SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
MrAnon
MrAnon is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Question To EVO or not to EVO?

95 SC2 w/86,000 miles (not a typo). Power steering gave up the ghost and I've now gone through 3 defective remans and 2 new pumps that were the wrong ones - no EVO. It seems that EVO-equipped pumps are now more rare than an honest politician. New hoses, pressure line has the sending unit (the pressure line does go up and forward of the return line at the steering box, right?) Fresh fluid, bled each time I installed a pump, flushed system with hand vacuum twice. Even got a new pulley in case the OEM was somehow out of true. Each reman has still screamed like a banshee and provided jerky assist.

So the question is...what horrible things would happen if I install this new AC/Delco pump that Rock Auto sent me that has no EVO? Just tuck the plug up out of the way and go without?

Question the second: At low RPM, while driving, when I turn the steering wheel the engine bogs down heavily and more effort is required. Increasing RPMs increases the assist. It's done this with all 3 of the remans and was doing it with the OEM. Is it just my horrid luck with the pumps or could something else be causing that? Could the PCM be sending a bad signal to the EVO solenoid or the wiring between them damaged?

Thanks for the forthcoming advice, y'all!
MrAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: To EVO or not to EVO?

The solenoid is in the pump and can be swapped. There are only 2 different pumps.

---- Do you know if you have the through hole pump or the threaded hole pump?

As has been pointed out by many, if you need a pump you get it from the JY. The aftermarket is just about all junk at a higher price.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 PM   #3
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Sounds like the entire car needs to be trashed. It's a downhill slope that will just get steeper after that power steering issue. I'd fricken dump that car as fast as you can on the first person that offers to pick it up from you.

P.S. PM me an address, and I'll get that pig out of your way.

That's a lot of pumps to go through. I had to get a pump and had no issues with the local Autozone unit. Have you checked out the rack and steering components for possible issues?

I guess the idea of a bad signal is possible, but I've never really looked at what drives the EVO.
Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 AM   #4
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the roughmattwithcats is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

There is a Pick N Pull on Sykes Ave, near Oceana Navy Base, Virginia Beach...

Lots of Saturn's in there, near the front too.
2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Maximum Power 0W-30, Champion COS3600...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

I've posted this before, along with OldNuc. Reman pumps are junk. It is best to find a low mile JY unit. The EVO can be swapped over. Remove the c-clip by the connector. The connector and housing will come off. Then you can put a 30mm socket on the solenoid. Note the orientation of the connector before removal for re-install.
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
MrAnon

1995 SC2

Thanks for the replies. Got that JY pump is a good way to go - been to the PlucknPay before.

The basic question remains, though - will bad things happen if I just go with the new non-EVO pump I've got in hand? I've got the pump, the car's already on the jackstands with everything off, etc. The stuff I've read leads me to believe it wouldn't cause any problems but none of it was Saturn-specific.

It's possible, I suppose, but seemingly unlikely that 4 EVO solenoids (1 OEM + 3 reman) would be bad. Could something else in the system be causing the engine loading when turning at low speed/stopped?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
lamping.ap
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

No EVO is fine, but you can swap the EVO over without too much effort. Bad bearing in the pumps could cause this.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnon View Post
Thanks for the replies. Got that JY pump is a good way to go - been to the PlucknPay before.

The basic question remains, though - will bad things happen if I just go with the new non-EVO pump I've got in hand? I've got the pump, the car's already on the jackstands with everything off, etc. The stuff I've read leads me to believe it wouldn't cause any problems but none of it was Saturn-specific.

It's possible, I suppose, but seemingly unlikely that 4 EVO solenoids (1 OEM + 3 reman) would be bad. Could something else in the system be causing the engine loading when turning at low speed/stopped?
EVO is just a solenoid that attaches to the high pressure side of the pump. I accidentally bought a non evo pump once (traded the evo pump in for a core ) and installed it just fine.
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
MrAnon

1995 SC2

I also used the OEM for a core and that's why I can't just transfer the solenoid - don't have one! And, of course, that the non-EVO pump doesn't have a place to put the solenoid (that I can see)...
Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnon View Post
I also used the OEM for a core and that's why I can't just transfer the solenoid - don't have one! And, of course, that the non-EVO pump doesn't have a place to put the solenoid (that I can see)...
Pretty sure it screws / clips into where the pressure hose goes.... it's been awhile.
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #11
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

just out of curiosity .are you filling the the system and bleeding out the air by turning the wheel rack to rack 10 times 1st..or are you just starting the car and adding fluid while it's making noise?????
shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
MrAnon

1995 SC2

Actually, I'm disconnecting the return line and using a hand vacuum pump to suck the fluid out (while keeping the reservoir filled). Then reconnecting and turning side to side, while on jackstands, 25 full cycles. Then driving a few miles and rechecking the fluid level. It seems a bit like overkill, but it lets me do a flush and bleed at the same time.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
MrAnon

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi111y View Post
Pretty sure it screws / clips into where the pressure hose goes.... it's been awhile.
But where does the electrical plug receptacle screw into the pump body of the non-EVO pump? It's separate from the pressure line
Old 05-22-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
lamping.ap

1998 SC2

Check out the attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: png evo1.png (124.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 PM   #15
MrAnon

1995 SC2

An excellent drawing, thank you. However. The non-EVO pump doesn't have a receptacle for the solenoid to go into. That's the point I've been trying to make. All the advice to transfer the solenoid doesn't work if the pump has no place for it to go.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are exactly 2 pump bodies, no more. There are fittings for the EVO or non EVO setup. If you have an EVO equipped pump and a non EVO pump you should be able to spot the differences. The parts will swap. You will need the pump o-ring rebuild kit for the EVO o-rings or it will leak. Rock Auto or the local parts store. GATES Part # 348371 or the equivalent, the kit must be for the EVO equipped pump though.

As I posted way back in post#2, go to the junk yard and get an EVO pump with the correct bracket attachment method to fit your car. Aftermarket pumps are not worth what this is going to cost you.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote