SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 03-28-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
burnt orange
burnt orange is a jewel in the roughburnt orange is a jewel in the roughburnt orange is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 03 Saturn Vue...3.0 litre...Has a P2008 code..

And I'm not sure what I need to do as far as checking and replacing

faulty parts..Anyone addressed this before? tia..bo
burnt orange is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 03 Saturn Vue...3.0 litre...Has a P2008 code..

If you have zero issues with engine running and xmission shifts then this error code can be addressed without too much concern as its only purpose is during full throttle acceleration. The other concern may be with emissions inspection if your state has it. You may not notice any difference in full throttle performance as the tuned intake manifold may not give any impressions of fault with this error code. As strange is this may seem, we're not supposed to notice any difference in performance whether with everyday driving or stoplight racing. Subtleties in EFI systems ensures granny or street racing without being slammed into the seat. Lambos, Ferraris and McClarens throws one into the seat on full throttle acceleration. Teslas have this too with evs.

Vues and L300s share the same 3.0L V6 engine so error codes are shared. P2008, intake manifold runner control circuit open. Electronics monitors open or short circuits and this error code suggests an open circuit to the IMRC. The intake manifold runner control solenoid operates a vacuum valve to allow intake air a different path inside the intake manifold passageways. We have in effect, tuning for an increase in performance when flooring the gas pedal. Under normal everyday driving, low to moderate accelerator pedal movement is unnoticeable. Under heavy, wide open throttle acceleration, the tuned intake manifold has a shorter path for intake air to cylinders for an increase in engine power. All seamless to most drivers expecting power when flooring the pedal. When the ecm detects wide open throttle, it sends a signal to the imrc solenoid to power the vacuum valve open. This pulls a butterfly valve inside the intake manifold to redirect air to a shorter path to each cylinders. A short tuned manifold to help with power production. Normal intake air takes a longer path. The imrc uses a 12v solenoid to operate the vacuum valve. The vacuum valve is normally closed with the imrc unpowered. At wide open throttle, the solenoid is powered to operate the vacuum valve from closed to open, applying vacuum to pull the butterfly disc, switching intake airflow from long passages to short passages.

Several things to try before resorting to GM or repair shop for profe$$ional $ervice$. Check all fuses in the engine bay then locate the imrc solenoid and vacuum valve. On my L300, I have three white enameled intake manifold parts, two runners and a central manifold in between the two runners. Throttle is on one side of the central manifold, the other end has the imrc solenoid and vacuum valve connected to linkages into the manifold. A vacuum source is used in two places; a separate dedicated vacuum port for the power assisted brake vacuum boost unit and a plastic box for a vacuum unit to supply vacuum to the imrc vacuum valve. Mine uses distinct blue hard nylon as vacuum lines. If yours uses similar hard nylon vacuum lines, trace them back to the vacuum unit and imrc vacuum valve on the intake manifold. The imrc solenoid should be close by with a wiring connection.

After locating the imrc assembly, exercise the electrical connection by simply disconnecting and reconnecting it. If you are lucky, corrosion prevented electrical connections resulting in an open circuit. Check for wiring damage, dry rot, cracked insulation, corroded terminals (male and female). The solenoid and circuit triggered the error code. This error code, if corrected, may need nothing more than turning on ignition and starting up. If the error code remains then checking for a dead solenoid is next.

Since 12v drives the solenoid, applying 12v battery power should result in it clicking. A resistance measurement with a multimeter should result in ohms, not an open. If open (zero coil resistance), replace it.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
burnt orange
burnt orange is a jewel in the roughburnt orange is a jewel in the roughburnt orange is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 03 Saturn Vue...3.0 litre...Has a P2008 code..

My mechanic just installed new valve cover gaskets and discovered

the error code after everything was back together. He drove the car

with me sitting beside and holding his diagnostics equipment. It

showed the circuit was accepting information but the device was

closed. He told me it probably wasn't a big deal but wanted to let

me know what was happening..I'm not going to mess with it. The

car runs great..150K miles..Thanks for the reply..bo
burnt orange is offline   Reply With Quote