SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
mikeczipri
mikeczipri is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default De-Sludging my engine

I am getting conflicting opinions on whether or not I should do this, I have heard good things about products such as AutoRx and Seafoam, but I have also heard that loosening this sludge and allowing it to travel through the engine can cause terrible side effects. MY engine has about 130k on it now, and I got it with about 75k and have not done this procedure yet.

Just wondering what your opinions are, whether the risk is worht the reward. Thanks.
'99 SL2 Dual Cam Autotrans 128K miles
mikeczipri is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: De-Sludging my engine

Most likely will cause more harm then good.

While you can use the Auto RX and Seafoam in your crankcase and gas tank to clean out stuff...desludging an engine is really if you are planning to do a rebuild and if there are major issues with the car.

My 94 SC1, which one of these days will be getting an engine rebuild after 340K original miles...I never desludged the engine. I just changed the oil, etc. as I was suppose to on a regular basis.

After a period of time; there are good and bad engine deposits that build up inside of the engine. The good deposits help keep the inside of the engine from building up more gunk. When you completely desludge...you are taking both good AND bad deposits out of the engine; which may lead to more problems.

Just my thoughts...and at only 130K miles; if your engine is running fine, I wouldn't worry about putting things in that aren't needed, if the car is running good.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Do a couple OC's with Penzoil Platinum synthetic. It's not the world's greatest oil or anyting, but it DOES have a fairly robust cleaning additive package (according to the BITOG guys). A couple of 5,000 mile OCs with that stuff should clean you up real nice (assuming you have no actually BLOCKED passages). And its cheaper than any of the "magic bottle" solutions.
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
I am getting conflicting opinions on whether or not I should do this, ...
No surprise there. Kind of like asking which oil, beer, or car is best. Whether or not any oil additive will do good or bad depends on how it is used and the actual condition of the engine.

Sludge circulating as "lumps" is not good. Disolved and bound in detergents until the next oil change is a better situation subject to the ability of the oil detergents to handle it.

My take on it is that of the various treatments, AutoRX is perhaps the least likely to do unwanted things. it is said to act slowly.

Most end user reports are not subject to any controls so it becomes a question of who do you trust, can you follow the published directions, and what makes you feel good.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
MR2
MR2 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC

If you use Seafoam on a motor that already leaks oil, it will amplify the problem.

Even if it doesn't leak, the very deposits that you are cleaning out might be the only thing preventing it from leaking.

I've seafoamed the throttle body and intake manifold on my car, but that's a whole other animal.
1992 Saturn SC atx

1987 Toyota MR2 mtx

Former Cars

1988 & 89 T-Bird
1999 Grand Am
1997 Cavalier
2001 Mustang GT
1980 Datsun 200sx
1985 Delta 88 Coupe
1992 Integra
1996 Intrepid
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I've tried MMO piston soaks. Great for cleaning combustion chamber carbon out. Not good at all for piston ring gunk.

Tried auto-rx. Did nothing at all.

Part of the whole piston ring issue is the rings losing their elasticity. Even if they can be freed they'll be lethargic and unmotivated, and won't flex to keep their grooves clean-- or the oil away from the burn zone.

If you drop your pan, I bet you'll actually find very little sludge.
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
lewdwig
lewdwig is on a distinguished road

Do an OCI with Mobil 1 0W-40, it has a good cleaning package.
lewdwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

I would run 24 ounces of MMO in the crankcase with the next oil change.

Run it 3,000 miles and drain & refill with Pennzoil Platinum as it has 3,000ppm of engine cleaning Calcium.

Use a Purolator PureOne extended oil filter PL20195 also.

You'll be good to go.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Do a couple OC's with Penzoil Platinum synthetic.
My advice too.. Actually, I favour Mobil1 high mileage formula (one of M1's best oils)

PP is great too though.

But yeah, they have a lot of detergents and strong cleaning ability worked into their additive packages.
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Only word of caution with desludging with a High detergent oil is watch your oil level and it would be nice if you could also watch your oil pressure.

I used a high detergent oil in a Mopar 360 that was sludged up pretty well. (could still see the head bolt shape) It was Citco. We rolled the motor upside down... put rod and mains and a new oil pump and slapped it back together. Were in the Navy going to school and used their hoby shop one day to do the work.(1987 summer) Didn't have much time so we did a quick and nasty.

Anyway after 2 weeks of running it my oil pressure went from the 30's to 5psi.
My brother and I thought we had a bad oil pump, got another replacement and when we drained the oil to start the process it came out looking like piss water. It was pretty much cleaned out after that.

Fresh oil and it was ok after that, the trailduster rusted out from under the engine and the engine lived on in my friends wrecker.

The rotela 5w40 synthetic would also be a good canidate for the job and id also a favorite at BTOG. (mine too) I do use the PP in my SL1 though.
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I find this interesting. I tend to follow others recommendations. My Saturn was neglected with infrequent oil changes and deposits on the dipstick indicating it was run low on oil. Here is what I tried.

Auto-RX 3 times. Car ran better/stronger. Had no effect on oil consumption.

Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Spec oil. Oil consumption went from 3/4 quart per 3,000 to 1 1/2 quarts per 3,000. Was it the oil? Several things. My car rad fan went bad and I overheated the car when checking trans fluid and talking to my mom on the phone. Also, sold a secondary car that was used to go to my parents 150 miles away. High speed driving basically doubles my oil consumption. So too many variables.

Used Rotella-T 5w-40. Did not decrease oil consumption. Perhaps it did cleaning (at least that was the idea).

Did one piston soak, but I used something called LC20. Piston tops are cleaner. Smoked like crazy after the procedure. Ran smoother. Did not effect oil consumption.

Used Mobil 1 filter with synthetic oil to help clean/remove stuff from engine.

Recently, ran 24 oz MMO at end of oil (last 500 miles). Added another 24 oz next OCI. Car never ran better. It did smoke at times. But, it seemed more like after my piston soak. Like it was smoke from things being cleaned or dissolved.

I am with eljifino. I truly believe my rings are just shot or not flexing. Still have OK compression at 180 across the board (last I checked). But those pesky oil control rings probably are either still dirty or lost their ability to work properly.

If I had to do it over again I would not be afraid to do all I did. At this point I am going to change the oil that I bought on sale. I do have some Pure One filters and cheap TotalGrip ones from Advance. I may use some MMO toward the end of an OCI since it just made the car run better than ever.

If your not using a lot of oil, I would maybe just use a quality oil and oil filter. Keep OCI resonable. That is what I am going to do until my car is worn out. Need to add about 1/2 quart or more per fill up. It is not the end of the world.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #12
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Tiger, glad you had good experience with MMO.. I would love to try it, but I do not have access to it. I emailed the company as to how I could get it in Canada, they did not respond. It's not in any stores here anymore..

If someone wants to ship me a few cans, I'll pay
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Do a couple OC's with Penzoil Platinum synthetic. It's not the world's greatest oil or anyting, but it DOES have a fairly robust cleaning additive package (according to the BITOG guys). A couple of 5,000 mile OCs with that stuff should clean you up real nice (assuming you have no actually BLOCKED passages). And its cheaper than any of the "magic bottle" solutions.
Im on my first run of Pennzoil Platinum. I have 5000 on it so far. At 2000 miles I added another quart of PP and at 4000 I added a pint and now at 5000 I am in the middle of the hash(1/2). At 4000 the level was at about a 1/4, when I added the pint it went to 3/4. So 1000 miles =1/4 quart. Im pretty happy about this.

Its not conclusive yet but it seems my consumption has dropped and after 6000 I will change out with PP again and go from there.

They claim 46% less sludge when use for the first time, but I thought all of that was marketing hype but there may be some credibility to it if its reducing consumption for me.
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Running extended drain intervals while cleaning known gunk out of the engine I'd at the least change your oilfilter at 3000 mile intervals.

Loading the PP up with dirt and then leaving it in for an extra 2000 miles without changing the filter could allow some sludge to precipate back out of the oil again.

If you know its there is sludge in there I'd do normal OCI's until its clean then go the longer distance. (Just me)
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

hahahaha you guys. Unless you've been using a late model chrysler v6 or SAE 30 (or any other non detergent oil), and have been changing your oil at least very 10,000 miles then you dont have a sludge problem. You hardly have any oil sludge if any at all. But since you have a saturn with stock pistons you will have some coaking on your oiling ring, just let some atf sit in you pistons overnight before an oil change once a year and you'll be all set. oh and use synthetic oil, its what all the 1st gens came with from the factory (to prevent the piston ring coaking) before they starting trying to cut even more costs.
1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

I tried Chevron Delo 15w40 once after doing intake gaskets on a 3.1 GM V6.
Worked great, engine was nice and quiet, engine was purged of all the nasty stuff from doing the intake work. In my opinion, theres not much out there which will work miracles for an engine flush, especially in a parts store.

I agree with most here, unless the engine was neglected by not changing oil often enough, sludge probably isnt a huge problem. Weak ring design, yes!!
04 Ion Sedan 144k and counting...
94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k (junked, too rusty)
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote