SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center

Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Extended Warranty refund? Very hard to get.

I just got bit with an extended warranty from Auto Guard (but not on my Saturn). I purchased the "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. A selling point of the warranty was if I did not use it, I would get a refund of the price of the warranty ($1,600).

Well, my warranty was up in December. I called the number on the front of the contract to start the refund but got nowhere. It turns out that another company covers the refund (Signet Financial Group). Buried in the fine print (last page of the 10 page contract) is a statement that I have to request the refund from Signet within 30 days of the end of the contract by certified mail. I found out this after an Auto Guard rep finally told me they didn't cover the refunds, it was another company. I was at day 60. Even though I called within the 30 day period, they don't talk to Signet.

Bottom line, read the contract. The clause for the refund was buried in the middle of the last page (maybe 4 point font).

I have no recourse, except filing a complaint with the BBB.

The seller of the policy (not a Saturn dealer) did not point this caveat out to me when I purchased my car and policy. In fact, when I called them this week, they were clueless.

I hope all my fellow posters at SaturnFans with an extended contract will look carefully at the verbage. Be very, very careful you do not violate the terms.

Hope this helps someone...
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: Extended Warranty refund? Very hard to get.

I would be writing a strongly worded letter with the threat of a complaint to the BBB. Sometimes that will get companies moving. If they don't act, the complaint is next. They're operating on the slightly shady side, though they have done nothing illegal, but they don't want to get a BBB complaint against them.

I don't trust third party warranty companies to start with. I purchased a GM extended warranty for our VUE. I do have a third party warranty only on the rims and tires for road hazard damage, but so far they have been pretty good to deal with. It was much more hassle because it was third party though - there were about 4 different things I had to fill out, make copies of, and mail in, and then it was about 45 days before I got my refund of repair fees. Luckily the tire shop was more than willing to help - one shop I went to was refusing to lift a finger to help me with the authorizations, so I moved on. I prefer the simplicity of having the dealership take care of all the paperwork for sure!
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

sad that these aftermarket warranties give factory extended a bad name. i hear this stuff all the time
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTchemist View Post
I have no recourse, except filing a complaint with the BBB.

The seller of the policy (not a Saturn dealer) did not point this caveat out to me when I purchased my car and policy. In fact, when I called them this week, they were clueless.
It isn't the dealer's responsibility to tell you what the contract says, it's entirely on your shoulders to READ the contract BEFORE you sign it. Sorry, but the blame for this problem lies squarely on your shoulders, no one elses. Honestly, who signs a contract without knowing what it says??? Rather than accept responsiblity that you were a poor consumer, you're going to complain to the BBB? The company did nothing wrong, they followed the contract to the letter. You were the one who didn't know what it said until it was too late. How long did you carry that paperwork around with you, and you still never read it? Sorry, but I have no sympathy for ignorance.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
It isn't the dealer's responsibility to tell you what the contract says, it's entirely on your shoulders to READ the contract BEFORE you sign it. Sorry, but the blame for this problem lies squarely on your shoulders, no one elses. Honestly, who signs a contract without knowing what it says??? Rather than accept responsiblity that you were a poor consumer, you're going to complain to the BBB? The company did nothing wrong, they followed the contract to the letter. You were the one who didn't know what it said until it was too late. How long did you carry that paperwork around with you, and you still never read it? Sorry, but I have no sympathy for ignorance.
I would say his complaint would be valid against the contract company. He contacted them and they failed to direct him on how to get his refund correctly. This failure was poor customer service and, as I said, while not illegal, is not considered a good business practice.

The company responsible for the refund is not at fault at all in this. I'd say the fault lays with 1. The OP and 2. the service contract company for failing to provide customer service when asked. The service contract company had no reason at all to not give him the directions for the refund immediately. After all, if they can put it in print, then they obviously know the answer and can give it out over the phone.

Unfortunately there is no legal recourse on this - he has a signed contract with this clause in it. But BBB complaints usually are due to poor customer service, so I think that a BBB complaint would be the appropriate action. BBB has the complaint system in place for this purpose. To be a member of the BBB is to be a "better" business after all - and a better business has a high quality level to their customer service, which this company is not displaying at this time by giving him the runaround in the beginning.

The service contract company has the ability to contact the refund company on the OP's behalf to explain the misunderstanding and try to persuade them to issue the refund anyway because he did take the beginning steps to get the refund within the allotted time.
13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
YUP, Squareback. I am a poor customer. I did not read the complete 10 page contact. Neither did the financial officer. She did not countersign the last page that contained the refund verbage. Unfortunately, I signed it without reading the full page.

The purpose of the post was to urge all of us in the Saturn community to look carefully at the verbage in the contract. Especially if it's from Signet FC. More to the point, folks need to read the fine print, and all of it. If not, you'll wind up like me, a poorer customer.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:12 AM   #7
jbracefan1977
jbracefan1977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
I would be writing a strongly worded letter with the threat of a complaint to the BBB. Sometimes that will get companies moving. If they don't act, the complaint is next. They're operating on the slightly shady side, though they have done nothing illegal, but they don't want to get a BBB complaint against them.

I don't trust third party warranty companies to start with. I purchased a GM extended warranty for our VUE. I do have a third party warranty only on the rims and tires for road hazard damage, but so far they have been pretty good to deal with. It was much more hassle because it was third party though - there were about 4 different things I had to fill out, make copies of, and mail in, and then it was about 45 days before I got my refund of repair fees. Luckily the tire shop was more than willing to help - one shop I went to was refusing to lift a finger to help me with the authorizations, so I moved on. I prefer the simplicity of having the dealership take care of all the paperwork for sure!
Very well said..
jbracefan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

finance people at dealers have a so called trainer who is really a rep from aftermarket warranty companies. thjey push hard for you to sell there warrantys instead of the real ones. it actually is bad for the dealers because they dont make any more selling them and customers get upset when they have claims that dont pay. but they get so called free trainigng. i sell 99 percent gmpp and saturn service plans. very little aftermarket aas i hate them
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
VTchemist

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default AutoGuard and Signet refund; be very careful

I just filed a complaint with the BBB in the state the company is located. I did get a letter from Signet Financial Group that they have declined by request for a refund. I missed filing it in the "30-day window" by 32 days. Never mind that I bought the policy in 2001.

I have learned a hard lesson. Never buy a third party warranty. Only buy from the company that makes the car.

If any reader has a policy with AutoGuard, read the fine print. Mine was on page ten, buried in the third paragraph in really tiny font.