SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
kim_lombard
kim_lombard will become famous soon enough

Default I have a 1997 Saturn SC2 - the ABS light stays on

I have a 1997 Saturn SC2 1.9 liter, DOHC.

Problem is the ABS light stays on.

I took it to the local mechanic who says they have a
level 2 diagnostic reader. It's NOT storing any error codes. Mechanic claims that the left rear sensor is intermittent. When he has the scanner plugged in and drives around the building he say sometimes the left rear shows zero mph.

I've already spend almost $200.00 with them. They want another $500.00 to replace the rear hub with the sensor installed. Says its 1.8 hours labor + parts. So total bill will be $700.00.

When I drive it right after he has done a "reset" it behaves like it's possessed!
I hear a lot of chatter under the hood (Solenoid?) while decelerating from approx 3 to 0 mph. It comes to a jerking stop.

If I pull the 70 AMP ABS fuse, the light still stays on, but of course, the ABS is inoperative.

ANY advice on this greatly appreciated.

Thanks
kim_lombard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
kim_lombard

Default Re: I have a 1997 Saturn SC2 - the ABS light stays on

By-the-way. With either the 70 amp fuse out or the relay out the brakes work just fine. Had recent brake job on front. Good stopping power, doesn't pull or anything.

thx.

k
Old 02-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
kim_lombard

Did I say ABS + Traction Control? Traction Control light comes on when engine turns us. Traction Control light turns off when ABS light comes on. . .
Old 02-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

All three posts are correct as far as finding out that your ABS is inoperative and removing the fuse completely disables the ABS system in its entirety including traction control. Yes, when the ABS indicator is ON the traction control indicator is off as designed. Failure of ABS turns off the t/c indicator because its no longer available since it is intertwined with the ABS system. You can think of this as if you never had ABS and t/c because they are never to interfere with the main braking system which still operates correctly and as observed by you from recent repairs and self awareness of the before and after effects of a good basic braking system and the failure of the ABS system. ABS and t/c is considered an 'enhancement' to brake systems and as designed will not diminish the effectiveness of hydraulic brakes. They can ony help in emergency braking and poor traction situations that may overwhelm an experienced driver. My personal thoughts are that ABS reminds me of speeds excessive to the road conditions by activating when attempting to stop NOW and that t/c takes over when I'm not capable of figuring out when to stop flooring the gas pedal in slippery conditions.

Not being familiar with the repair costs for S-series ABS systems the prices given seem in the ballpark considering the amount of labor involved. You can always go for another opinion from another repair shop to confirm the diagnosis and repairs. Leaving the ABS fuse out as a last resort to silence the ABS unit that most likely is having a conniption due to a faulty sensor or wire will at least give you the reliable brakes that's always been there, ABS or not, until a decision is made how, when and where you want repairs made. Other than insurance reqirements for rate reduction I don't think ABS is mandatory by federal or state law. As I stated above, ABS and t/c are enhancements to braking systems and failures of ABS or t/c won't affect the use of brakes.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
Sheldon
Sheldon is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I had a 1995 SC2 and the ABS light came on as well. I took it to a shop and they said it was the pump. To me, ABS is a nice feature but one that I learned to live w/out. In order for the light to go off, I just took the fuse out. It's always an option if you don't want or need to spend the extra money.
Thanks
Sheldon

2002 Saturn SC2

1997 Saturn SL2 --- Sold 2/10/08
-AEM Short Ram Intake
-Custom Exhaust

1995 Saturn SC2 - R.I.P.
Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I had a 1995 SC2 and the ABS light came on as well. I took it to a shop and they said it was the pump. To me, ABS is a nice feature but one that I learned to live w/out. In order for the light to go off, I just took the fuse out. It's always an option if you don't want or need to spend the extra money.
You got ripped off. There is NO PUMP.

You do need a TECH2 scan tool (Saturn Retailer) to get the codes. As a first step, check the connectors and wiring to the ABS sensors at each wheel, pay close attention to the passenger side REAR.
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
97SL2guy
97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough97SL2guy is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

My ABS light has been on since I got my car 2 years ago! Sometimes the red brake light comes on and stays on, sometimes it never comes on. But the orange ABS light has NEVER gone off! I tested my sensors at each wheel and didn't find anything out of the ordinary, so a mechanic friend of mine brought over his $5000 Snap-On computer thingy and hooked it up and did all kinds of tests. He found that ALL 4 wheel sensors were fine, and could find nothing else wrong with my ABS. But I've read (and watched videos) where there are more specialized tools that you can hook up that are specifically designed for checking ABS. Even with brand new rotors and pads all the way around, the light still stays on. I've learned to live with it.

I did remove the ABS fuses and relay, and yes, the light went out. BUT... the Service light with the wrench came on! That's even more annoying because it's higher on the instrument cluster.

After 2 years with my ABS light on, I'm ready to take the instrument cluster apart and put electrical tape over the light! I was going to remove the bulb but found out you can't! It's a permanent light inside the cluster.

So, I just live with it! I hate ABS anyway! I'd rather KNOW I'm going to skid to a stop that HOPE my brakes pulsate enough to stop me! All I know for sure is that my brakes stop me, especially since upgrading to Akebono ceramic pads! Now they don't just slow the car down fast, they actually GRAB with a light touch of the brake pedal. I love these Akebono ceramic pads! They could throw you through the windshield if you're not careful with your foot! (Kidding, but it sure feels that way! Best brake pads I've EVER had on ANY car in my 45 years of driving!
97SL2guy is offline   Reply With Quote