SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Man Trans Fluid: Dexron III vs VI

Bought some Valvoline Maxlife ATF for the MANUAL transmission in my 2002 SL.

Strange thing is that the specs on their website say it complies with BOTH Dexron III and VI. This sounds fishy to me. Anybody use this stuff in an MP2 trans?

Other recommendations?

On another matter, I can't find any specs on parts store PS fluids other than "good for GM and Ford vehicles. Not reassuring. is this universal stuff good for our PS systems?
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Man Trans Fluid: Dexron III vs VI

You are OK on the power steering fluid.

The ATF that claims Dex-6 compatibility is too low of a viscosity. Dex-3 is 7.5 to 7.7 and Dex-6 is 6.5 and that is a bunch. Look for an ATF that does not mention Dex-6. The 2 that I know for sure are OK are Mobil-1 synthetic universal ATF and Amsoil synthetic universal ATF, and these will work well in the automatic. Neither one is listed as Dex-6.

Round up your local Amsoil dealer and buy a gallon of Torque-Drive synthetic ATF and fill the manual trans and use the extra in the power steering.

GM came out and claimed that Dex-6 is backward compatible for use where Dex-3 was specified in automatics. It probably is in a conventional automatic. This is a shot of the back of a jug of Dex-6.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I had Maxlife ATF in my SL2 5spd transmission. I wasn't happy with the shifting so I invested in some Torquedrive (~5X more expensive around here). Although it's better, I'm still not happy so I'm going to with the Stainless shifter bushing next to see how much that helps.

I guess I'm on the fence about the Maxlife ATF. It meets some pretty tough spec's that a lot of other ATF's don't so it should have some higher quality ingredients. Maybe the Maxlife caused some problem in my transmission that the toquedrive couldn't recover from? Maybe the transmission was abused before I got it and a fluid change isn't going to fix that? Maybe the new bushing will smooth things out? I hope so.
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are a couple of fluids that you can use in teh MANUAL transmission with success. But, if by poor shifting you mean blocked shifts then that is just wear. A bit higher viscosity helps but is not a panacea.

It also helps that the cables are straight and clean and the transmission shift levers are not covered in oil and grit. Powdered mica is the best lube. Gun shop or high end art supply store. You want 100% powdered mica, no fancy color.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Thanks oldnuc!

Is that Navy or civilian type nuc?
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You are OK on the power steering fluid.

The ATF that claims Dex-6 compatibility is too low of a viscosity. Dex-3 is 7.5 to 7.7 and Dex-6 is 6.5 and that is a bunch. Look for an ATF that does not mention Dex-6. The 2 that I know for sure are OK are Mobil-1 synthetic universal ATF and Amsoil synthetic universal ATF, and these will work well in the automatic. Neither one is listed as Dex-6.

Round up your local Amsoil dealer and buy a gallon of Torque-Drive synthetic ATF and fill the manual trans and use the extra in the power steering.

GM came out and claimed that Dex-6 is backward compatible for use where Dex-3 was specified in automatics. It probably is in a conventional automatic. This is a shot of the back of a jug of Dex-6.
I have synthetic GM/Allison/Castrol Transynd ATF in my manual transmission now. Cost me $38 at the local GM/Allison dealer down the road. Seems to work very well so far, and has very similar viscosity to the DEX-3 that had been in there. Amsoil ATF appears to be quite similar to Transynd, but costs $5 to $10 more in these parts.
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Torque-Drive and the Transynd are identical spec wise. Either one works just fine.

I would think you could use it in the automatic also and take the fluid change interval out to next never. The only justification that I have found for the original 30,000 mile automatic change interval was the short service life of the Dexron-3.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Man Trans Fluid: Dexron III vs VI

I'm still pretty happy with the R/P Synchromax fluid I put in a while back. It replaced MaxLife and it did make a noticeable difference in shifting (smoother).
DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
Thanks oldnuc!

Is that Navy or civilian type nuc?
Primarily civilian although I spent time on a sub tender for fast attack boats.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
lewdwig
lewdwig is on a distinguished road

Currently, I'm using a mix of MaxLife ATF and Mag-1 (both Dex III). I'll be switching to a mix of RP Max ATF and RP Synchromax to see if it shifts smoother, though it's probably rusty operator issues more than tranny issues.
lewdwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Why the mixture? Mixing lubricants can prove counterproductive due to unforeseen additive component interactions.