SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
KillerX
KillerX is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default ATTN White Astra owners - Paint problem

Ok so I was cleaning my car and I noticed tiny spots all over the car, it almost looks like hard water sat for a very long time in the sun and it wont come out. I just got the car 5 days ago so I dont know what they can do for me, but if they say they wont do anything im going to switch the vehicle to something else (30 day return policy) I have had nothing but problems getting this car and know this.

Anyone else have/seen this problem?

Brad
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: ATTN White Astra owners - Paint problem

Make sure you read my posting and let us know how you make out.

May I also suggest you call Ruth Wellman at Saturn Customer Service 1-866-790-5600 ext. 31622. She is the Rep. that I spoke with about my paint issue. If more people on the board have problems I believe we'll get a better response if Saturn Customer Service knows about the issue(s).

Paul

Last edited by paulff3; 09-30-2008 at 10:35 PM.
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

poor quality clearcloat and/or perhaps too few coats of clear. clearcoat by nature is soft and takes a couple of months to cure harder as the gases from it & the base coat have to leach off.
if clearcloat on a newly painted car, at the bodyshop, is allowed to cure twice as long at half the temperature in the oven, the coating will be harder & thus more durable.
if/when gm decides to repaint(?) ask the bodyshop to apply top quality clearcoat. it costs more but u might be wise to pay extra (the difference).
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
cschmidt1956
cschmidt1956 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem with my 99 Olds just after I bought it. It was parked under the Mercury Vapor light I have on the garage and it made those spots POP! Took it back to the dealer and they agreed that it was actually Acid Rain Damage or Damage incurred in shipping. The wet sanded all the effected areas and then clear coated the entire car. Came out perfect and a little thicker too. After many winters it has held up well, and the only problem are that I do have is the rear bumper cover, but that is an aging problem more than cause from the original problem in 99.
2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT2/RS V6
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door - Sapphire Black (Gone but NOT forgotten!)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Brilliant Black Metallic
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, Black
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Pictures?
2007 OPEL Astra Diesel
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
krinkov
krinkov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
poor quality clearcloat and/or perhaps too few coats of clear. clearcoat by nature is soft and takes a couple of months to cure harder as the gases from it & the base coat have to leach off.
if clearcloat on a newly painted car, at the bodyshop, is allowed to cure twice as long at half the temperature in the oven, the coating will be harder & thus more durable.
if/when gm decides to repaint(?) ask the bodyshop to apply top quality clearcoat. it costs more but u might be wise to pay extra (the difference).
Actually, if Europe is anything like the US, the clear coat is a top notch brand. I work for GM at the G6/Malibu plant and work with the paint. (repair painter) The clear is one of PPG's best clear coats available. In fact, we just switched in the last few years to an even harder clear. To the best of my knowledge, all of the GM plants either use Dupont or PPG brand paint. It's not a no-name clear coat.
krinkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
KillerX

2008 Astra XR

Well I NEED to tell you guys something.
I went to Saturn, they checked it out and the guy told me he would be right back, well he brings out the General Manager of GM (that just happened to be their) and he said "We will take care of you" he also found a chip that looked like it was fixed previously and he said he would take care of it.

All I have to say is, WOW I can not believe Saturns customer service! It was soo good my dad is now looking at buying a saturn. I mean simple things as cookies, apples and water, help make the visit enjoyable!

Anyhoo he says hes going to give it to his body man to see if it can be buffed and if not its the next step

I will keep ya guys informed through the process

Brad
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
paulff3

I would still call Saturn and let them know. What we go through now may help fellow Astra buyers down the road.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
djmtz1
djmtz1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Information Re: ATTN White Astra owners - Paint problem

I called ruth wellman today, she was surprised I called but she was helpful, probably shouldve asked her before posting her number................
djmtz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
paulff3

I hope she doesn't mind. The reason I mentioned her specifically was I asked her "if any other Astra owners had contacted Saturn Customer Service about paint problems". She said none that she knew of.

Well, now we know there are more than one of us experiecing problems and we know of a contact that has heard from more than one of us.

Other companies put their customer service folks out on the web. Look at Mike Phillips at Meguiars. You can email him directly or call him directly.

Hopefully, our efforts will help all owners with issues and Saturn to resolve them.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
astramike
astramike is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Brad, I noticed something in the paint on my rear door. I started to rub it to see if it was just something I could get with a little effort. It flaked off down to the metal. Granted, this is a small spot, but your post had me wondering if there is more there that I am not seeing. I am going in tomorrow for the service guys to look at it. I told the manager that the spot itself is not big, but that I don't want this to be an overall problem with the paint. He was very apologetic and understanding. I just pray it can be dealt with fairly easily. Keep you posted.
astramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #12
djmtz1
djmtz1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

astramike, thats the same exact spot and thing that happened to me! keep us posted please, Im gonna follow the same route as you
djmtz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
astramike

2008 Astra XR

Saturn is too easy to deal with. I don't get how they are so good about everything. It is crazy. I took it in and he looked at it. He said they'd call me Monday to set up a time to bring it in. They're gonna get the spot fixed and double check the rest of the car's paint. AND, they give you loner car to use while it is being fixed. My dealership doesn't have a bodyshop, so they send it to one of two places in the area to do the work. I hate that this happened to my new car, but they couldn't be better at taking care of it.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by astramike View Post
Saturn is too easy to deal with. I don't get how they are so good about everything. It is crazy. I took it in and he looked at it. He said they'd call me Monday to set up a time to bring it in. They're gonna get the spot fixed and double check the rest of the car's paint. AND, they give you loner car to use while it is being fixed. My dealership doesn't have a bodyshop, so they send it to one of two places in the area to do the work. I hate that this happened to my new car, but they couldn't be better at taking care of it.
thats why I have owned them for years.... Great Service.. Treat you like you own BMW!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
astramike

2008 Astra XR

Not getting good service from my dealer at all. They want me to call Monday of next week, which will be OVER 2 WEEKS since I dropped it off for a very small blemish in the paint. I am wondering where the great service went. If I would have forseen all of this, I would not have purchased a Saturn.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
PortCityShawn
PortCityShawn is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by astramike View Post
Not getting good service from my dealer at all. They want me to call Monday of next week, which will be OVER 2 WEEKS since I dropped it off for a very small blemish in the paint. I am wondering where the great service went. If I would have forseen all of this, I would not have purchased a Saturn.
They must be doing more than touching up the blemish (which can be done very well on the lot in a few hours) Why don't you call & ask them exactly what's going on?
Shawn

Shawn Beaudoin
eBusiness Manager
Saturn of Portsmouth
Portsmouth, NH
PortCityShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
KillerX

2008 Astra XR

astramike, I would hold off a little bit, I know here in Canada Saturn had to call the regional manager to get approval of what is coverd with GM's part and what Saturn has to cover. Its been about 2 weeks but they said another part I needed would take a while

Brad
Old 10-21-2008, 08:03 PM   #18
astramike

2008 Astra XR

I hear what you guys are saying. Just crazy that I have had a car for less than a month and already it is in the shop. On top of that they actually told me it would be done in a few days, then never called to tell me otherwise. I expect this kind of service from any other dealer that I would buy a car from, but not from Saturn. My g/fs sister and mom RAVE about how awesome the service is at the same dealer I go to. I guess if I am just getting an oil change or something it might be different. Live and learn I guess.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #19
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Paint damage can occur either during transport when the vehicle is trucked to the dealership or can most likely occur on the lot from many natural elements. In my state, we have acid rain, sand storms and heavy pollen with tree sap. Unfortunately that means if cars are not washed on a frequent basis and inspected surface damage is inevitable.

AFAIK, Saturn will reimburse the dealership up to $500. for environmental damage (caused on the lot) if your vehicle's paint was damaged. I went thru this with my brand new '07 ION, which I discovered after taking it home was heavily pitted with tree sap from the previous pollen storm on the lot (I got a good deal on it because it was an old-age unit). Sap had sat on the paint and when I tried to polish it off, some went down into the primer. They had to send it to a body shop to have the entire upper surface painted. Needless to say I was less than enthused but went with the flow (thats another story).

It is a wise idea to inspect your paint thoroughly when buying a new car, both in sunlight and in the shade. I fear that as the Astra is not selling very well and dealers are very overstocked, from long-time sitting they would be subjected to potential environmental damage, so do check it out beforehand.
marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #20
paulff3

Marx404, I agree. This is exactly what I am going through. (See my posts.)

Shame on me for not seeing the paint problem. But... but... shame on the dealer for delivering a "new" car to me (and others) that required painting immediately.
15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!