SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 06-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Advice on parts brands ?

Are there any brands that are better or worse than others, for such things as

Starter motor
Alternator
Struts

Anyone have opinions on this?
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Advice on parts brands ?

With regards to these parts, there are only a few parent companies that make them for dozens if not hundreds of different nameplates. They are all quite comparable in quality.

But here's my opinion.

Starter and alternators: As long as you don't buy the cheapest option that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty you really can't go wrong. Watch the terminology. The words "rebuilt" and "remanufactured" are often used interchangeably and people think they mean the same thing, but that is not true.

A rebuilt part just gets the worn pieces (i.e. brushes, bearings) of it replaced with new ones. As long as the elecrical pieces test out ok, they usually don't get replaced. Most of these offer a limited warranty of some sort but usually not a lifetime warranty. Buy these only if you are in a tight pinch or plan on selling the vehicle.

A remanufactured part has all of its servicable pieces replaced, regardless of their condition. These almost always offer a lifetime warranty. These are usually the best bang for the buck. I almost always get these.

A new part is the most expensive because everything is new, including the case or "core" as it is often referred. These always offer a lifetime warranty.

About the struts, as far as O.E.M. type replacements. The two main players are Gabriel (AutoZone, Carquest) and Tenneco (sold virtually everywhere else, they make AC Delco and Monroe suspension components). The Tenneco products seem to be of better quality, but they are usually priced slightly higher and a bit easier to install. The Tenneco products use a similar slot to O.E. on the top of the strut shaft to hold it still when you tighen the shaft nut. The Gabriel strut shafts have them blasted oval ends that are a pain to work with when installing them.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

For engine replacement parts I've gone with Autozone. Especially their Duralast, in the past, has come with a FREE replacement policy, depending on the part. Now, I've gone with them on such things as my water pump, radiator, even brake pads because Autozone would replace them for free, for as long as I owned the car-------simply because I planned and still do plan to keep the car for another 100K. How can you go wrong? And these aren't rebuilt parts, they're new. I have about 70K on my water pump and radiator and still no problems but when it goes, I'll get another for free. I'm not calling these parts the best, but for me, I couldn't find a better deal. But if you're not planning on keeping the car that long, I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go.
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

If you ever need motor mounts, do not buy from AZ
2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

for struts I recommend KYB GR-2 struts. they are firmer than OE and cost less and they allow more camber adjustment without grinding and no "camber kit" is needed with them.
eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

As to starters and alternators, as ruley73 pointed out the vast majority of these components are either rebuilt or remanufactured. This work is done by several large companies that then distribute the product in the box of your choice for sale in your store. What that means is if you buy a starter from say NAPA and one from AutoZone they very likely came from the same place. The 1 year warranty starter is exactly the same as the lifetime starter except for the price in most cases also. Might be a different colored box though.

The large rebuilders/remanufacturers do this work with minimum wage labor on an assembly line process. The quality is not there. The quality of the "new" parts is abysmal. In the local automotive electrical shop they will test everyone of these parts before installing them. When you buy that starter or alternator from the local autoparts store you are going to be doing this testing. That lifetime warranty is not worth much in the middle of the night several hundred miles from anywhere.

So, the best approach is to locate a local automotive electrical shop that has a good reputation and take your core in for a rebuild. Most of them will do that work while you wait. There are several of these shops that also do mail order and produce a high quality product.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr18436572 View Post
If you ever need motor mounts, do not buy from AZ
Actually, this is easily the best alternative to the O.E. mount from the dealership. It doesn't use the "frown" design like all the others. I've had one in my car for 2 years and I have had no problems with it. And believe me, my TAM has seen plenty of stress.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The problem is just this, its an order in part and you have no idea what is in the box until you open it. Could be either design. If you spend the extra $20.00 you know what you are buying.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
ruley73
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The problem is just this, its an order in part and you have no idea what is in the box until you open it. Could be either design. If you spend the extra $20.00 you know what you are buying.
I didn't know that stores had to order them. All of the stores around here stock them. If you have to order them, order the Duralast mount (not the Anchor) and you should get the better design. The part number (A2827) matches the one found on the DEA box which is known to be of the better design.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Duralast is the one that may be of either design. The A2827 is the Anchor number for the top mount. If the store stocks them then you can open boxes.

Anchor manufactures most of the mounts that you see from anyone. The last OEM Saturn top mount of the good design that I bought was marked with the Anchor mark and had the Saturn part number molded into the rubber.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
The part number (A2827) matches the one found on the DEA box which is known to be of the better design.
Might still be a crapshoot. Bottom line, open the box before you pay and leave the store.

When I went to my local AZ, it had a frowny face mount inside. I'm only about 80% sure that I asked for the A2827 part number, though. Can't recall for sure if I checked the number on the box (I think I did) but no joy inside.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

All of the aftermarket top mounts are 2827 and most are A2827. The only one that might be good is in a blue box with yellow gears printed on it.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
Are there any brands that are better or worse than others, for such things as

Starter motor
Alternator
Struts

Anyone have opinions on this?
In regards to starters; I've used NSA Starters that can be bought through Rockauto. They are an exact replica of the the Valeo Starter that is OEM. I haven't had any problems with the ones I have used.

Alternators: I've use the Duralast Gold Alternator "BRAND NEW"...NOT Remanufactered/Rebuilt, from Autozone with good results so far.

Just my personal preference that I don't want to take "The Chance" that a rebuilt or remanufactred electrical part is going to go south.

I prefer to go all new on electrical. Just my 2 cents.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

After reading through this, I tend to agree with 2ndsOut. Apparently a big Genesis fan
My brother in law has a motto, "I want to pay more", in other words, don't nickel and dime when the best costs only a small % more.
Alternators and starters seem to be particularly annoying to change on these cars, might as well use good ones!
97 SL. Bought 7/07, reluctantly sold Dec 2019
Burgman 400- indestructible beast
Sportster 883- fun bike
Cannondale 29er- daily driver
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #15
lewdwig
lewdwig is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information!
lewdwig is offline   Reply With Quote