SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Thor4SL2
Thor4SL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Phenolic heat shields

Some time ago the guys at SDA had phenolic spacers made to fit between the intake manifold and the cylinder head for Saturn twin cam engines. The purpose of the heat shield is to insulate the intake manifold from the high temperature of the cylinder head resulting in a cooler temperature of the incoming air. This is beneficial to all applications but particularly to turbo charged engines.

Unfortunately these have not been available for quite a while and it seems unlikely they will be making them any time soon. With this in mind I decided to try fabricating some. . I used G-10 fiberglass reinforce epoxy, 3/8Ē for the cylinder head spacer and ľĒ for the throttle body spacer. These will work on any 91-98 S-series DOHC head with an aluminum intake manifold. They install just like replacing your gaskets.

Unlike many buy-ins, these are done and ready to ship. The price is $75.00 shipped in the US and $80.00 for Canadian shipping.

The link for more information or to buy a set is:

http://www.sixthsphere.com/forum/sho...ic-Heat-Shield

Thanks, Thor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn heat shield 001.jpg (61.1 KB, 33 views)
It's not what you know that counts,
it's what you think of in time!
Thor4SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Thor4SL2

Default Re: Phenolic heat shields

Wow what a disappointment this is. I can see why no one is interested in making or selling Saturn performance parts; most have gone out of business or moved on to other cars. I just talked the guys at AMR into making 1 more 18mm rear sway bar before they quit Saturnís completely.

Unlike so much other stuff out there like 75 horsepower resistors and 12 volt superchargers, these heat shields do work.

The response has been so under whelming that Iíll never bother to make anything for Saturnís again.

The moral is if you see something useful for Saturnís, you better buy it because it wonít be available for long.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

How many folks do you reckon are interested in pulling their intake manifolds at the end of January?

(Just sayin'.....)
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Something like this may of been a better seller 10 years ago. Now the Saturn S-Series is a disposable car. Its sad to say, but they're just not worth the time to fix up and make nice or fast.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Thor4SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
How many folks do you reckon are interested in pulling their intake manifolds at the end of January?

(Just sayin'.....)
I have a garage. It does not have heat, just a small electric heater. I work in my garage almost every day regardless of the temperature. That's what's wrong with kids today. To soft.

Seriously, I plan jobs and order parts weeks and months ahead. With the way things are with Saturnís the parts may not be available next July. Try finding an upgraded oil pump cover.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Thor4SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Something like this may of been a better seller 10 years ago. Now the Saturn S-Series is a disposable car. Its sad to say, but they're just not worth the time to fix up and make nice or fast.
When I was in High School my best friend had a Chevelle. It was his momís car before he inherited it. We worked on it all the time, headers, Holly 4-barrel, suspension, etc. Eventually he sold it for next to nothing; nobody wanted a mid-60ís Chevelle. Too bad because nice ones bring big money now.

Saturnís are in the same position as that Chevelle and even better, especially Coupes. Great styling, good fuel economy, decent performance. With Saturn gone nice examples will appreciate but it will take time.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

One of the reasons for low response is you have to be a member of sithsphere or the page is unavailable.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Not only that, but if it's in the for sale section you have to have 25 posts to see anything, not just join the site.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4SL2 View Post
Saturnís are in the same position as that Chevelle and even better, especially Coupes. Great styling, good fuel economy, decent performance. With Saturn gone nice examples will appreciate but it will take time.
I dont think a Saturn will ever be in the same position as a Chevelle, old Impalas, or any other collectable from that era.

Twenty years ago the first Saturn rolled off the assembly line, twenty years from now, most people will not know or barely remember what a Saturn was.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor4SL2 View Post
I have a garage. It does not have heat, just a small electric heater. I work in my garage almost every day regardless of the temperature. That's what's wrong with kids today. To soft.
A garage and a heater would be "soft" in my neighborhood. Some houses have driveways (lucky me). Some of the driveways are paved (not so lucky).

Quote:
Seriously, I plan jobs and order parts weeks and months ahead.
So might other members. All the more reason not to expect overwhelming response in 11 days.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Not only that, but if it's in the for sale section you have to have 25 posts to see anything, not just join the site.
And of course you find that out when you actually join the site.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Keeter
Keeter is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

The reason most people bought Saturns is because of they don't make a ton of money, which in turn amounts to not a lot of money to burn on upgrades, mostly maintenance. A couple people have stated, it's cold right now(-25 where I'm at). Most people, myself included, don't want to spend anymore time outside than they absolutely have to, and I have a garage. Try this buy-in again when it's warm, or starts getting there.
That's my opinion,
Keeter
Keeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:51 AM   #13
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
This. Not to mention its front wheel drive. Yeah having a fast saturn is kind of cool and all. If I ever become a multimillionaire I'll have a boosted 1st gen. But until then the hce will sit in the corner of my driveway getting started once a week and driven once a month with all the damn leaks (windshield mostly). And it'll stay there until I get a rwd car setup the way I want it and dont have this damn cavalier waiting for a connecting rod to pop out and say hello at any moment.
1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote