SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
ςατμяη gμψ
ςατμяη gμψ is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Dizzy What tires should I buy?

I need to replace my tires on my 2002 SC2. I am strongly leaning toward the Michelin brand because I think they make some of the best tires. In the past I have bought other brands because they were cheaper, but this time I want to get the best.

I want a tire that is quiet and gives a comfortable ride. Performance is important too, but the first not at the expense of the first two factors. Right now I have directional tires that were on the car when I bought it used this year. I would rather have tires that I can properly rotate.

Rain performance is really important for me and I would be driving in some snow in the winter (I live in TN).

What do you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards Michelin Primacy MXV4 195/60R15 88H or Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 195/60R15 88H.
AEM Short Ram Intake
Disabled DRLs
Cleaned Throttle Body
New Front Brakes and Rotors
New Spark Plugs and Wires
New Battery
Charged A/C
New Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires
ςατμяη gμψ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2
Default Re: What tires should I buy?

Michelin makes great tires. I have never had a Michelin tire fail - other than running over a nail or screw.

I have had the following tires so far on my Saturn:
Firestone - OE
Michelin Harmony
Yokohama TRZ
Pirelli P4

The Michelin were the most expensive (over $100 ea. installed), and were a great highway tire, good in Winter when new, but never came close to hitting the 80k they claim.

The Pirelli P4's I currently have are the second cheapest ($60 ea.) I've had and are as good, if not better than the Michelins. They are a very good rain tire, good in snow, and I like the fact that they are not as noisy on the highway as the Michelins.
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
adamaoc
adamaoc is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Michelin makes great tires. I have never had a Michelin tire fail - other than running over a nail or screw.

Firestone - OE
Michelin Harmony
Yokohama TRZ
Pirelli P4

The Michelin were the most expensive (over $100 ea. installed), and were a great highway tire, good in Winter when new, but never came close to hitting the 80k they claim.

The Pirelli P4's I currently have are the second cheapest ($60 ea.) I've had and are as good, if not better than the Michelins. They are a very good rain tire, good in snow, and I like the fact that they are not as noisy on the highway as the Michelins.

Michelin Harmony or Yokohama TRZ

I just put some Michelin's on my Vue and OMG! tis like slipping on fluffy house shoes after a hard days work... they feel so good on the car and yet have better grip than the factory ones did!
http://txGarage.com -- Texas Car Enthusiast -- Saturn Sky V8 -- some day
adamaoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

I was never satisfied how well the TRZs handled (esp. under heavy cornering) and were dry rot/cracking in the sidewalls in two years time.

I agree that the Harmonys are great tires - I just don't think they're worth what they charge for them.
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

If you have a Sams or Costco membership, try the Michelin X Radial.

Quiet, decent performance and unreal tread life.
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I got some goodyear assurance quiet treds in Feb...it's quieter then the original firestones FR680's (right?), but still not as quiet as I thought they would be. But then again, we have some pretty crappy roads from all the studded tires people use 4 or 5 months in the winter for the remote possibility that we get enough snow to cause a problem (I'm originally from MN...still haven't seen enough to warrant any significant concern, but this last winter came close). I seriously considered the Harmony's, but couldn't find them locally, and kinda wish I had ordered them from wherever it was I found them online, tirerack.com maybe. I don't think you can go wrong with a Michelin though.
Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, cracked head Sept. 2014. Donated Dec. 2014

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I thought the original Firestone FR680 were decent tires, and they lasted about 60K miles. Only replaced them because I was heading from Ohio to Arizona via Denver, in the late winter of 2002. Snowstorms and whatnot.
Supposedly there are different "grades" of Michelins, the ones at Wal Mart might not be the same as the premium ones, but I would still buy them. (There are Wal Marts EVERYWHERE). But I know people who swear by Michelins.

What I would NEVER buy again, for any reason, even for a riding mower, are Continentals.
1980's: I used Contis on my Rabbit, Continental TS770. Indestructible. Made in Germany. Great mileage and handling.
2000's: they are crap.
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I probably wouldnt pay the premium of Michelin.. I think they're decent, but too expensive for the most part.

BF Goodrich is owned by them, and I'm really happy with the premium touring tires I have on my SL2 from BF Goodrich. Great tires. Grip well, quiet, very smooth ride..

That's just my .02
1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

more importantly, how did you get such a weird user name?
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I'm on my second pair of Michelin X Radials from Sam's Club. Mileage was extremely long - 65,000 miles on the first one and I could have gotten a bit more, but winter was approaching and I didn't want to push it in a Minnesota winter. The tires are just ok in snow, have had better and have had worse.
7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I have 50k miles on my Michelin HydroEdge tires. Simply love them. Great in wet weather. Hug a curve gooood. Quiet and balance well. I briefly had Goodyear ComforTreads. Would not balance for anything. After three trips back to the shop getting BS reasons I contacted customer service. One of the owners of the largest local tire chain called me right back and said "I will have the boys put some Michelin's on your car. I think you will like them". It is more like love. When you use your car for work and can spend hours a day in a car it is worth it to me to pay the Michelin premium. I learned that the hard way. I had a 93 Sentra with Michelins that eventually wore out. A nice handling care. Put Goodyear Integrity on and had a horrible ride. Never again. To me Goodyear should be renamed Badyear (s). What amazes me is how Toyota puts those Integrity tires on Corolla's and saw them on a Prius today. I guess they help the gas mileage rating.
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I briefly had Goodyear ComforTreads. Would not balance for anything.
Yeah, I'm starting to experience this problem with the Good(bad)year's, after only about 4000 miles (an ambitious estimate too, don't quite recall how many miles, but just over an oil change worth). I definitely would recommend against these...at least they can with a lifetime balance warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW
I thought the original Firestone FR680 were decent tires, and they lasted about 60K miles.
I would also agree with you on that. Mine were starting to dry rot, crack, get a little thin, and a belt had shifted on one leaving a nice goose egg on the sidewall of one, but they were also noisy as all. I was better off turning the radio off then trying to crank it up over all the noise!

tirerack.com is the site with the Michelins, currently they have them listed for $85 (P185/65R14's, anyway). Not sure what shipping looks like though. I also thought about the Dulop Signature's, but they only had the Dunlop SP 60's at the shop, and I thought they had an tread pattern that was a bit aggressive for driving around here...better suited to someplace that actually gets snow, in my opinion.
Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, cracked head Sept. 2014. Donated Dec. 2014

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post

Firestone - OE
Michelin Harmony
Yokohama TRZ
Pirelli P4

I've never had any brand tire fail due to construction or workmanship.
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ςατμяη gμψ View Post
What do you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards Michelin Primacy MXV4 195/60R15 88H or Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S 195/60R15 88H.
I'd suggest the Falken ZIEX ZE-912 -- the successor to the ZIEX ZE-512. it's a good all-season performance tire that works OK in snow.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

I prefer to get my tires from the local chain with 37 or so locations in the metro area. North, South, East, West I am usually within a few miles when I get a flat. I have had about 3 flat repairs for free plus free balance and rotation every 6, 000 miles which I like. The only thing with the Michelins is they seem more prone to leaks. I have one of them that has had a slow leak for years. They have checked and remounted the thing many times, but it still comes back? They age like fine wine. Seem to ride sweeter the older they get.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #16
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I have 50k miles on my Michelin HydroEdge tires. Simply love them. Great in wet weather. Hug a curve gooood. Quiet and balance well. I briefly had Goodyear ComforTreads. Would not balance for anything. After three trips back to the shop getting BS reasons I contacted customer service. One of the owners of the largest local tire chain called me right back and said "I will have the boys put some Michelin's on your car. I think you will like them". It is more like love. When you use your car for work and can spend hours a day in a car it is worth it to me to pay the Michelin premium. I learned that the hard way. I had a 93 Sentra with Michelins that eventually wore out. A nice handling care. Put Goodyear Integrity on and had a horrible ride. Never again. To me Goodyear should be renamed Badyear (s). What amazes me is how Toyota puts those Integrity tires on Corolla's and saw them on a Prius today. I guess they help the gas mileage rating.
OE tires are not designed by the tire manufacturer. They are built to the specifications requested by the OEM engineers. This is why you'll see certain cars (i.e. Prius) have multiple brands of tires-- the tires are all 100% identical.

As for the Hydroedges, I have a set of my '96 Saturn. They have about 35,000 miles on them and still have about 6/32 left. However, I will not purchase another set as I am not satisfied with their grip. While the sidewalls are fairly firm, the tires simply lack grip. For example, today I was doing a moderate to hard stop from 40 mph and the tires were screeching/slipping on dry pavement. And yes, the pressure and alignment is correct, and the struts are brand new, so it has to be the tires.
'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
nitebearer
nitebearer is on a distinguished road

I shod both of my Saturns with the Nokian WRs. They are an all season and a winter tire that we've been using for the last 3 years. They are directional but are great in the snow, rain, slush and dry handling is pretty good. Ice of course you still have to take care but are better than the firestones they came with. Reasonable price as lower than the Michelins. We live in Canada so these tires are great for all year.
nitebearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Tiger
Master Member

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
OE tires are not designed by the tire manufacturer. They are built to the specifications requested by the OEM engineers. This is why you'll see certain cars (i.e. Prius) have multiple brands of tires-- the tires are all 100% identical.

As for the Hydroedges, I have a set of my '96 Saturn. They have about 35,000 miles on them and still have about 6/32 left. However, I will not purchase another set as I am not satisfied with their grip. While the sidewalls are fairly firm, the tires simply lack grip. For example, today I was doing a moderate to hard stop from 40 mph and the tires were screeching/slipping on dry pavement. And yes, the pressure and alignment is correct, and the struts are brand new, so it has to be the tires.
I did not know that about OE tires. Still, I have had two very bad experiences with Goodyear. I have scratched them off my list. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Regarding Hydroedge, my situation is we have had so much flash flooding. When it is raining 4 or 6 inches an hour I like a tire that cuts through water like a hot knife through butter. I have not had problems stopping on dry pavement, so if my car is mechanically sound down the road I could see getting some more Hydroedge tires.

I bet a softer tire would be better in your case. There is a reason why these tires have a 90,000 mile tread wear rating.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #19
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
If you have a Sams or Costco membership, try the Michelin X Radial.

Quiet, decent performance and unreal tread life.
Michelin X's are a great all-around tire, especially if you have snow in the mix. Their twin is sometimes advertised as Michelin Weatherwise ..... We have these on our Subaru, and they provide excellent wet weather, ice, and snow traction, are quiet, and have good rolling resistance characteristics. A consistent top-rated tire pick at Consumer Reports also. Our last pair lasted 66K miles, which is good. I think we paid ~$80 to $90/tire installed at Sears.

The ContiProContacts I have on my Saturn now are good tires in the wet, handle well, but are a bit noisier. I got them on sale at Sears for ~$55/tire installed, but I doubt they'll last much longer than 30K or 40K miles. The Dunlop/Falkens I had on the Saturn prior to this were quite sticky in the wet and handled well, but were worn out at 30K miles. They were just OK in snow.

The OEM Firestones that my SW2 came with were the lousiest tires I've ever owned. Pathetic traction and handling, lots of flats and 2 carcass failures, replaced at 20K miles when nearly bald.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #20
Lenny_ViDiViCi
Lenny_ViDiViCi is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I had some Falken Zeix... or Ziex's on my car. They were directional 205/50/15 performance tires. The best handling tire I have ever put on a car. But I hit a pot hole and damaged the sidewall. I plan on putting a full set on to replace them soon. Amazing grip and predictable @ the limit of traction. I've found myself taking the twisties much faster than the oem sized pirellis. But the simple fact of a shorter sidewall may have been the real reason for the improvement.
Lenny_ViDiViCi is offline   Reply With Quote