SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Cheesesteak
Cheesesteak has a spectacular aura aboutCheesesteak has a spectacular aura aboutCheesesteak has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default 2 tires or Replace all four

The corner repair shop inspected my AWD Vue and say the front tires won't pass. I am not happy as I'd replaced all four on 6/15/18 with Falken brand ones that claimed to be good for 65k miles! There have been 3-4 tire rotations performed at various times from then until now - assuming Pep Boys and such were being honest on the bills. I looked up Falken warrantee info and it seems I would have needed to document every rotation (and maybe more) for the warrantee to be valid. I may still contact them but I don't expect much satisfaction. Did I mention the car has only covered 22.8k miles since the installation? So I went on this site reading posts from others who were debating the "replace 2 tires or all 4" question and now my head hurts a little. I was leaning towards the idea that this is PART TIME system and - not living in bad snow country - I don't know if power has EVER been diverted to the real wheels in the last 22.8k miles. I looking for advice on my current idea: Buy 2 new Falkens place them on the front and keep the old ones in case my tires get slashed. And as far a future rotations go, always swap front to back. I don't really want to give Falken more business but, if there is anything to the arguments people make about there being differences in circumference of 235x60x17 tires from one mfr to another I'm not sure I have a choice. Thanks
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2021, 09:32 AM   #2
Cheesesteak
Cheesesteak has a spectacular aura aboutCheesesteak has a spectacular aura aboutCheesesteak has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2 tires or Replace all four

Since I'm not getting any comments, I'll update a little. Based on much web surfing I am now leaning towards getting 2 new tires (the same Falkens I guess) and placing them on the rear. Many people feel that the 'You must buy 4 tires" argument is flawed. They point out that drivetrains have some built-in compensation for circumference variances and that no harm will result. I'd always favored putting the best tires on the front but everyone seems to say the rear will be better. I make sure the front is aligned first. And I'll measure the tread depth on the 2 better tires to see what's what. According to Falken's stats, the new tires will start with 10.5/32" depth. I Think the shop said my better ones are 8/32" but I'll check.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:30 PM   #3
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

It will still be your choice at the end of the day, usually, I buy 4 tires at the same time.
jbuenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #4
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

If all of my tires were 'bald', I'd buy 4 new ones too. I have since read other Saturn forums about how the 2004 awd system works and confirmed that the rear wheels are just along for the ride until the fronts lose traction. There is a clutch that then kicks in to engage the rear wheels. It is at that point where tires with different circumferences can cause problems. I believe Audi and Subaru systems (and probably others) work differently by sending some power to all four wheels all the time. Different story. I feel it is safe to just add 2 new ones as long as I place them both on the front or both on the rear.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #5
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

2 tires are fine. It's FWD most of the time.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #6
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
2 tires are fine. It's FWD most of the time.
Thanks! My only remaining issue is deciding where to put the new ones. Some posts I read preferred to place them on the rear as they would 'help prevent slipping & sliding' (or whatever). But maybe they were referring to full-time awd systems found in other makes. I've always felt that, when the fronts provide the power, steering and most of the braking - you'd want the best tires to be there. Worst case - a blowout - better to have that happen in the rear than on the front. Front End Align is sched'd for Monday. Will replace tires then too probably.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Worst case - a blowout - better to have that happen in the rear than on the front.
NO NO NO. With a blowout at the rear you have no control and can easily spin out. With a blowout on the front, you can at least steer to safety.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Cheesesteak

2004 VUE 3.5L

I guess - that in 50 years of driving - I've never really had a "blowout". Maybe I should not have used that term. I've just had a whole lot of tires that slowly went flat after being punctured by something. I even found one tire flat when I returned to my parked car, changed it, and ran over something very near my driveway and watched a different tire go flat after I'd parked! Two flats in one day! For now, I will keep the better tires on the front. I feel that this makes sense. I think it would be easier to steer and brake with two inflated front tires and one flat rear rather than the other way around.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
ernesto rex
ernesto rex is a jewel in the roughernesto rex is a jewel in the roughernesto rex is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

I think the reasoning behind putting the new tires in the rear comes from the idea that average driver is better at dealing with the front end of the car loosing traction than the rear.

Your choice in the end. Once the car leaves the shop they can stop anyone from doing a swap when they get home.
2000 LS2 (Sold, Sigh)

2003 VUE 3.0 FWD

2002 MINI Cooper R50

1978 GMC PU 7.4L

2020 Subaru Impreza
ernesto rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:40 AM   #10
patfood
patfood is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Thanks! My only remaining issue is deciding where to put the new ones. Some posts I read preferred to place them on the rear as they would 'help prevent slipping & sliding' (or whatever). But maybe they were referring to full-time awd systems found in other makes. I've always felt that, when the fronts provide the power, steering and most of the braking - you'd want the best tires to be there. Worst case - a blowout - better to have that happen in the rear than on the front. Front End Align is sched'd for Monday. Will replace tires then too probably.
I have read that it is ALWAYS advisable to put new tires on the rear on any car if only replacing two tires. This is the safest bet to not slip out around turns during wet or other low traction conditions.
patfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:11 AM   #11
morsegarrett
morsegarrett is on a distinguished road

I got information from your article which you have shared here. I will be sharing with my friends who will need this info. Thanks for it, Keep posting.
starve io
morsegarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #12
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the roughBismarck318 is a jewel in the rough

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
2006 VUE 3.5L

A few years back, they (my oil change & sometimes tire dealer) refused to put the bad ones on the back per their independent study, I would think you want the traction in the front.
Angry White Planet Ohth.... The REAL "Salt Life"!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #13
atikovi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomlipstick View Post
I made a note about it on the uk essays reviews. I'd appreciate it if you could read it and accept it.
We got a new spammer here.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #14
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the roughSL2 Ride is a jewel in the rough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfood View Post
I have read that it is ALWAYS advisable to put new tires on the rear on any car if only replacing two tires. This is the safest bet to not slip out around turns during wet or other low traction conditions.
Same.
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote