SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 02-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #1
utahprideboy
utahprideboy is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Parking Brake Cables (Discontinued)

So i took in my 2002 L 200 to have the left side brake cable fixed. the Saturn dealership i have taken my car to for 3 years now told me that the break cable had been discontinued. my car is from what i can tell the same as the 05 other than the front. so dose that mean all 05 cars less than 5 years old no longer have parts made for them! is this legal for GM to do? also the air pump solenoid for my car is bad and it is discontinued. My car having cali emissions and a air pump i have to have it! frustrating all these parts are discontinued and my car isn't even 9 years old yet! anyone have any suggestions or know if there is a after-market company that is going to start to make these parts for our Saturn owned by millions of people.
utahprideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Parking Brake Cables (Discontinued)

I don't know if brake cables are discontinued but I would presume parts are available. Did you check with a Saturn authorized dealer? I would also presume that some model years share parts. There are sponsors here that you can try since some are direct dealers for OEM parts. And then there are online parts suppliers like rockauto for most parts that everyone needs and buys. Perhaps not the brake cable but most everything else. Last would be the junk yard.

A good example is a Vue posting of one member buying a TAC on suspicion that the original is faulty. Dealer prices are around $500, used one for $50. The $50 one solved his problem.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
utahprideboy
utahprideboy is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks Fdyer

I went threw an authorized dealer. Saturn of St George. they are now a vw dealer but they called both chevy dealers that supply saturn parts and they said both parts are discontinued! i know there is a junk yard but i think its crap that they are discontinued. on cars that are not even 10 years old! maybe they will start to make them generic here in the future i don't know. anyways thanks for the info!
utahprideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
midway
midway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the roughmidway is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I work in a truck dealership, Volvo, Ford and GMC Medium Duty which has also gone out like Saturn. It is surprising that some parts are obsolete before the units are out of warranty. It has to be legal because it happens in all that I deal with, I think that years ago parts had to be kept available for 20 years by the OEM, not the case anymore. Check the aftermarket parts houses, check the ones on here first, it should be available out there somewhere.
midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I just went through something similar. I finally broke down and bought a Saturn luggage rack (online) but was never informed that I needed the hardware kit (separate) to mount it on my car. The former Saturn dealer in Maryland (now Chevy/Toyota/Lexus/whatever) that I ordered the rack from was very professional when I asked about missing parts (the rack didn't come with the clips needed to hook up to the car); he explained the hardware kit needed and while verifying the part number he called or went online and came back to me to point to two dealers (Washington and Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) still having the hardware kit. I called Ft Lauderdale to verify availability and made arrangements with a relative to buy and ship the kit to me.

If it wasn't for the parts clerk going the extra mile I would have had to figure out how to track down the kit or return the rack. There are still professionals out there that understand dwindling parts availability and capable of using whatever's necessary to serve the customer.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
TVCCS
TVCCS is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahprideboy View Post
So i took in my 2002 L 200 to have the left side brake cable fixed. the Saturn dealership i have taken my car to for 3 years now told me that the break cable had been discontinued. my car is from what i can tell the same as the 05 other than the front. so dose that mean all 05 cars less than 5 years old no longer have parts made for them! is this legal for GM to do? also the air pump solenoid for my car is bad and it is discontinued. My car having cali emissions and a air pump i have to have it! frustrating all these parts are discontinued and my car isn't even 9 years old yet! anyone have any suggestions or know if there is a after-market company that is going to start to make these parts for our Saturn owned by millions of people.
You need to ask for the part numbers, and then contact Vintage Parts...they are handling the Saturn stuff now, and still have a lot of the old parts. Some Saturn dealers also still order direct from Vintage...I'm sure there are people on here that can tell you which ones.

http://www.vpartsinc.com/
TVCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
DougLW300
DougLW300 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Found this old thread with my problem...for my 2001 LW300 I need the rear parking brake cables. The intermediate cables are available, the rear cables turn up "discontinued" when searching many sites, and at a dealer. I'm in the rust belt, there isn't much left of my original cables...

+ I just put in a request at https://www.car-part.com to see if there are any good used cables available. Will see if that turns up anything.

+ Another idea I had is to see if the 1999-2xxx Saab 9-5 cables fit (they are available on eBay). I believe that these two cars share the same GM platform, but have not been able to find any sort of cross reference. I may buy a set of the Saab cables and try them.

+ Does anyone have any other thoughts?
DougLW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #8
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

First does your wagon have discs or drums. They take different rear cables. EbayUK may list what you need look up Vauxhall Vectra B parts.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
DougLW300

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thanks for getting back to me!

Mine has disk brakes F and R (wasn't this standard on the LW300 V6?)

The eBay adverts I saw didn't say anything about disk or drum rear brakes on the Vectra B? "Estate" was listed, that's the same as "wagon" in USA. As well as UK, many listings were from Lithuania.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #10
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

They sold many times more Vectra B cars in Europe than they sold Saturn L cars here. Lots of parts for our cars are available from Europe.
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Back in 2018 replaced the parking brake cable plus rear suspension bushes on my son's 2003 L300. I ordered all the parts from Europe to be able to get the job done. I can't remember the exact places they came from, but they were for the Vectra B and no issues in installation. Same pasts as on the Satty. The ONLY part that you may have trouble finding is the return spring that lives outside the rear brake and so gets covered in all the road crap. Even in sunny Florida, these springs were in a bad condition. I could not find that part new anywhere, so I was lucky a snagged a couple at the local Pull & Pay.

As orphan Satunr owners, you just have to be creative with repairs and knowing many parts on the Saab 9-3 and 9-5 and Vectra B are interchangeable is valuable to have at your disposal.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 03:24 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLW300 View Post
Found this old thread with my problem...for my 2001 LW300 I need the rear parking brake cables. The intermediate cables are available, the rear cables turn up "discontinued" when searching many sites, and at a dealer. I'm in the rust belt, there isn't much left of my original cables...

+ I just put in a request at https://www.car-part.com to see if there are any good used cables available. Will see if that turns up anything.
If it were me I would not wait upon a wrecking yard to contact me through the website. I would contact wrecking yards directly by phone. Go to the parts look up page and after placing vehicle information in the appropriate fields choose rear drum/rotor as the part to find (parking brake cables are not present as a selection item). On the next page select rotor and see which yards come up. If the car had rear rotors then it may still have the cables attached to its parking brakes. So just give the yards a call and find one that may have them.

The cables you're needing fit ALL L-Series cars with rear disc brakes (wagon or sedan, V6 or 4 cylinder) from 2000 through 2005.
361K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weakened military; increased terrorism; an emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad.

Last edited by pierrot; 09-23-2021 at 03:30 PM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #13
DougLW300

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

> The cables you're needing...
Thanks to you and the others that replied!