SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 08-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
jazzy1986
jazzy1986 has a spectacular aura aboutjazzy1986 has a spectacular aura aboutjazzy1986 has a spectacular aura about

Default 2003 L200 BCM problems?

My l200 with 88k miles recently developed strange problems, like; wrench light on without any code, gages not working, odometer not working, car not shifting out of park sometimes, AC not working (work sometimes), constant chimes, etc. Car starts and drives fine when I can get out of park. I figured it could be a bad BCM, so I purchased a used BCM (for same model) and put it in the car. Now the car starts but wouldn't shift out of park at all, fuel and temp gages swing all the way to the right, AC still wouldn't work. What could be wrong with this? Can anyone help please? Thanks.
jazzy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
jazzy1986
jazzy1986 has a spectacular aura aboutjazzy1986 has a spectacular aura aboutjazzy1986 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2003 L200 BCM problems?

pardon my spelling mistakes. but I need help.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-The wrench indicator cannot be read by generic store readers. SES/CEL indicators can be read by these readers. Only better readers can decode wrench codes aside from GM.

2-Search for the 30-minute relearn procedures to marry the replacement bcm to the EFI system since this bcm cannot work or in your case, partially. Normally a fuel password is learned and shared after the 3rd 10-minute ignition ON cycle so the bcm is adopted by the original EFI system.

3-There's a brake/transmission shift interlock solenoid that is operated by the bcm when the brake pedal is pressed to allow shifting out of Park. The manual method is to lift the shift cover to expose the plastic lock tab and move it out of the way to allow shifter movement.

4-Forget about the a/c issues until you have the bcm issue sorted out. Unless you know and have wiring schematics for your car, you're troubleshooting many issues tied to the bcm, including the a/c signal that goes through the bcm to the pcm to turn on the a/c system.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
jazzy1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
1-The wrench indicator cannot be read by generic store readers. SES/CEL indicators can be read by these readers. Only better readers can decode wrench codes aside from GM.

2-Search for the 30-minute relearn procedures to marry the replacement bcm to the EFI system since this bcm cannot work or in your case, partially. Normally a fuel password is learned and shared after the 3rd 10-minute ignition ON cycle so the bcm is adopted by the original EFI system.

3-There's a brake/transmission shift interlock solenoid that is operated by the bcm when the brake pedal is pressed to allow shifting out of Park. The manual method is to lift the shift cover to expose the plastic lock tab and move it out of the way to allow shifter movement.

4-Forget about the a/c issues until you have the bcm issue sorted out. Unless you know and have wiring schematics for your car, you're troubleshooting many issues tied to the bcm, including the a/c signal that goes through the bcm to the pcm to turn on the a/c system.
Thanks for the prompt response.
1. I had the Saturn dealer scan for codes and there weren't any.
2. Did the 30 minute relearn and car starts now.
3. I will try that next.
4. In Texas we need AC before we need a car. no pun intended.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy1986 View Post
..... 4. In Texas we need AC before we need a car. no pun intended.
Heh-heh, Texas eh? I see USA temps and Texas seems to be the HOT state......

If things get sorted out, post again with a/c symptoms as its a topic all by itself.
VCX NANO
Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
jazzy1986

finally had a new BCM installed and programmed by the dealer. total cost $460. I have a/c and all the gauges are working.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
vwsquare71
vwsquare71 is on a distinguished road

I'm having similar issues and wanted to see if you experienced the same thing with your A/C since it wasn't clear as to the issue you were having.

The issue I'm having is that the A/C works at btw 60-65 degrees. But when I hit 65-66--67, etc, the A/C will warm up slightly and then maybe a few seconds/minutes later, it feels like it's much warmer, sometimes, like 80 degrees.

But then when I crank it back to 60 it gets cold again.

Did you experience the same thing? Thanks for your help.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with fuel efficiency as well where replacing the BCM made a difference.

Peter
vwsquare71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

vwsquare71, it would be great if jazzy1986 replies. It's difficult if he replies when his last comment was 8 yrs ago.

My guess is the bcm was the only problem because the auto climate control system sends signals to the bcm which sends it to the ecm. The ecm commands power to the ac compressor. With a faulty bcm, there are many functions that can fail; ac, error code generation and passing it thru the OBD II port, GMs Passlock anti theft system, interior/exterior lighting, etc.

Since you're not reporting engine or xmission issues, my guess is you have an ac problem. Your descriptions can be an ac temperature sensor, refrigeration system or temperature door issue. Auto climate control is a semi automated hvac system with a small control module in the hvac control head. It controls turning on ac, mode and temperature doors. A temperature sensor behind a small round grille above the bottom row of buttons detects cabin temps by suction. Personally, I doubt this sensor failed as it sits in relative comfort and only monitors temps between sub freezing cold to around 140F from midday sun in desert areas. This sensor is also used in the cooling system as well as xmission temperature sensor so it has a broad range of temperatures to operate in. If it fails outright, there should be definite symptoms and I don't know what they are. I'd be more concerned about the entire climate control head failing or if the sealed ac system has a problem.

If the temperature door actuator is flaky and sticking, it may mix heater air into cold air to give more heat than desired. Locate the small coin size grille on the hvac control panel and blow on it. There's a rubber hose connecting the temperature sensor to the inlet side of the blower for a vacuum source so cabin air flows into the sensor for temperature measurement. A very light vacuum is generated for interior air temperature measurement. Dirt and dust may collect on the tiny thermister to alter temperature sensing. The temperature door can be heard sometimes moving when selecting from cold to hot. Actuators can fail. Checking the refrigeration system for operation can be easy or difficult.

One simple way to determine if ac cooling is correct would be grabbing the ac line at the firewall. Only one should feel warm while the other feel cold and sweaty. The cold and sweaty line is the output of refrigerant leaving the hvac evaporator coils returning to the compressor. This line should not be freezing, Another ac line to feel by hand is the compressor output discharge line from either the compressor or at the condenser coil in front of the radiator. The discharge line should be hot to the touch, above 125F. When selecting 60F/coldest temp or 65F, the compressor should be running. Saturn never cycles compressors and uses a mechanical system to vary compressor displacement as a way to control refrigerant pressures and ultimately interior temps. Even when selecting 90F, the compressor should be running - cold air is mixed with hot air from the heater core. To verify compressor operation; ac off/engine idling - the center portion of the compressor (clutch plate) should be still, ac on/engine idling - the clutch is engaged and turning at the same speed as its pulley.

Last edited by fdryer; 04-26-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, vwsquare71!

It would be most helpful if we knew the basic details of your vehicle: year, model, mileage; does your car have the manual HVAC control head or do you have the digital auto-climate control?
361K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote