Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Rebuild Questions, v2.0

Heyy all,

Stripped the motor down again for the second time this year with the noble goal of not committing the same heinous errors as my last rebuild, notably in the selection of machine shops, and my communication as to what I was looking for with them ha.

Just a couple questions now since I've gotten it torn down. Number one, I was tipping the head as I was laying it down after removing the cams, and three of the intake rollers fell off - I can't be sure exactly which valve they each went to. I'll be replacing the lifters and polishing the cams - if a roller made it onto the wrong cam follower, will I have issues, or do y'all think I'll be okay?

The rear of my crank (where the rear seal rides) has a light groove worn in it - because I had a wicked seal leak there after assembly this last time, should I be worried I'll be leaking again?

I used ultrablack RTV on my oil pan during assembly. I think I may have been a little light on the quantity, and I found evidence of little leaks around the pan on disassembly, though nothing major. Also, several of the oil pan screws
removed easily by hand - I know I double and triple checked torque on each fastener...I was terrified of under-torquing or stripping ANYTHING in the block. Maybe I'll splurge for a good in-lbs torque wrench and make sure I'm at the full 98 in-lbs?

Anyway, what majorly concerns me is the amount of small bits of RTV I found laying in the pan, and sucked up into the screen of the oil pickup, especially given the fact that I likely used too little RTV in the first place. Should I use something like The Right Stuff instead?

Thanks all, much appreciated!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Rebuild Questions, v2.0

Get a torque wrench, watch squeeze out from timing cover, use The Right Stuff, Get a crank repair sleeve fitted or carefully position seal so it is not in the grove.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Re: Rebuild Questions, v2.0

I actually used Loctite 518 as you recommended on the timing cover and am real impressed with how it held up. Got another tube of it for this build! I'll talk to the machine shop about that groove...the car became nothing but a pain with all that oil spewing out of the rear seal. The flywheel's friction surface was even oil soaked!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote