SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
SDE56
SDE56 is a jewel in the roughSDE56 is a jewel in the roughSDE56 is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 07 with 2.2 battery symbol remains on

We bought this Vue from a lady that didn't change the oil soon enough and the head gasket was thought to have failed. (White Exhaust and coolant in the oil) I tore it apart and put a new head gasket kit and timing chain kit into it. When I started it for the first time, the battery light stayed on. My first thought was that I had broken or damaged the wire that connects to the alternator. With engine off, and key on, I have battery voltage at the output terminal and I had under ten volts at the single red wire that excites the alternator. I can take the alternator off and have it tested, but if it is good, then I still need to find out what is wrong here. Also, when you turn the key to the on position and the diagnostic test has been completed, shouldn't the red battery symbol stay lit? It goes off, while some lights on the left side of the dash stay on. Any suggestions? TY
SDE
SDE56 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 07 with 2.2 battery symbol remains on

Under 10v at the red wire to the alternator indicates either battery voltage is already partially discharged, an internal short occurred in the alternator or wire damage. That wire is typically a fusible link. The entire wire is calibrated to burn out as a fuse if the alternator develops an internal short to prevent battery damage since the red wire is connected to the battery. Some info says fusible link wires are rated around 25 amps and should never be replaced with ordinary wire.

Did you disconnect the red wire to alternator and measure voltage on the wire?

Is battery voltage 12.5v or not?

Standby voltage should be around 12.5vdc for fully charged batteries. Engine idling should be between 13.5v-15vdc with most around 14.5vdc. The difference of two volts is the alternator providing all the electricity a vehicle needs while recharging the battery after every startup.

You can always drive to your favorite auto store providing free battery and alternator testing. Some may require removal for bench testing. Call ahead remove your alternator and bring it them for bench testing.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:32 PM   #3
SDE56
SDE56 is a jewel in the roughSDE56 is a jewel in the roughSDE56 is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 3.0L

With my cheap little multi meter the battery voltage was 12.45. I have had a Battery Tender on it for a few hours now. I went out and started it and this time it is charging. I am going to check what the voltage is at the connector and see if it is higher than before and evidently the battery just needed to be charged a little more.
TY
SDE
Old 07-07-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
SDE56

2007 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 3.0L

Very embarrassing. I did not look at the red rectangular symbol close enough. I was looking at the coolant level symbol and not the battery symbol. I hate to admit such a foolish mistake but it is important, if in the future someone else attempts to reference this post for their problem.
TY
SDE