SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 05:54 PM   #1
PanTau

Question Antenna

Hi everybody!

Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the antennas for Saturn is?

Regards,
PanTau

SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2002, 06:19 PM   #2
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

No, but you can pick up a used one at the junk yard for nex to nothing. They unscrew at the base with a wrench. The older Saturns had a straight, smooth antenna. The newer Saturns had an antenna with a twisted look to them. This was done to make them more aerodynamic. Oh, there is also like a one inch difference in their lengths. I replaced the antenna on my 1993 SL2 with one from a totaled 1996 SL2 last summer for $5.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:20 PM   #3
PanTau

Default Antenna

Hi!

Thanks for the tip to look at a junk yard.
But I am still interested to find out who actualy manufactures the antennas for the 2002 Staurns - any tip?!

Regards,
PanTau

Old 04-07-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy

I don't have that info too, but being nosy is it important to know who made the Antenna? It's just a metal stick.....

I wish they offer a power one........but seems unlikely for Domestics.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:07 AM   #5
PanTau

Happy Antenna

Hi!

When I own a car I always try to find out as much information as possible so that I can bug the manufacturers directly

Regards,
PanTau

Old 04-08-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Qlara
Master Member

Happy

Though the OEM Antenna is decent, do you have some manufacturers in mind for good antenna replacement which improve the reception?

Oh yea, it's just a metal stick, but some sticks are better than others......
Old 04-09-2002, 04:22 AM   #7
junebuggy
junebuggy is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

I changed my antenna on my 02 SC1. I hated that long metal stick, sticking out like a eye sore... I went on eBay and bought a 6" flexible black antenna, and I think the car looks better with the short one rather than the OEM one. $10

Looks like this... only my car is red and no bra.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...707348&r=0&t=0
Old 04-09-2002, 08:22 AM   #8
Spanky
Spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by junebuggy
I changed my antenna on my 02 SC1. I hated that long metal stick, sticking out like a eye sore... I went on eBay and bought a 6" flexible black antenna, and I think the car looks better with the short one rather than the OEM one. $10
I was on Ebay the other day looking at that same antenna. Is the reception as good as the factory antenna? They say flexible, does that mean it returns to its original shape, or that it bends like a pretzel and stays that way until you bend it back? I want to replace my original antenna because the whisteling noise is unbearable at highway speeds. I saw there is a TSB for that for the 97 SC.

I really want the antenna that mounts in the middle of the roof like they use on the currents SCs, but then I would have an ugly hole in my front fender to deal with.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:14 AM   #9
Qlara
Master Member

Question

Since when SCx has Roof-mount Euro antenna? :o:

Other than looking for one from EBay, is there any other places to look for something similar?

How's the reception for the Flex-one so far?
Old 04-10-2002, 02:13 AM   #10
junebuggy

2002 SC1

The reception on the flex antenna is about the same as the regular OEM antenna... at least that's what I've noticed. It is VERY flexible and it springs back to its original shape: straight. I usually drive on the freeways of L.A. at 80mph, it's been about 3 months since I bought it and installed it and the antenna is still in its straight shape. Good buy for the money, I think.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:43 AM   #11
Qlara
Master Member

Question

Do you notice if the flex antenna make a lot of wind noise during 80mph? (It's a big thicker in comparison)

The newer OEM one is not as noisy as the old one, that one screens in high speed.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:12 AM   #12
Spanky

Quote:
Originally posted by qlara
Since when SCx has Roof-mount Euro antenna? :o:
Now I'm confused. I've seen at least a couple of the newer SCxs around here with the little roof mounted antennas, so I assumed they switched over to them. After reading your post, I looked on Saturn's website and I don't see any antennas on those pics. Maybe the ones I saw were aftermarket. Me so confused.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #13
Qlara
Master Member

Dizzy

That's why I got confused too, as far as I know Saturn S-series (SL/SC) never had any roof-mount antenna from factory. (Yea, Saturn never cared about being stylish.)

Are those antennas you've seen on the SCs short or long-type like VW's? I wonder if they're antennas for the XM radio....
Old 04-10-2002, 07:19 PM   #14
junebuggy

2002 SC1

Noises from an antenna...? I never noticed the antenna noise... you mean whisting noise because the antenna is being whipped in the air? If that's the case, no noise from the flex one because it stays flexed while driving at 80mph... Sorry, i just never noticed any antenna noise. <:0)
Old 04-11-2002, 12:32 PM   #15
Spanky

Quote:
Originally posted by junebuggy
Noises from an antenna...? I never noticed the antenna noise... you mean whisting noise because the antenna is being whipped in the air? If that's the case, no noise from the flex one because it stays flexed while driving at 80mph... Sorry, i just never noticed any antenna noise. <:0)
Come ride in my car, you will hear plenty of noise. I only really hear it at 75 or above, but I spend enough time at those speeds that it's really anoying. I haven't removed the antenna yet to confirm that is the source of the noise, but I'm willing to bet it is.

As far as the roof mounted antennas I have seen on newer SCs, they are the short angled ones that look just about like the ones VW uses. Next time I see one I'll make sure that is the only antenna.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #16
junebuggy

2002 SC1

Yeah, just try it. For 9.99 + S/H, it's not a bad deal. If you happen to not like it, you could always turn around and sell it to someone else, y'know? <:0) I kind of like those FUBA antennas and would like to see one on a SC. Even better, those stubby antennas that the Mercedes and BMW sedans have mounted on the roof. That'd be nice... <:0)
Old 04-11-2002, 06:10 PM   #17
Qlara
Master Member

june: Yup, the whistling noise at highspeed, but that's mostly happened in older Saturn one only (which is just a plain straight thin metal). The newer one they've a swirl-type of pattern built to the stick, guess it's a solution to cut through air without harmonize the air.....

The Flex antenna you bought does look nice, can it withstand the abuse from car-wash drums?
Old 04-12-2002, 03:05 AM   #18
junebuggy

2002 SC1

I don't know about car wash drums... I go to a "touchless" car wash. <:0) But if it can withstand high speed and has flexibility, i would assume the antenna would be just fine. It would bend along the way with the drums, but it would come right back to its shape... I think. :0)
Old 04-15-2002, 11:51 PM   #19
tcotrel
tcotrel is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Happy

Yes. GM. It's identical to the one from my sister's '94 Cavalier.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:10 PM   #20
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

The only saturns unfortunantly that have a roof mounted antenna are the LW200 and the LW300. I wish my SC2 had one...Im just worried about drilling into the roof to put one in. Has anyone done that?
Closed Thread