SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
rockermikey
rockermikey is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Dizzy Oil Light Stays On

Hi there...the oil light on 1999 SL 1 with 178 000 km's on it stays on for a couple minutes then goes off. I noticed that once oil reaches the valves it goes off. I can tell by the noiseyness of the valves. One day it would'nt go off at all and had it towed to my shop. The mechanic said it could be one of 2 things..the first being the filter in the oil pan being plugged...can do one of 2 things there...do a hot engine flush ....$120 or remove the oil pan and clean or replace the filter...$400-600!. The other option was replacing the oil pump....$700-900!!!....I opted for the hot flush with some kind of chemical added in the new oil for $120. Now today the light will not go off. Does anyone think it could be the filter in the pan?..or do I have to replace the oil pump....or is something totally different....he also said while he's got it apart may as well replace the timing chain. I thought it wasn't necessary to do being a chain. Also...is it dangerous to drive with the light on? Any help will be greatly appreciated. He also tested the oil pressure and it the readings were 10 psi at idle (which is low according to him) and 40 psi at fast idle which was in the range. Thanks in advance...

Cheers
Mike
rockermikey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
stang50
stang50 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: Oil Light Stays On

If your pressure is at 10 psi idle then you have a big problem. It could be your oil pump, your main bearings are gone. You are about to have to have a blown engine if you don't hurry up and get the pressure up...
stang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Ok, so he thinks the filter is plugged then he recommends the $120 flush? The flush forced more crud into the oil pickup filter, not less!! The pan needs to come off to see what's really going on. He soaked you for an extra $120 with the flush and he knows it. You got hosed. And the flush was bunk to begin with. Use good oil and you don't need a flush.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
rockermikey
rockermikey is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I guess you are right....this was about 3 months ago and it didn't really start acting up till the other day....My bad.....
rockermikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
dsbike
dsbike is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I would replace the oil pump & clean the screen/filter in the pan. While the mechanic is in there I would have him check the tollarances of the timing chain, if it is bad replace it.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote