SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
SUPERCHARGE
SUPERCHARGE is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Tips on fixing/modifying Exhaust Heat shields

Hi peeps, I need some advice on my heat shields. I don't have a big problem, but when I start/turn off or give it to her, I can hear the exhaust really rattle the heat shields. Basically, some of the fasteners and holes on the shields have rotted away leaving the shields a bit loose, and to make matters worse, I built a custom exhaust with OBX headers that's slightly off-track from the original system making some parts in the back rub against the shields. This causes an annoying tin-like sound when starting or turning off the car.

After going under, I still can't put my finger on how to stabilize everything. I don't think drilling screws in new locations is a wise idea as it'll compromise my floor by creating holes that could rust out in the future.

As for the part that rubs against the heat shield in the back, would there be anything I could wrap or glue around the exhaust to cushion out the minor rubbing against the shield?

Thanks peeps!
If everything is under control... then you aren't going fast enough.
SUPERCHARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Tips on fixing/modifying Exhaust Heat shields

You can reattach the shields with the hex head self drilling screws but you have to drill pilot holes for them and use a washer. You can bend the rubber hanger brackets to get the system back where it is supposed to be. Bend the ones at the front of the cat, both on the cat and on the car.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
SUPERCHARGE
SUPERCHARGE is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Ok, thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to secure without drilling holes under the floor, that was the biggest point. I have this thing about making holes in parts where rust tends to attack a lot. But I'm probably just being a douche, three or four small screws with washers should do the trick.

As for modifying the brackets, I won't even go there. Putting that exhaust together properly was hell and only have one original bracket left in the back. I had to cut the front bracket and build two others so that I could fit the new cat and OBX headers while keeping the flex pipe straight. Moving the exhaust just slightly will cause the flex pipe to have a small bend making it less durable.
guess I'll simply improvise on this part.
If everything is under control... then you aren't going fast enough.
SUPERCHARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 has a spectacular aura aboutTomM96 has a spectacular aura about

If the original mtg holes have enlargened ...
You may be able to remount at a slightly offset location by sandwiching the shield between washers at the original attachment points. You need remove the original rivets , then replace with new ones; "Pop" rivets supplies 3/16" diam shank rivets in desired aluminum ... stainless washers are available from McMaster's .

I found it hard to drill-out old rivets , grinding may be easier. On mine the rear heat shields needed replacements , the forward i re-fitted with washers , etc...
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You can reattach the shields with the hex head self drilling screws but you have to drill pilot holes for them and use a washer.
+1. Just drill a hole next to the existing rivets and put the screws in. Should be a 20 min job at the most.
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Sevillian273
Sevillian273 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Try grey/silver silicone for aluminum and metal. Not the clear stuff. The stuff I use is made by GE but there are others out there. Its the stuff specially formulated for aluminum and metal. You can squeeze it into the spots between the heat sheild and the body. Once dry it forms an adhesive 'bushing' and is good for over 400 degrees. I actually use it on exhaust pipes to further seal clamped joints. The stuff is amazing especially when you dont have access to welding equipment.
Sevillian273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
2kSL1
2kSL1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevillian273 View Post
Try grey/silver silicone for aluminum and metal. Not the clear stuff. The stuff I use is made by GE but there are others out there. Its the stuff specially formulated for aluminum and metal. You can squeeze it into the spots between the heat sheild and the body. Once dry it forms an adhesive 'bushing' and is good for over 400 degrees. I actually use it on exhaust pipes to further seal clamped joints. The stuff is amazing especially when you dont have access to welding equipment.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but my heat shields are rattling like mad, and this solution sounds like the best I've found thus far. But I'm wondering if this is referring to something like gasket makers, like this one from Autozone.

If that is the stuff, do I need to apply it to a cold vehicle, or is warm okay? And how long should I wait for it to set before I drive anywhere?
2kSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

That stuff will work too. What I was referring to comes in a caulk tube from any home improvement store. It's for sealing aluminum gutters. Around 6 bucks a tube - more for the money than the specialty automotive stuff. If you really wanna go nuts, get the Permatex Ultra Copper, its good for 700 degrees.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
2kSL1
2kSL1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

So will this stuff act as an adhesive between the heat shield and body of the car? Would it work to put it between the heat shield and the exhaust to prevent vibration? I don't know exactly what those heat shields look like down there yet, so I don't know what I'll be working with yet :/
2kSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You want the polyurethane gutter sealant the RTV will not work. And any non polyurethane gutter sealant will not work either. Both surfaces have to be clean to get a bond as well.

This stuff: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/locti...sealants.shtml
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Sevillian273

2001 SL2

I've used both orange RTV and silicone gutter sealant for several years on many exhaust configurations including rattling heat shields. It definitely works. I tend to use the orange RTV on parts closer to the engine. If youre just securing heat shields to the frame, temperature resistance wont be much of a concern. Bonding them to the exhaust pipe will transmit vibrations to the frame.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Give it time, the RTV-106 (red) will tend to let go after a couple of winters. Use a urethane sealant and you can not get it apart again.

I have some here urethane that has been in service for 17 years on a Jeep.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

I was about to post a question on the same topic. I have 2 cars with rattling heat shields. I attempted to repair one of them with self tapping screws and washers but it has come loose again. I like the idea of using adhesive to bond the shield to the underside of the car. I will probably give that a try. If that doesn't hold up, what's the harm in removing the heat shield altogether? I would leave it around the catalytic convertor and about halfway back. It's the part in the rear that seems to be loose anyway. The only problem I see if the floor and trunk getting a little warmer than usual.
Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They are there fr a reason, don't throw them away. The urethane will hold them in place for ever. I have used it for many things it was never sold for.