SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Mach1
Mach1 is on a distinguished road

Question rear top bar stoplight recall?

2003 L200: Some of the rear top bar stoplight bulbs have gone out each year for two years in a row , and I've had to replace the whole unit to pass state inspections. Has there been a recall on this? Never had a problem on any other Saturns that I have owned? How is this problem fixed for good. Thanks, Mac
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: rear top bar stoplight recall?

No, there's not a recall on the center brake light. There is a recall on the outer brake lights and I stopped burning out the center lights right after I got the recall done on the outer's. Haven't burned one out in 3 years.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

If it's happened two years in a row, the replacement part should be under warranty correct? Dealership parts all come with at least a 12/12 warranty. Assuming of course your inspection was done within the year they are generally good for, the part should have been under warranty.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 AM   #4
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

The bulbs burn out alot. There's now an easy way to convert it to LEDs which wont burn out. (See thread elsewhere in the L-series forum) Why did you have to replace the whole unit?
PaulGraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Mach1

Question Re: rear top bar stoplight recall?

Was told by Saturn retailer that they don't replace bulbs, and had to buy the whole unit to pass inspection. On the other comment about Saturn parts having a 12/12 warranty, no one in neither Saturn service nor their parts dept mentioned anything about a warranty on parts. What is the recall on the rear brake lights that might be effecting the rear top stoplight and causing them to burn out? Thanks all ! Mac
Old 02-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
bdrake
bdrake is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
Was told by Saturn retailer that they don't replace bulbs,
Yikes! I would go to a different dealership, or to an honest mechanic. They saw an opportunity to rip you off, and they took it!

You can order the individual bulbs with the socket assembly (EIKO brand PC168) from www.lightbulbemporium.com. They are about $2 apiece. I have ordered those as well as some LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com, and I'll be installing them and taking pictures when they arrive. I'll be posting them in this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112968

--Barry
bdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
PaulGraz
Advanced Member
PaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to allPaulGraz is a name known to all

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Was told by Saturn retailer that they don't replace bulbs, and had to buy the whole unit to pass inspection.
Sorry - but you got ripped off. You could have gone to a NAPA, bought replacement PC168 bulbs for $3/ea and replaced them yourself - it's very easy. Even if you replaced all 6 bulbs, it would still be well under $20. I bought bulbs from a Saturn parts counter (once) and they cost twice as much - but you still don't replace the whole unit just because some bulbs are burned out.

Quote:
What is the recall on the rear brake lights that might be effecting the rear top stoplight and causing them to burn out?
There's no recall. The bulbs burn out. If it's a wagon, slamming the rear hatch tends to help blow the bulbs out.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Rear outter were recalled for faulty (weak) stamped plates that eventually shorted to ground, which would blow bulbs, make stop lights work erratically and prevent cruise control from working when lights were on. Recall replaced the stamped plate with a different one that would not short.
Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

thats a new one, never heard the third brake light called the "rear top bar stoplight"
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Mach1

Mad Re: rear third brake light recall?

I appreciate all the information so far. Saturn tells me there has NOT been a recall on the third brake light , and , that there is not a 12/12 warranty on electrical parts. So....does anyone know exactly what bulb # goes in this third brake light assembly, so I can buy some , and replace the ones that have burned out again. This still doesn't solve the original problem of bulbs burning out, and, these replacement bulbs could also burn out in the future !
Has anyone with a 2003 Saturn L200 sedan had this same problem? HOW was it resolved? Mac
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There were suggestions above for LED replacements, not quite as bright, as well as PC168 bulbs. There are a few write-ups for each type, LED or regular lamps, to replace what you have with some modification. Search the threads. Your choice. Here's one I did; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109104 in post #6.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
PaulGraz
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: rear third brake light recall?

Quote:
So....does anyone know exactly what bulb # goes in this third brake light assembly, so I can buy some , and replace the ones that have burned out again.
Mach1 - please read the replies in this thread and others in this forum - the answers are all here.

As I already posted, the bulb replacement is PC168. You can get them at your local NAPA for less than half of what the dealer charges. The last time I bought them they were under $3.

There are also places you can mail order them, but because this is a small $ item, the shipping probably exceed what it will cost you to drive to your local NAPA (or other parts store).

(I mention NAPA because in my area they carry the PC168. The large chain stores like PepBoys and AutoZone do not.)

Some of us are experimenting with LED replacements, but at this point it's still just an experiment. The LEDs are not as bright but they should last longer.

Lights burn out. That's a fact of car ownership. Good car owners replace them when they burn out. These just burn out more often...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Go to http://lightbulbemporium.com

search for pc168

Order the EIKO pc168 bulbs. They run $1.99 each.
The bulb consists of a holder and a standard 168 bulb. You will never need a PC168 bulb again. When they burn out, you can replace them with a standard 168 bulb that is available almost anywhere.
Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #14
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directlighting View Post
Thanks for sharing the best threads related to lighting. If you are searching for wholesalers LED bulbs supplier in the USA now connect with Direct Lighting Solutions. Visit Website: https://directlightingsolutions.com/
Site is blocked for spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
thats a new one, never heard the third brake light called the "rear top bar stoplight"
I call it commonly the cyclops, any way works.

I converted 194's or 168's & used the old sockets to replacer the ones in mine, yet I find the 161's have longest life & burn cooler.... hard to find though, I had an electronic supply place I used get them from in a 10 pack for around $3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3nfo View Post
No, there's not a recall on the center brake light. There is a recall on the outer brake lights and I stopped burning out the center lights right after I got the recall done on the outer's. Haven't burned one out in 3 years.
My wagons outer lamps had slightly burned or distorted the lense, Saturn did not feel that warranted any replacement for the lense but the lamps were changed to a cooler lamp before I purchased this.
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote