SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General

Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
lsquardb
lsquardb is on a distinguished road

Default New owner with a couple of questions

Hi Everyone,

I picked up my new Astra today, drove it 200 miles and am very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions however.

The styrofoam block that holds the jack, lug wrench and screwdriver has empty cutouts for more tools. Does anyone know what goes in there? It looks like it might be three sockets, a ratchet, and a feeler gauge, but I'm just guessing.

The rear view mirror is very distracting: it's too big with those buttons on the bottom, too close to my face, and the stupid illuminated orange airbag message draws more attention that what's going on behind the car. I'm going to cover up the message with some black tape in the morning. I could care less about OnStar, and would much prefer a different mirror. Has anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks.
lsquardb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: New owner with a couple of questions

As for the mirror, if you dim the instrument panel lights just a little bit, the air bag message goes to a lower setting.
The family:
1993 SL2: 051,000 mi (!)
1996 SL2: 260,000 mi (sold)
2001 SL2: 98,000 mi
2002 L200: 215,000 mi
2006 VUE: 50,000 mi (sold)
2007 Ranger: 40,000 mi
2008 Astra: 161,000 mi
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Heh heh heh, well you know who to thank for that lovely rear view mirror with the idiot lights to tell you when the passenger air bag is armed? The blood sucking lawyers hard up to earn big $$$ in an effort to sue the auto makers for STILL making death traps!!! Yes, thanks to the wonderful masters of verbal banter, we get 400 + page owners manuals, idiot and warning chimes, and warning placquards pasted everywhere in the vehicle. I wonder if this car has a black box in it too?

To address your question about the cut out, the European cars have a more extensive tool / tire changing kit. This part is carryover from the European cars. We just don't need or get the tool kits.
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquardb View Post
Hi Everyone,

I picked up my new Astra today, drove it 200 miles and am very pleased with it. I do have a couple of questions however.

The styrofoam block that holds the jack, lug wrench and screwdriver has empty cutouts for more tools. Does anyone know what goes in there? It looks like it might be three sockets, a ratchet, and a feeler gauge, but I'm just guessing.

The rear view mirror is very distracting: it's too big with those buttons on the bottom, too close to my face, and the stupid illuminated orange airbag message draws more attention that what's going on behind the car. I'm going to cover up the message with some black tape in the morning. I could care less about OnStar, and would much prefer a different mirror. Has anyone replaced theirs?

Thanks.

you will get used to that big mirror but it pissed me off the first weeks too.i dont care about the airbag light though
2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Sky Man View Post
I wonder if this car has a black box in it too?
Yep, it does. All GM cars for the last 10 years or so have had them. Most (if not all) other makes have them as well. It records the last several seconds of speed, braking, seat belt use, etc. leading up to an airbag deployment. It takes a court order to view the information without your consent.

Back on topic... the mirror bothered me, particularly the bright orange lights. But I don't notice them anymore. You'll get used to them.
Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

If you take a black sharpie and color over the LED light it will just look like it is tinted and the led will not be nearly as bright.
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

Never did have a problem with the mirror. Maybe mine is smaller. Seems about the same as my VUE. Jus wish it had the auto dimmer on it instead of having to do it manual and the compass.
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i have no problem with my mirror. what i did, though, for better rear vision was to remove the rear seat head rests. now i have a much improved view and besides nobody sits in the backseat.
Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
i have no problem with my mirror. what i did, though, for better rear vision was to remove the rear seat head rests. now i have a much improved view and besides nobody sits in the backseat.
i did the same the day after buying the car and it works perfectly
2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
GM Sky Man
GM Sky Man is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Same here. 86-ed the rear seat head rests (except on the side with the Graco CarGo car seat - yea baby!)

As far as the rear view mirror, since it is mounted to a 4 bar linkage, I just reached up on the mirror and smashed the thing into the ceiling so that it does not hang down nearly as low. Works for me as I am tall.
GM Sky Man is offline   Reply With Quote