SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
mellissam
Senior Member
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough
 
mellissam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Garden Bay, B.C.
Posts: 1,726
 

2006 VUE 2.2L
Question Cabin Air Filter

I know this was discussed a while back, but it was for the MicronAir filter, which apparently doesn't say it is HEPA rated....they say "High Efficiency Particulate Filter"...whatever that means....


http://www.micronair.us/General+Motors/98

Plus, they don't ship to Canada...
So, has anyone in Canada (or USA - maybe they will ship to Canada) gotten a HEPA rated cabin air filter? Please share the info if you have come across one ....My Dealer wants $40 for the OEM filter which doesn't impress me...especially considering the fact I shredded it by having my fan on high speed....
...
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 45,314
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Ok, I can understand wood chipping but a dual purpose fan and filter recycling unit? I never heard of this in the States, maybe its a Canadian thing............................................. .........Nah!?

I think we tend to go overboard with this HEPA (high efficiency particulate air filter) thing to strain micro molecules from an enclosed space. If you're an allergy sufferer then it would help but there's a high price to pay for HEPA rated filters, if you can find them for your Vue. There is a standard that separates ordinary air filters from HEPA filters due to more filtration using different filter media in combination to hold back the micro spores and such from entering the interior. But I think it becomes a moot point whenever the doors open, letting in all of nature. I just buy whatever discount filters there are online and save money. And don't we have a free trade agreement or am I mistaken believing politics and business won't stand in the way?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about
 
Ritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LOL
Posts: 2,927
 

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I know this was discussed a while back, but it was for the MicronAir filter, which apparently doesn't say it is HEPA rated....they say "High Efficiency Particulate Filter"...whatever that means....


http://www.micronair.us/General+Motors/98

Plus, they don't ship to Canada...
So, has anyone in Canada (or USA - maybe they will ship to Canada) gotten a HEPA rated cabin air filter? Please share the info if you have come across one ....My Dealer wants $40 for the OEM filter which doesn't impress me...especially considering the fact I shredded it by having my fan on high speed....
The cabin air filter at NAPA for the VUE is only US$20. It doesn't say anything about HEPA on the box, but seems like a good alternative to paying $40 at the stealer.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about
 
Ritz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: LOL
Posts: 2,927
 

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Ok, I can understand wood chipping but a dual purpose fan and filter recycling unit? I never heard of this in the States, maybe its a Canadian thing............................................. .........Nah!?

I think we tend to go overboard with this HEPA (high efficiency particulate air filter) thing to strain micro molecules from an enclosed space. If you're an allergy sufferer then it would help but there's a high price to pay for HEPA rated filters, if you can find them for your Vue. There is a standard that separates ordinary air filters from HEPA filters due to more filtration using different filter media in combination to hold back the micro spores and such from entering the interior. But I think it becomes a moot point whenever the doors open, letting in all of nature. I just buy whatever discount filters there are online and save money. And don't we have a free trade agreement or am I mistaken believing politics and business won't stand in the way?
I agree that HEPA is overkill for a car for the reasons that you mention. Even the standard filter SUBSTANTIALLY reduces dust and pollen in the car. I would say eliminate, but whenever the doors and windows are open all bets are off.

Cheers,
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
mellissam
Senior Member
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough
 
mellissam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Garden Bay, B.C.
Posts: 1,726
 

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...... HEPA (high efficiency particulate air filter) .....
Doh!
Geesh, my brain is letting me down.....
So, MicronAir is HEPA rated.....Yeah, I know windows open, it is useless, but if I can stop my filter from spraying fibers around, I'll be happy.....
...
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
fdryer
Super Member
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute
 
fdryer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 45,314
 

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Ha-ha..... I remember that post. Are you holding back, perhaps not telling us about a turbo blower in the dash for REAL airflow ventilation? That would explain the filter shredding unless you were the unfortunate victim of a defective filter. Maybe trying just a straight cabin filter replacement will cure the shredding problem. Its worth a try at least once unless you've gone that route already, then its anyone's guess what to use.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #7
mellissam
Senior Member
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough
 
mellissam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Garden Bay, B.C.
Posts: 1,726
 

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Ha-ha..... I remember that post. Are you holding back, perhaps not telling us about a turbo blower in the dash for REAL airflow ventilation?
No, it is the standard OEM (I think) HVAC system...the fan on highest setting shredded my cabin air filter, so I thought, maybe a HEPA rated filter might handle the sunction.....still bits of the filter all over the interior
...
'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #8
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough
 
bue05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 617
 

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

I wonder if its a defective filter or if it got wet once or a few times for that matter, and then dried up really well but when blower is on high. Its like brittle and blowing all over the place.. Odd. I know that they don't last that long depending on how much and where you live.... It was kinda cool I was trying to look it up for you melissa, i got my filter over the internet for the vue, but funny thing is they sent me two for the price of one. It just showed up in the mail one day months later and they never billed me for it.. I think it was like Filtersnow.com or something like that. it was 16.99 i change ours every 10 to 13,000 miles. Good luck, i would get the cheapest. !!!!Might i throw out a word of caution!!!! When changing out the in-cabin air filter, and if you are like me, which melissa i know your all about silven looking the best!! you will be tempted to wipe and clean at the area and surrounding area where the filter is at. Be careful not to slice your finger(s) open on the very sharp black metal ridge above the filter towards the back right. OUCH!!! If i had been rubbing faster and harder than i was, i probably would have severed my ******* finger. good luck bue05
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
Roadmaster
Junior Member
Roadmaster is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 27
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

Replaced mine this weekend on a 2002 Vue that I recently purchased. One owner vehicle, always serviced, but the Quick Change oufit they frequented obviously missed an opportunity to make a buck off the cabin air filter! It was amazing as to how dirty/moldy the filter was. I suspect there was quite the science project going on in there.........so HEPA or not.......don't hesitate to change that filter!
Roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cabin air filter where is it???? lrhs10 Astra Tech 1 08-15-2008 11:41 AM
Cabin Air Filter Steamrunner 2008 Vue 2 10-21-2007 11:52 PM
Air Cabin Filter vanderveen44 Vue Tech 5 04-02-2007 11:15 AM
Cabin Air Filter sven1 S-Series General 4 12-27-2005 12:25 PM
Cabin air filter rgnelson Ion General 8 08-13-2005 07:31 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:36 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.