saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
hufhouse
hufhouse will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL2
Default Please help a worried Dad

My son is away at college about 100 miles away. He is leaving today for a long weekend break at his roommate's home about 4-1/2 hours away.

He called me and said that his car is making a "creaking/clicking" noise from the rear, and he asked me what to do. I told him to get under the car and bounce it and see if he can figure out what is making the noise and if anything obvious looks broken.

He sent me a photo from his cell phone and said "the circle-shaped thing" seems to be where the noise is coming from, but it looks just like the one on the other side. I have attached the photo.

As best I can figure, this is where the trailing arm connects. I'm guessing it's just a worn bushing. He said that he heard the sound before, but it wasn't really that bad, so he never mentioned it.

I told him I thought he would be safe, and we'll get it fixed when he comes home.

What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0225091320a.jpg (72.0 KB, 162 views)
hufhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Please help a worried Dad

Old bushing. Nothing to worry about.

But next time include some vitals. Such as car, year, model, MILES, etc etc
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
hufhouse

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL2

Sorry. It's over there on the sidebar. It's the 2001 SL2.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
hufhouse

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL2

By the way, rc1488, thank you for the reply. I forgot to say that!

Oh, and I think it has around 80,000 miles on it.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

He's got a cell phone, he'll be fine as long as it's charged up.

When I was in college, a broken car meant walking or hitchhiking til you found a pay phone.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

to the above post^^^^^

way to date yourself man...

i cant really ever remember life with out them being there. not that iv always had one but i remember them always being around. even though it was analog.
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
KCdave
KCdave is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

The bushing could be wearing out, but I'd go with the easiest fix first assuming its a dirty bushing. No serious harm at this point.

But the bushing is sticking and grinding based on the description.
The road salt and corrosion can wear the bushing down.

A quick run by the spray wash and power some of that stuff off. Get some of what appears to be road salt out, and spray it down with Liquid Wrench or a spray oil (Duralube or WD-40 type) after it dries to break down the corrosion.

I would keep treating it with the oil until is clears up.
KCdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
sl1driver
sl1driver is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I'm sure your son will be just fine. When I was a teenager, I went to visit my grandparents who lived about 300 miles away. I was driving a chevy vega with an auto trans. The 2nd gear wasn't working. I would have to take it from 1st to 3rd. Also, the car used about a quart of oil every few hundred miles. My parents tried to talk me out of going, but I was determined. I patted my dad on the back and I said "don't worry dad, we'll both get through this!" TRUE STORY!
Andy

2000 SL1 5 speed - 149k and still going strong. Slight oil usage.
New Intake Manifold Gasket, Clutch, Ects, Thermostat, IAC, TPS
sl1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

It's not the bushing making the noise, it's the sway bar link, visible in your back behind the axle towards the front. Small dogbone shaped metal bar with two ball and socket joints, one on each end. Replace them with the Moog part, they have updated the links with grease fittings, as opposed to factory non greaseable links. He could drive around the globe with the car like that, even if one broke, he would never know the difference. Replace them in pairs, easy DIY project for a weekend morning.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
durtydawg
durtydawg is on a distinguished road

Hello all new to the Forum here, last poster is probably right likely the sway bar link. I just happen to work for the company that makes the OEMS THK. By looking at the picture that link is one of our older metal to metal links which are good links but by metal to metal I mean there is nothing but grease between the bearing and casting. Our newer links that are on the mid 2007 and up Saturns are what we call resin ball links there is actually a resin band between the bearing and wall of the casting. I do the testing on these links and they will last longer without grease ( how we test them even though we of course apply grease to the one we sell)then any link on the market with grease. That style on his vehicle would have a rubber dampener under the cap which helps reduce noise due to no resin band, what usually happens is the dampener wears out over time allowing noise to escape, the link itself is probably good for another 100,000 miles if he can stand the noise.

And yes perfectly safe to operate if it should happen to break.
durtydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
hAnNibAl_H
Advanced Member
hAnNibAl_H is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1driver View Post
I'm sure your son will be just fine. When I was a teenager, I went to visit my grandparents who lived about 300 miles away. I was driving a chevy vega with an auto trans. The 2nd gear wasn't working. I would have to take it from 1st to 3rd. Also, the car used about a quart of oil every few hundred miles. My parents tried to talk me out of going, but I was determined. I patted my dad on the back and I said "don't worry dad, we'll both get through this!" TRUE STORY!
Haha, how many quarts per mile? jk
99.5 SL2
Blackberry
135k clock
74k Motor
hAnNibAl_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
hufhouse

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 SL2

Just wanted to followup and let you know we replaced the "dog bones" today with the Moog's and everything is great. I can't believe the difference!

One of the four nuts was frozen on and we wound up cutting it off with a Dremel tool. If not for that, it would have been a 30 minute repair.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in. Really made me feel better about his trip a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
jbracefan1977
jbracefan1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1driver View Post
this one's inspiring.
jbracefan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
twincities
twincities is on a distinguished road

Good to know it worked out for you to replace them. They are an easy replacement piece but for people reading this in the future who dont have time or money or skill set Ive been able to knock them loose again using a bunch of WD40 or PB Blaster etc. and a big adjustable wrench. Spray the ends and walk away from about 10 or 15 min and come back to them with the wrench... spray them again and give the ends a couple light taps then adjust the wrench to the width of the center of the dogbone (mine were flat on 2 sides) use the wrench to rock them loose and than spray them like crazy and keep rocking to clear out as much of the rust as possible... in a pinch this will ease the humiliation factor of a whining car over speed bumps...
twincities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

I have a question about the sway bar link. I have the same creaking noise on my 02 SL2 when I'm going slow through a parking lot. Just checked the sway bar links and I can twist/rotate both of them quite a lot on there bushings - is that normal?

I've ordered the Moogs and plan to replace when I get a chance - will the replacements rotate the same?
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
The Critic
Advanced Member
The Critic is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
I have a question about the sway bar link. I have the same creaking noise on my 02 SL2 when I'm going slow through a parking lot. Just checked the sway bar links and I can twist/rotate both of them quite a lot on there bushings - is that normal?
No, that is normal. IF there's that much play, then the sway bar end links are worn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
I've ordered the Moogs and plan to replace when I get a chance - will the replacements rotate the same?
No play at all on my Moog endlinks.
'10 Altima 3.5SR V6- 5k
'96 SL2- 150k!
'92 Previa- 99k
The Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
coolgreany
coolgreany is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Thanks - yes, there seems to be lots of play - so much that it almost seems like I could pull them off the bolts!
02 VUE Auto AWD-63k-Florida
02 SL2 Manual -76K, Germany
00 SL2 Auto-90K-failed emissions, Portland, OR
99 SL2 Auto-115K-aging, Portland, OR

91 SL1-Stolen 03, 113K
96 SL1-Totaled 02, 86K
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #18
sdowney717
Advanced Member
sdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of lightsdowney717 is a glorious beacon of light

likely the rubber has worn down or the bolt is loose and the sleeve is rubbing on the bolt. This wont crash the car but needs to be fixed.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote