SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 05-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Silver Gray
Silver Gray is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Best thing to do with damaged SW2?

I have a 95 SW2 that was damaged in the bad ice storm we had in the Ozarks back in January - big tree limbs fell and broke out the back glass and one side glass, and worst, one pierced the roof, leaving a hole about 4" wide and more than two feet long. However, all the running gear is fine - good engine, tranny, tires.

It didn't have comprehensive anymore; I can't afford to pay for the repairs and I am not able to repair this damage myself. But I know I need to do something about it. It's taking up needed driveway space, and the car cover I bought for it does not keep out all the heavy rains we have. I keep having to siphon water out of the floorwells. (And it's raining as I type this...)

My question is what do y'all think would be the best way to go? 1) Call all the salvage yards in the area and take it to the one with the highest offer? 2) Advertise it for sale locally for a while? 3) Advertise it on this website? Or 4) ??.

Thanks for your advice. Being a poor decision-maker, I appreciate it very much.

Dave
01 SL2, 95 SW2
SG
Silver Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2
Default Re: Best thing to do with damaged SW2?

Two words:

DUNE BUGGY!!!
2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Five words

I like the sound of that
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I would put an ad on the classified section here, as well as maybe even put an ad on Ebay.

You could definately make a decent amount by parting it out, especially since the engine and the trans are in good working condition.

That's what I would do. You are probably only like to get not much from a Salvage Yard.

Parting it would be the best way to go. Body panels, interior, engine, trans, mirrors...you have a good parts car that is Gen 1 1/2 as it has the first gen exterior and the 2nd Gen interior.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Is the roof panel only 8 bolts like on the early models? My SI doesn't go back to the Gen1's but it looks doable to replace the roof, side window and hatch window with junkyard parts if the rest is in good shape? Admittedly a lot of work but much better than you'd get for scrap.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
jbracefan1977
jbracefan1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
I would put an ad on the classified section here, as well as maybe even put an ad on Ebay.

You could definately make a decent amount by parting it out, especially since the engine and the trans are in good working condition.

That's what I would do. You are probably only like to get not much from a Salvage Yard.

Parting it would be the best way to go. Body panels, interior, engine, trans, mirrors...you have a good parts car that is Gen 1 1/2 as it has the first gen exterior and the 2nd Gen interior.
+1
jbracefan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
Five words

I like the sound of that
Someone doesn't count well...

I agree with just selling it if you don't care to fix it. If the spaceframe is bent up, it's probably not worth fixing anyway, but someone will want the drivetrain and/or body panels. In fact, depending on the color of the car and condition of the body panels, there may be some people on sixthsphere that would be interested in the exterior panels. Depending on how much time, mechanical ability, patience, etc you have, you might do ok parting it out yourself.
SaturnSeries.net owner
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:53 AM   #8
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Sorry, Silver Gray, I too only cover the other guy and would be out in a situation like that so I understand your situation. If you decide to advertise, Craigslist, I think, offers listings for free. I think you would get a better price for it there, than if you listed it on Ebay because it would be more of a "local" advertisement. And, you can always say "no" to an offer. Don't know if you've ever sold anything on Craigslist before but it is very simple. Good luck.
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
Silver Gray

2001 SL2

Sincere thanks for all the advice, everybody! I realize I have a real sentimental attachment to this car, but I can't make any practical use of it anymore and it's only deteriorating where it is.

With your advice, I've decided to advertise it on Craigslist (thanks Jerry) and also here as a great source of parts or as a potential dune buggy. (I don't think the frame is bent.)

Anybody suggest a price to start with? Edmund's "rough condition" is $885 and Kelley's minimum "fair condition" is over $1800.

Thanks again,

Dave
SG
Old 05-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Gray View Post
Sincere thanks for all the advice, everybody! I realize I have a real sentimental attachment to this car, but I can't make any practical use of it anymore and it's only deteriorating where it is.

With your advice, I've decided to advertise it on Craigslist (thanks Jerry) and also here as a great source of parts or as a potential dune buggy. (I don't think the frame is bent.)

Anybody suggest a price to start with? Edmund's "rough condition" is $885 and Kelley's minimum "fair condition" is over $1800.

Thanks again,

Dave
Are you sure this is something you can't fix yourself----just to sell? I mean, the windows can be taken off junkers (wait for the 1/2 off sales) and installed by you. As far as the hole in the roof, take it to someplace like Earl Scheib for an estimate. Who cares what the roof is going to look like???? Being way up there, few would notice. And a "perfect" match would hardly show; therefore, Earl Scheib. You may be able to get that done for a couple hundred. Again, wait for Earl's sales.

The way I see it is that if you fix it up, with maybe $300-350 invested, you may be able to realize your $1800 if the rest of the car is really nice. And as far as installing the windows, just ask the forum how to take them out and install. I'm sure someone here has done it before and will walk you through it. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The roof is fiberglass; not sure how it's attached. Fiberglass repair isn't out of the question. Is the damage back on the ribbed part of the roof? If it's on the forward, flat part, it might be a candidate for a sunroof.

A wagon would be a lousy candidate for a dune buggy; '95 SW2 is one of the most-sought Saturns.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #12
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The roof is fiberglass; not sure how it's attached. Fiberglass repair isn't out of the question. Is the damage back on the ribbed part of the roof? If it's on the forward, flat part, it might be a candidate for a sunroof.

A wagon would be a lousy candidate for a dune buggy; '95 SW2 is one of the most-sought Saturns.
I didn't know the roof on that Saturn was fiberglass. You could repair that yourself with a kit and then have "Earl" paint it. Save some money that way. The whole deal could save you hundreds of dollars if you are willing to give it your time. I'd think about it because you could work on it at your own pace. Make it a side project. But if not, Madpogue, what do you think about an asking price, as is?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

There might be a local trade class (community college, high school) that might be looking for a fiber-glass sample to repair and paint.

Generally in those types of situations, you pay for the part/supplies and they provide labor for free, with no warranty as to quality.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
WAB
WAB is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1

Convertable dune buggy FTW
WAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
wei_
wei_ is on a distinguished road

The glass shouldn't cost too much. For the roof, I nominate it for a fixed moonroof.
wei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei_ View Post
For the roof, I nominate it for a fixed moonroof.
Good luck getting that to work, if it's on the ribbed part of the roof.

Hey, that's it! If it's between ribs, put long narrow pieces of fixed glass in each of the flat parts between the ribs. It'll look like one of those cool "futuristic" cross-country passenger train cars from the '50s.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
sw87
sw87 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

Saw the whole roof off and turn it into a convertible
sw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #18
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

do this to the hole - the stickers

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Silver Gray

2001 SL2

Wish I had all you guys nearby to do these interesting things to my SW2!!! It would do my heart good to see it reborn!

I have two regular jobs and no time or desire to work on the car - I would have to take some training before I could even start! I'm a big Saturn fan (even have the Saturn cap!), but I'm just not a mechanic. I'm loving my SL2 now, but feeling unfaithful to my poor old SW2.

To clarify, here are the facts:

THE PROBLEMS:
1. The roof is ridged fiberglass.
2. The whole back part of the headliner was ripped from the ceiling in a big way. (That esp. looks like some complicated, unpleasant work to me.)
3. The big horizontal hole in the roof is just over the rear seat back.
4. The back tailgate window and the side wagon window are completely broken out.
5. The windshield is 99% intact, but it is unfortunately cracked (but still in place) along the right frame.
6. The right outside mirror was also sheered off by a falling branch.
7. The back left passenger window no longer powers down. (At least it has frozen fully rolled up!)
8. The carpets have water stains from the snow and ice that melted inside.

THE POSITIVES:
1. The engine runs fine and starts up immediately.
2. The automatic transmission works fine.
3. The AC/heater works fine. (Though the AC pump has been noisy for years.)
4. The radio and 4 speakers work fine (but the cassette player is unpredictable).
5. The tires still have decent tread.
6. The wheels are all-alloy.
7. The power accessories - steering, brakes, locks, cruise control, outside mirror (the left one), and three windows - all work fine.
8. Body/frame does not appear to have been bent or damaged.

I need to get this wonderful little car to a person who knows and loves what they're doing in repairing or modifying it. I'm thinking about posting it here and on Craigslist for $800 "as is", and just waiting for the right person to come along and give it the love it deserves. That's what I really need to know...is that a fair price, given what I've said above?

Dave
SG
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
woonyboi02895
woonyboi02895 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

pics of car would help
woonyboi02895 is offline   Reply With Quote