saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Mad Pissed off

To start off: The relation I hold with the person in question shall be withheld, but suffice to say there's a personal obligation to resolve the situation, unless the entirety of the forum really wants to know:

So the certain aforementioned was the owner of a 93 Saturn SL2 in the rare "Blueblack" color, with teardrop alloy wheels, relatively high level of options aside, inherited it from a very elderly man at only 50k miles, it had 68k last time I saw it. A couple days ago I received a set of pictures to accompany the message "My car died". A hole in the crank case just underneath the exhaust manifold.

The obvious conclusion is that, this person whom I've told many times to keep an eye on your oil, let it burn dry, and bam; a rod.

So since this individual cannot afford a shop job and because an undamaged body with 68k miles is worth saving itself, I will be doing an engine swap with a fellow friend of mine out in Michigan. Still, the rage is palpable, I am swimming in it.
'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Pissed off

No good engines in your area?

That really does burn when someone runs an engine out of oil.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
No good engines in your area?

That really does burn when someone runs an engine out of oil.
Person in question resides in Michigan, and my SC2 is not hauling a complete engine 350 miles.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

They will fit though. Are you acquiring this car in the deal?

Last edited by OldNuc; 06-02-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Even when mated with an auto Transmission. I've proved it! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177251)
MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:53 AM   #6
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

I'm fixing the car, getting paid for it and everything. Like mentioned, this person is close to me, family as far as I'm concerned. We're going to be acquiring a scrap transmission from in Michigan, or from the Saturn yard in Soldier Kansas.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle Dazzle View Post
I'm fixing the car, getting paid for it and everything. Like mentioned, this person is close to me, family as far as I'm concerned. We're going to be acquiring a scrap transmission from in Michigan, or from the Saturn yard in Soldier Kansas.
I'll say who made me rage. I convinced my ex (when we were dating of course) to get a Saturn. She loved it. It was a '95 SL2. I lectured her on checking the oil. What does she do? Let it run low. Engine seized. Gets engine replaced. Fries the F-5 (or whatever it would be in a '95) connector after I told her to not use a cell charger.

I have no idea what happened to that poor little Saturn, "Troy". I hope he's in a better place. Last I saw, she's driving a new red Chevy something or other. Hopefully she has a warranty on it.
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
What is wrong with the transmission?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Has anyone noticed when there is a story with “Michigan” in it, the news is not good?

Some people will not check or change their oil. If you tell them how important it is, they will find someone with the opposite opinion. “Well, so and so has a brand-x and he only changes oil every 6000 miles.”
Part of getting old and crotchety means not worrying about other’s stuff when they do not care about it themselves. Some people were meant to have neglected, broken mechanical devices. When they start dismissing your helpful advice with a smirk, it’s time to adjust your priorities.
If pushed far enough, you will become evil and look forward to the day they have to take the buss.
It’s too late for me , so save yourself from becoming old and crotchety!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

The DOHC engines all throw rods when run low on oil, Theres four of them right now at my junkyard that have this, All from 93-01 and all are Twin Cams, Running the engine out of oil is one of the most irresponsible things a person could do to a car, They should take the bus or taxi and not own one.
2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Been there, done that.

I hope he's making it worth your while.
85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Reminds me of last year when I came upon a blue satty with it's hood up.
Girl says parents bought the $1900 car for her a month ago. Said last week she had to add 4 qt oil. I ask what is wrong with the car now, says it died while going 60.....and will crank but not fire up. I pulled oil dipstick, bone dry. Oh, she says, the little oil symbol came on while driving today. How long did she drive after she saw the light I ask? ....answers me that she kept on going for a few miles, then the car died.
Had a tow truck coming already, but I said she best be looking for another engine if she wanted to still drive this car again. I also told her what she had done wrong about the oil light....
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
What is wrong with the transmission?

I mistyped it and didn't catch my error until 15 minutes had past. I meant engine.

To everyone else: My friend and I are being compensated, and non-mechanical friend is going to be forced to sit and watch. He claims to have learned his lesson the hard way, but I intend to hammer it in there, since this'll be done in a detached garage in the middle of July(probably), sweltering heat will be involved probably.

The part that pisses me off the most is the poor car only has 68k, the odometer has never broken.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Don't forget the biting flies and twin engine mosquitoes.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
.... and twin engine mosquitoes.
The State Bird of Michigan....
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
since this'll be done in a detached garage in the middle of July(probably), sweltering heat will be involved probably.
Meh. Did a 5spd swap & H&R Sport spring upgrade to a '93 SL2 in the dirt during the hottest week of July (unmowed that year too so the grass was nearly 2ft tall). To make it even more fun I had never done it before (only I worked on it) and at the time the directions on the 5spd swap were about as useful as the Haynes manual I turned into kindling because any time it got more complicated than "open the hood" it said to take it to a mechanic.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
... about as useful as the Haynes manual I turned into kindling because any time it got more complicated than "open the hood" it said to take it to a mechanic.
I have noticed that about many supposed DIY books and manuals, absolutely no useful information.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #18
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The State Bird of Michigan....
A case of pic coils and a box fan.
Set the coil near the fan. It will distribute the pic without making you gag
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #19
lewdwig
lewdwig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
A case of pic coils and a box fan.
Set the coil near the fan. It will distribute the pic without making you gag
I think breathing those pic coils at drive-in movies took several years off my life.
lewdwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #20
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdwig View Post
I think breathing those pic coils at drive-in movies took several years off my life.
They used to smell better when you could buy Vietnam surplus. The current Malaysian ones are very harsh. People in MI are mosquito coil aficionados