SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
CJMOSC2
CJMOSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default Resaturn SC2 2001. Removal of stereo help!!

I've been trying to replace my current/default radio in my SC2. I took everything out and it was going well. Until i ran into the colored wires. Which one is the power wire? there is at least a dozen wires bundled together, and i want to know which one is the power so i can hook up a new radio system, like a Pioneer.
CJMOSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Resaturn SC2 2001. Removal of stereo help!!

DO NOT cut the connector in the car's wiring. You'll be very sorry. For a few dollars, you can get a connector that connects to the car's connector, with a bunch of bare wires. You take that, and the connector that comes with the new radio, match up the wires one-to-one, and you end up with a little "converter" harness. This allows you "plug-and-play" connection to the aftermarket radio without altering the car's wiring. If you buy as head unit from Crutchfield, they give you this connector FREE, along with a mounting kit and the instructions for building the harness.

BTW, every modern radio, by necessity, has two power sources. One is always energized, to maintain radio and clock memory. The other goes on and off with the key.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR
Attention Re: Resaturn SC2 2001. Removal of stereo help!!

I just got done doing this myself, and I agree with the advice of "don't cut the factory wiring harness!" Unfortunately the previous owner of my SC2 beat me to the punch...
If it's too late and you've already dismantled the radio harness here's what does what:
The Ignition wire (yellow) is hot when the key is on
The B+ wire (orange) is hot all the time, this is your memory back-up
NOTE: There are 2 orange wires; one for the back-up, and one for the factory CD changer. If your car doesn't have a factory CD changer the wire will likely be dead. Test by hooking up a DVM to the wire and a good ground such as the outside of the antenna plug. With the engine off the yellow wire will give you zero volts to ground, the orange wire will give you battery voltage (12 volts) to ground. When you turn the key to ACC the yellow wire will be hot.

As far as the rest of the connections, if you need them:

Speakers:
LR: Brown is +, Yellow is -
RR: Dark Blue is +, Light Blue is -
LF: Tan is +, Gray is -
RF: Light Green is +, Dark Green is -

There will also be a leftover brown wire, this is the feed from the dash lights to the factory radio. This obviously will be hot when measured to ground with your DVM with the lights are on.
Lastly, be careful. Isolate and label your power wires first, this is because there 2 yellow wires in the harness, one is power, the other a speaker wire. When your all done make sure that all the wiring is properly connected and taped so nothing can short to ground and give you real problems like FIRES!

Good luck
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Resaturn SC2 2001. Removal of stereo help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
DO NOT cut the connector in the car's wiring. You'll be very sorry. .....If you buy as head unit from Crutchfield, they give you this connector FREE, along with a mounting kit and the instructions for building the harness.
+ One Million!!

If you do though....
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1951.html
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote