saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Diezeltitan08
Diezeltitan08 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2002 SL1
Default rebuild issues...a few questions

ive just done a deebs rebuild on my 98 sl2 along with dual intake cam mod...have a gs tb going on soon when i get time to fab up a throttle bracket. the story is...this is my first rebuild and my first time breaking in a motor. on the first start i built up oil pressure until light when out then started her up. let her run for 20 mins while bouncing the revs between 1300rpm and 2000rpm without letting it stay in any one spot. i then changed the oil while it was hot and filled over the head with valve cover off to make double sure oil was everywhere in the engine. reinstalled cover and drove around doing my best to engine break and do hard pulls between 3-4k and bouncing revs at idle. ive put maybe 30-40 miles on the motor and have a few concerns.

1. i feel like its heating up a little bit faster now than it was prior to the rebuild...never past the half mark and the past few days have been 85+ so that may be normal and me being an overprotective parent.
2. i have low power at low rpms and occasionally cannot rev past 5.5-6k
my buddy says its because the motor isnt broken in yet. is that true? will the symptom go away after a few hundred miles? also she takes off like a rocket at about 4k and if it lets me keep revving is strong all the way through 6.5k as it should be, (or at least thats where my powerband was prior to rebuild)
Im Not the Best, Im Just Better Than You!!!

S2N=Second II None( da crew)
GiGi=98 sl2 5spd
Diezeltitan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
ktthecarguy
ktthecarguy will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: rebuild issues...a few questions

Hi there,

About number 1, did you put in a new thermostat? If so, then yes it will react faster than the old one. Mine did.

Don't know about number 2. Sorry.
ktthecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

yes i did thank you i forgot all about that in my panic

GiGi=98 sl2 5spd
Old 07-01-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
ktthecarguy
ktthecarguy will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

The good news is your car will now go into closed loop operation much quicker, which means more accurate fuel metering, so better fuel economy.

So it's all good.
ktthecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Part of the reason it's warming up faster the new engine is tight. More friction with the new rings, more compression, etc. etc.

once it's complete broken-in, probably in 3k or 4k it will become more 'normal'.

Highmile
'95 SL1 458k and counting
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Between dual intake cams, '92 header & AEM CAI there was virtually no low rpm power on my ~190k mile old engine. All kinds of pull above ~4k rpm's though, kinda like the turbo in my old '89 900 SPG spooled up
Well, lots of pull once it stopped coughing on all the fracking oil the rings or valve guides dump into the cylinders... lol
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

You're trying to rev above 6k (repeatedly?) on a freshly rebuilt engine????

Even members of the "break it in like you stole it" group don't typically advise revving it above like 1/2 or 2/3 of the max rpm until it's had a few hundred miles or so to break in...

As for bouncing the revs all the time: that's really unnecessary. You shouldn't drive a constant speed on the highway, or let it idle for extended periods, but a minute or so won't hurt anything.

As has been said,it may heat up a bit faster for a little while--during break-in there's a lot more friction (although most of the breaking in should have been done within the first few minutes). As long as it's not getting too hot, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Did you clock the cam correctly (it's pretty easy to have it off by one tooth--it'll run, but not well)?
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Mine runs hotter, too. I replaced rings, a burned valve, reseated the valves, replaced valve seals, and bearings (old bearings showed no scratching, but general even wear of about .002'', and journals looked fine).

Likely the increased compression and reduced oil burning (oil burning makes the engine run excessively rich, which cools the flame), etc., caused the increased temperatures. My engine is entirely of stock design (no mods).
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enoughblue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezeltitan08 View Post
cannot rev past 5.5-6k
Unless you are racing with this car, why would you want to rev the engine so high? It's a Saturn! A cheap, econo daily driver, not an Indy 500 race car! Or do you like to spend lots of money and time, just to see rods punch holes through engine blocks?
I may be showing my age, but back in the day, no one tried to make a slant 6 Dodge dart into a hotrod!
92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

it is my lil go cart... i picked up the car for 300 bucks and until i finish my grand prix it will be my honda beater. i accidently revved past 5 because my 3rd gear pops out of gear occasionally and i did it another time to make sure my cams were clocked correctly

GiGi=98 sl2 5spd
Old 07-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92 View Post
Unless you are racing with this car, why would you want to rev the engine so high? It's a Saturn! A cheap, econo daily driver, not an Indy 500 race car! Or do you like to spend lots of money and time, just to see rods punch holes through engine blocks?
I may be showing my age, but back in the day, no one tried to make a slant 6 Dodge dart into a hotrod!
Redline is there for a reason. Hit it once in a while and your car will be happier. My mom's '97 SC1 was happier after I convinced her of the same thing. Sounds like it's not the thing to do on a fresh rebuild, good to know
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

more issues: now that the motor is fairly broken in ive developed a few problems. a serious oil leak which i hope is the valve cover...its leaking by the belt and both of those holes are stripped and cant get tight enough to hold down the valve cover. the scary part is that when the car idles the oil light blinks. i had the same issue with another car of mine and set the idle screw and raised it a little. that didn't work on the sl2. the car idles around 700 but im pretty sure it should be between 800-900

GiGi=98 sl2 5spd
Old 07-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezeltitan08 View Post
it is my lil go cart... i picked up the car for 300 bucks and until i finish my grand prix it will be my honda beater. i accidently revved past 5 because my 3rd gear pops out of gear occasionally and i did it another time to make sure my cams were clocked correctly
If you have the M/T PCM the rev limiter should prevent you from entering the green. I understand that the PCM for the auto may not have this feature.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

green? you mean red right? and regardless its a m/t swap so im running with the autp pcm. no more top speed limiter!!! woot lol wish i still had a limiter though

GiGi=98 sl2 5spd