SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods

Old 05-08-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
hinsonracing
hinsonracing is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn FWD dirt track race car

Hey guys I have a question. I am running a 94 SL body with a 96 SL2 DOHC with the mp3 transmission. I run a 1/2 mile dirt oval race track. With the track and tire configuration we run 3rd gear. Just before entering the corners my car hits the rev limiter and lasts until naturally the cars dies back within it's range coming out of the corner. As you might guess I losing a LOT of momentum when it does this and really kills the car off of the corners. I heard the auto pcm swap and tried it. Only halfway down the straightaway a slower version of the previous rev limiter comes in and stays until I exit the corner. Am I missing some vital information. I have searched othwe threads but found nothing. Please help.
hinsonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2
Default Re: Saturn FWD dirt track race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsonracing View Post
Hey guys I have a question. I am running a 94 SL body with a 96 SL2 DOHC with the mp3 transmission. I run a 1/2 mile dirt oval race track. With the track and tire configuration we run 3rd gear. Just before entering the corners my car hits the rev limiter and lasts until naturally the cars dies back within it's range coming out of the corner. As you might guess I losing a LOT of momentum when it does this and really kills the car off of the corners. I heard the auto pcm swap and tried it. Only halfway down the straightaway a slower version of the previous rev limiter comes in and stays until I exit the corner. Am I missing some vital information. I have searched othwe threads but found nothing. Please help.
There's a standing rev limiter (4k?) and the usual rev limiter (whatever red line is)

Is there some reason the PCM would think the car isn't moving, and it's enabling that limiter?
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 SW2 5 Speed 230k - Gone!
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
'00 Tahoe Z71 - Truck stuff
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
johnny95sl2
johnny95sl2 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1995 SC2

Switch to a MP2 transmission out of a SC1 or SL1. The gears are longer so you can rev the motor less at the same wheel speed
johnny95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
hinsonracing

I'm not sure if the pcm is seeing vehicle speed or not. The cluster isn't in the vehicle. I plug the manual pcm back in and it is just like it should be so I would assume that the vss is reading properly. As for the MP2 trans. It's not enough gear. Anybody running the MP2 is getting lapped. In dirt track racing you have to keep the rpms wound up. I was curious as to whether there was something extra I am supposed to so other than simply plug in the auto pcm.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
wi111y
Advanced Member

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
I'm not sure if the pcm is seeing vehicle speed or not. The cluster isn't in the vehicle. I plug the manual pcm back in and it is just like it should be so I would assume that the vss is reading properly. As for the MP2 trans. It's not enough gear. Anybody running the MP2 is getting lapped. In dirt track racing you have to keep the rpms wound up. I was curious as to whether there was something extra I am supposed to so other than simply plug in the auto pcm.
Nope. I did a 5 speed swap on a car, left all the auto stuff unplugged but initially ran it on the auto PCM. Worked exactly the way it should.
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
Old 05-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #6
wi111y
Advanced Member

1995 SL
1995 SW2

I think I figured it out! Reading the other thread you posted in, the limiter comes on when you're entering a dirt corner...

I think you're activating traction control
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project
Old 05-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Try spinning the tires from take off with the auto PCM, if it has TC the take off will be killed worse than even Pennywise could think of.

If the body has ABS, the 5spd PCM for '91-'94 doesn't have TC so you won't be seeing that limiter with the 5spd PCM. Once you put the auto PCM in you gain the added stupidity of TC and unless you hit the TC button to turn it off it's going to annoy you.

Should be lighting the upshift light if you put a 5spd cluster in, the auto cluster has a "traction active" overlay for the same bulb.

If it is TC activating you might be able to disable it by pulling the ABS fuse which will give the added benefit of disabling ABS.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
hinsonracing

Got it working. The first auto pcm I tried was out of a 97. I wrecked the car week before last so I was at pullapart getting another doorskin. I nabbed another pcm out of a 96 which is what the drive train and wiring harness is out of. I tried it this weekend and it did as the swap should. Must have been a different calibration idk. For those talking about the shift lights or traction light.... the info would have been useless. This is a race car. Only gauges we run is a voltage, temp, and oil pressure.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #9
wi111y
Advanced Member

1995 SL
1995 SW2

Quote:
Got it working. The first auto pcm I tried was out of a 97. I wrecked the car week before last so I was at pullapart getting another doorskin. I nabbed another pcm out of a 96 which is what the drive train and wiring harness is out of. I tried it this weekend and it did as the swap should. Must have been a different calibration idk. For those talking about the shift lights or traction light.... the info would have been useless. This is a race car. Only gauges we run is a voltage, temp, and oil pressure.
So you got a PCM without ABS/traction control.
'95 SL 5 Speed 220k - DD
'95 Camaro Z28 - Project