SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #1
SW2 Driver
SW2 Driver has a spectacular aura aboutSW2 Driver has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2
Default Instrument Cluster Swap - Compatibility

I'm considering sourcing a replacement instrument cluster for my 98 SW2 in an effort to repair an on-going issue with my right turn signal (see numerous posts on this!).
There are many clusters available on ebay but I'm wondering what year group clusters are compatible with a 98 SW2 DOHC manual transmission.
Also, is this a simple remove and replace (plug & play) job or is there other things that need to be done? What do you do about the total mileage on the new cluster that obviously won't match the actual car mileage on the car (I don't think jacking the car and running it in reverse like in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" will work). Thanks!
SW2 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Instrument Cluster Swap - Compatibility

Most compatible will be another '98-'99 DOHC cluster but you'll have to write down the current mileage of both clusters to properly count mileage in the future as there's no way to change the mileage with the '98-'99 clusters (unless you buy a brand new, never used one and have a dealer program in the correct mileage before installing & running the cluster).

It's a plug & play swap, guide: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...99cluster.html
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

Thanks!
Cluster swap looks relatively easy...compared to other things I've done.
Ideally I'd like to get a "new" cluster but I don't think that's going to happen so I'll have to risk an ebay or JY unit. A 99 unit will work?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'99 will work, '00-'02 will not; 1 person had limited documented success with a '96 or '97 cluster (which would allow you to change the mileage, but you'd lose the nifty LCD odometer).
Old 09-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

If I'm not mistaken, the 99 cluster has a digital odometer. My cluster does not. Will my car send a signal to a 99 cluster to give a numerical reading to a 99 cluster odometer?
Guess I need to find the actual part number for my cluster...
Old 09-06-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

You either have a rare (early?) '98, or someone already swapped it to a '96-97 cluster if it's mechanical as '98-99 clusters are all supposed to be digital. Use's the same signal either way and mileage is stored in the cluster, but only the mechanical odometer is user serviceable.

Of course, that's assuming you don't have a misread '97...lol
Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The very early 98 model clusters have a mechanical odometer. I do not have the VIN number for the switchover in front of me right now but there are 98 model cars with mechanical odometers.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #8
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

My car is a 98 but it was ordered in August 97 and delivered in Oct 97...So a very late 97 (but a 98 model).
So, I'm assuming a 99 cluster will not work. The back of the 99 cluster doesn't have a connector at the bottom that the 98 cluster has. Think I need a 98 cluster with the old school odometer/mileage numbers. Any idea what the part number is for a 98 cluster...I want to get this right. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #9
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Found the part number & a price for the digital odo cluster, brand new: 21024581 $400 + s/h (PartsVoice says http://collectorsautosupply.com/ has 1, maybe 2 and those are the last 2 documented left in the USA)

Can't find the '97 part number (should be the same as your '98) but if you can find it PartsVoice should tell you how many & where it's located.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 98-99 digital swap fine. The 98 mechanical and digital swap fine. So a 99 should work. If you have strange extra connectors how about a picture as they are NOT shown on any electrical drawing OR the parts book harness diagrams.

There are lots of the 96-99 clusters. http://car-part.com/index.htm

Below are the 2 screens you have to make momentous decisions on to get the long list. You should have several close for 25-35$. Fill in the appropriate boxes and get one for testing to see if it is fixed.

I would install 1 with the digital odo as the mechanical is going to be stripping gears soon.

There are 38 pages of mechanical odo 98 clusters which just happens to include all 97 as well. The 96 works but is slightly different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2015-09-06_08-43.jpg (78.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screen-2015-09-06_08-44.jpg (45.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

I don't know specifically what the lower back area of my instrument cluster looks like without removing it but looking at pictures on ebay and other places it appears that there is a connector difference between the 97-98 cluster and the 99 cluster. The earlier cluster has (what looks like) a connector in the lower part of the cluster. The newer cluster does not:

97-98:

Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That thing you have circled is the Odometer bulb recess.
As I said before the DIGITAL odometer cluster from any 98 or 99 is compatible with the early 98 with mechanical odometer.

The shape of the printed circuit is different, not the function

That is NOT a connector fort you to worry about, it is for assembly testing ONLY.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
lowflyer
lowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to alllowflyer is a name known to all

2001 SWP
2000 SWP

i don't know if these saturns are this way or not, but with others, (with digital odometer), the actual mileage memory is kept by the pcm. i imported a rhd jeep from japan several years ago. the odometer was in km. and other gauges metric. i didn't feel like doing a math problem every time i looked at the speedometer, so i got a salvage yard panel. it was a simple push it into the plug installation, and all gauges worked properly, along with converting the odometer to miles, at the correct converted reading.
lowflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You are incorrect here. The mileage is on the ODO drive board and is NOT resettable, ever. The mechanical odometer is sealed with an eggshell to detect tampering. With the advent of the BCM in 2000 the mileage moved into the BCM as the entire cluster is driven by a single wire serial data link to the BCM.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #15
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

So, will a instrument cluster with a digital display odometer work with a car that was built for a cluster with an analog display? What is sending the signal to the digital display and what will the odometer read...the current mileage of the car?
I'm skeptical that my car has the ability to work with a digital display odometer (although it would be nice)...
Old 09-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Both are driven by the exact same signal, 5000 pulses from the VSS shaped by the PCM. The mileage is stored in the cluster for both. The Factory Service Manual says they swap. The parts book lists the digital as a replacement for the mechanical. The 98 and 99 clusters swap. There is no way to correct the mileage.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #17
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

Ok...thanks for the information.
I now believe my turn-signal problem lies within the instrument cluster. Beside me, two auto electricians have gone through the wiring and have not been able to find a short/chaffed wire/corrosion of any kind. When the right turn signal blows the fuse, the circuit is immediately sound again...sometimes for days (up to a month)...sometimes without any change in condition (i.e.blow the fuse, replace it, good to go for a week or so)...making troubleshooting this problem a nightmare. Oh, and it NEVER blows in cool weather.
The only component left in the system that I haven't replaced (unless I'm missing something) is the cluster.
My other option is to find a bad part of town, leave the keys in the ignition and run away...and every time the fuse blows, I'm tempted to do it...
Old 09-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Spend $25.00 and replace the cluster. Be sure to check every light bulb before installing the replacement and after mounting just the cluster check again then assemble the remainder of the dash.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2 Driver View Post
So, will a instrument cluster with a digital display odometer work with a car that was built for a cluster with an analog display? What is sending the signal to the digital display and what will the odometer read...the current mileage of the car?
I'm skeptical that my car has the ability to work with a digital display odometer (although it would be nice)...
The '99 swap has been confirmed to work - members have used the 1999 Anniversary (white gauge face) clusters in their '97 cars. You're stuck with the odometer mileage of the car it came from.

For sure, replace the odometer bulb before you put the new cluster in, even if it is currently working
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #20
SW2 Driver

1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
For sure, replace the odometer bulb before you put the new cluster in, even if it is currently working
What's the bulb type (just one?) and where can you get it...?