SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
skon1212
skon1212 is on a distinguished road

Default New Owner, Couple Questions

Well I pulled the string on buying a 2004 Vue Redline for $5500. Overall I am pretty happy because this car was Clean and well taken care of. No leaks at all and I went through the problem checklist and everything checked out so far. The questions I have are:
Do these tend to run hot? The temp guage read about 50/50 until I pulled a steep hill with the AC on in about 104 degree weather. It started to creep to around 3/4 hot, but never hit it. When I got to the top of the hill, it went back to 50/50 pretty quick. May need a new Thermostat, but not sure.
When I use the turn signal, there is a normal click, but it also has a slight creak as well, just seems odd and wondered if anyone else heard this.
The windshield washer jets dont work so I was wondering if anyone else had this issue.
Finally, the MPG was suspect on my trip from Palm Springs to Phx. I got just under 22mpg, but I did around 85mph most of the way, so that may be the issue.
Anyway, I am happy with the car so far and it is really comfortable to drive and being 6'5", i dont say that often.
Here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Vue.JPG (143.9 KB, 23 views)
skon1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: New Owner, Couple Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by skon1212 View Post
Well I pulled the string on buying a 2004 Vue Redline for $5500. Overall I am pretty happy because this car was Clean and well taken care of. No leaks at all and I went through the problem checklist and everything checked out so far. The questions I have are:
Do these tend to run hot? The temp guage read about 50/50 until I pulled a steep hill with the AC on in about 104 degree weather. It started to creep to around 3/4 hot, but never hit it. When I got to the top of the hill, it went back to 50/50 pretty quick. May need a new Thermostat, but not sure.
When I use the turn signal, there is a normal click, but it also has a slight creak as well, just seems odd and wondered if anyone else heard this.
The windshield washer jets dont work so I was wondering if anyone else had this issue.
Finally, the MPG was suspect on my trip from Palm Springs to Phx. I got just under 22mpg, but I did around 85mph most of the way, so that may be the issue.
Anyway, I am happy with the car so far and it is really comfortable to drive and being 6'5", i dont say that often.
Here she is:
Congrats on the Vue!

Mine hasn't gone above half yet. Granted, we haven't seen 100 degrees too much here, but pretty close. Mine usually hovers a little past 1/4. Unless anyone else in the heat-belt can confirm your reading as normal, I'd start looking for a cause.

Washers: it could be possible the pump is bad. I wrote a how to on replacing it. You may discover a line pinched if you trace it to the bottle.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...dshield+washer

Turn signal stalk isn't exactly quiet. What you're hearing could be normal. At minimum, they sound like a chicken bone being snapped.

Check your tire pressure. On my trip back to PA from Florida after buying mine (AWD), I got as good as 26.4 and as low as 22.1 with the cruise set mostly at 75. I later discovered the tire pressure was only 30psi. The other tanks were at least 25.5. I suspect crappy fuel from the BP station in Tennessee.

I made a 3 hour trip with speeds around 60 on mostly 2-lane country driving. I modulated the throttle in attempt to keep it from downshifting as much as possible. Mine got 25.8 for that trip.

I'd say anything above 75, and you'll notice a pretty decent decline in fuel economy. Setting it at 85 for most of the trip is likely the problem. I'm still anxious to take a long interstate trip with mine again, with the new, properly inflated tires, to see if I can get 28 or better. I plan to keep the cruise set no higher than 70, which would be the speed limit for the most part, if we get down to Florida again.
Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Are you saying you went 85mph up a steep hill in 104F weather with the A/C on ?

I can imagine the gauge going up a bit. Was this at a higher altitude as well?

If you have a V6 22mpg is pretty good for that speed.

How about your weight? Did you have much cargo?
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
skon1212

I was at Sea Level at the start. It was just me and a suit case and I weigh about 225. I am going to change the radiator fluid and see if it helps. I have to make the trip again next week and dont plan on doing 85 again. I was in a hurry on this trip, but will have more cargo. So far, all is good, and I found a set of take off tires, 245/55/18's which I will probly pick up this week. The people want $350 for them and they are the BFG spec's that some people on here recommended. It will be interesting to see how it does after the coolant change.
Oh yeah, some have said to clean out the lower AC condensor. What is the best way? Compressed air?
Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I was at Sea Level at the start. It was just me and a suit case and I weigh about 225. I am going to change the radiator fluid and see if it helps. I have to make the trip again next week and dont plan on doing 85 again. I was in a hurry on this trip, but will have more cargo. So far, all is good, and I found a set of take off tires, 245/55/18's which I will probly pick up this week. The people want $350 for them and they are the BFG spec's that some people on here recommended. It will be interesting to see how it does after the coolant change.
Oh yeah, some have said to clean out the lower AC condensor. What is the best way? Compressed air?
Thanks again.
"take off tires"... as in used tires? If your Vue is AWD, make sure the tread depth matches on all tires.

If they're like new, as in at least 8-9/32 tread depth, $350 doesn't sound too bad, but for $120 more (roughly, if you really shop around), you could have brand new ones. As I said in other threads, I paid $470 total for all 4 of mine.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Well, if you suspect cooling system problems, you might either check, replace, or in this case even just remove the thermostat.

Assuming that you have checked the general condition and fluid levels, etc.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
skon1212

Well according to the guys selling the tires, they have 8 miles on them. He basically drove the car for a test drive then had the dealer put on aftermarket wheels and tires. Looking at the pics, the do look pretty much brand new. Of course it all depends what my tire dealer can do. I have bought alot from them and sent them alot of business, so they owe me one.
I am gonna check the coolant condition tomorrow as I have to do a long trip this coming week. I did do about a 75 mile trip today pulling some hills, but I didn't lead foot, 70-75, and it barely went over half hot and as soon as I hit the downhill, it went back down to just over 1/4. I am going to change the coolant anyway. The guys did do some services and gave me all the receipts, but no coolant changes so far.
The Vue is definately growing on me.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Well according to the guys selling the tires, they have 8 miles on them. He basically drove the car for a test drive then had the dealer put on aftermarket wheels and tires. Looking at the pics, the do look pretty much brand new. Of course it all depends what my tire dealer can do. I have bought alot from them and sent them alot of business, so they owe me one.
I am gonna check the coolant condition tomorrow as I have to do a long trip this coming week. I did do about a 75 mile trip today pulling some hills, but I didn't lead foot, 70-75, and it barely went over half hot and as soon as I hit the downhill, it went back down to just over 1/4. I am going to change the coolant anyway. The guys did do some services and gave me all the receipts, but no coolant changes so far.
The Vue is definately growing on me.
Considering those tires are the stock tire for the new Camaro, I can see why the seller went with something different over the stock wheel. That's a great price. Grab those, and wheel & deal with your tire place for mount & balance.

I'm thinking your temp gauge is about right. Fresh coolant won't hurt. I gave some advice on your stereo post.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
coolvue
coolvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I have had the temp go up on occasion in the summer, too.
coolvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
AJEsquire
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

I just got my Vue RL 2 weeks ago and LOVE it, haven't had temp problems yet. I am in WI and had to travel to Michigan to find one! Unfortunately it wasn't AWD, but beggars can't be choosers! At least it has traction control and I don't have to worry about replacing that center ring on the shaft that i was told wears out and costs 1k, to replace ;-). Plus I get better gas mileage! lol
When you have temp issues and concerned about gas and don't know why it seems low? I get a compression test done to make sure my spark plugs are firing correctly, but thats just me...cost 100+ to get done but is also the test that is rarely checked and that issue can go unnoticed for awhile.

I can't wait to get my system and remote starter put in it! Also, buy a complete fuel cleaner (not just fuel injector) the previous owner may have never used one! That always helps with gas mileage because of the cleaning of the fuel injectors of course!

2005 Black RL bought July 21st
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
I just got my Vue RL 2 weeks ago and LOVE it, haven't had temp problems yet. I am in WI and had to travel to Michigan to find one! Unfortunately it wasn't AWD, but beggars can't be choosers! At least it has traction control and I don't have to worry about replacing that center ring on the shaft that i was told wears out and costs 1k, to replace ;-). Plus I get better gas mileage! lol
When you have temp issues and concerned about gas and don't know why it seems low? I get a compression test done to make sure my spark plugs are firing correctly, but thats just me...cost 100+ to get done but is also the test that is rarely checked and that issue can go unnoticed for awhile.

I can't wait to get my system and remote starter put in it! Also, buy a complete fuel cleaner (not just fuel injector) the previous owner may have never used one! That always helps with gas mileage because of the cleaning of the fuel injectors of course!

2005 Black RL bought July 21st
I flew to Florida to buy my '05 AWD Red Line in December... There just wasn't anything within an 8 hour drive of here worth looking at for the price. Considering I spent $240 for the plane ticket, and under $200 to drive it back, the money I saved on the deal well made up for it. I would've paid at least $1,000 more for the same thing anywhere up north - AWD.

As for replacing the center carrier bearing, they're pretty inexpensive, and not very hard to do yourself... well under $100. Whoever told you $1,000 was smoking something.

As for gas mileage, my AWD Red Line isn't really any worse than my '04 FWD V6. It's a little worse around town since I had the torque converter campaign done, but nothing major. I can push 27 MPG on the highway, which is very good for an AWD V6 with some balls. Midnight13 has gotten 30MPG with her '05 AWD V6 (non-Red Line), which is amazing.

Probably the best fuel treatment to use is Chevron Techron. It's the exact same stuff the GM dealers sell for over $30 a bottle, and you can usually pick it up on sale B1G1 at Advance Auto Parts for around $13 for the 20 oz. bottles.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
I flew to Florida to buy my '05 AWD Red Line in December... There just wasn't anything within an 8 hour drive of here worth looking at for the price. Considering I spent $240 for the plane ticket, and under $200 to drive it back, the money I saved on the deal well made up for it. I would've paid at least $1,000 more for the same thing anywhere up north - AWD.

As for replacing the center carrier bearing, they're pretty inexpensive, and not very hard to do yourself... well under $100. Whoever told you $1,000 was smoking something.

As for gas mileage, my AWD Red Line isn't really any worse than my '04 FWD V6. It's a little worse around town since I had the torque converter campaign done, but nothing major. I can push 27 MPG on the highway, which is very good for an AWD V6 with some balls. Midnight13 has gotten 30MPG with her '05 AWD V6 (non-Red Line), which is amazing.

Probably the best fuel treatment to use is Chevron Techron. It's the exact same stuff the GM dealers sell for over $30 a bottle, and you can usually pick it up on sale B1G1 at Advance Auto Parts for around $13 for the 20 oz. bottles.

Boy I wish I could have found an AWD one, but I couldn't afford to buy a ticket to go look at one that may have been a bust. Pictures can hide a lot, I found this out after a 4hr drive to look at one! lol. BUT at least I have traction control lol. AND i was on at time schedule. My 2002 altima which was manual..the clutch was going...fast....needed to use it as a trade in before it went and I would have had to put a good 5k into getting a new clutch. And as I had hoped..they didn't notice it was going (or didn't care since they were gonna take it to auction after I traded it in anywaze) because they gave me top dollar for the trade in. It is in excellent condition with 113,00 miles on it AND I have a two year bumper to bumper warranty so I could not be happier...you could tell by how the driver's side leather was not worn with cracks in it that it must have been owned by a small woman or something. lol we will see how well the traction control does in the snow up here. At least I know it works since If I punch it..in only squeals for a moment lolol.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Boy I wish I could have found an AWD one, but I couldn't afford to buy a ticket to go look at one that may have been a bust. Pictures can hide a lot, I found this out after a 4hr drive to look at one! lol. BUT at least I have traction control lol. AND i was on at time schedule. My 2002 altima which was manual..the clutch was going...fast....needed to use it as a trade in before it went and I would have had to put a good 5k into getting a new clutch. And as I had hoped..they didn't notice it was going (or didn't care since they were gonna take it to auction after I traded it in anywaze) because they gave me top dollar for the trade in. It is in excellent condition with 113,00 miles on it AND I have a two year bumper to bumper warranty so I could not be happier...you could tell by how the driver's side leather was not worn with cracks in it that it must have been owned by a small woman or something. lol we will see how well the traction control does in the snow up here. At least I know it works since If I punch it..in only squeals for a moment lolol.
If it's anything like my FWD, don't expect miracles in snow. You may want to look into a good set of snow tires for all 4 wheels.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 08-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
If it's anything like my FWD, don't expect miracles in snow. You may want to look into a good set of snow tires for all 4 wheels.
I think I will be okay, there are 6 people with small SUV's in my office that are front wheel drive that had no problem last winter and they don't even have traction control. So I think I will be okay :-)
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #15
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I think I will be okay, there are 6 people with small SUV's in my office that are front wheel drive that had no problem last winter and they don't even have traction control. So I think I will be okay :-)
I'm in Pennsylvania, and my '04 FWD V6 (non-Red Line) has traction control... don't expect it to be that great in the snow without good tires. My '04 will lay a patch of rubber before the traction control kicks in... not good on slick surfaces. Plus, the Red Line's 245 width is definitely not in its favor for snow traction.

Hell... my AWD Red Line was horrible with 1-2" of snow on the ground with the Bridgestone Turanzas on it last winter. AWD means nothing if the tires can't grip. If AWD barely helps, traction control is useless.

Your average little lightweight FWD SUV isn't wearing 245/50/18s with 250hp on tap. Traction control is barely helpful if the tires can't get traction.

Again, if you're planning to do a lot of snow driving with a FWD Red Line, you should seriously invest in snow tires.

Good tires, bottom line, will make or break a Vue when it comes to driving in snow, especially when you have a rev-happy 250hp V6 under the hood.

If my '04 has trouble with these tires (pictured below)...

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

...My 06' AWD RL temp gauge always runs between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark even in hot weather ,on trips I get about 27mpg , keeping it under 80 . I also 2nd the idea of getting a 2nd set of steel wheels and snow tires [ 16'' is fine ], it'll save the 18'' wheels from getting killed by salt and such,and better traction in the snow,especially when the 18''factory ones start to wear , just my.02, DC
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote