole if the catalytic converter is disintegrating/partially blocking the exhaust system.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #20
Lepercon

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

I actually got brave & took it through emissions testing, on Saturday. passed with no problems. got a brand new 2 year sticker. i think i saw a richpin video about an egr block. guess that's my Friday project!
99 SL1 142K