SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-28-2022, 12:44 AM   #6921
Gerheardt
Gerheardt is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
Do you have a battery tender connected to the battery? How often/frequently do you start up your Saturn while in storage and if so how long do you let it run?
It changed a lot with the years so...

Winter 2016 to 2017: I simply used the car in winter. Had a rustrpoofing before

Winter 2017 to 2018: Had a rustrpoofing before. No battery tender, battery connected, car started once every week or two, running for 5-10 minutes each time

Winter 2018 to 2019: Had a rustrpoofing before. No battery tender, battery disconnected, car started once a month or barely more often, running for 10-15 minutes

Winter 2020 to 2021: Forgot the rustproofing. No battery tender, battery sleeping in the basement, car started only in spring when i am to use it again for few months

Winter 2021 to 2022: Had a rustrpoofing before. First time being stored at the barn. No battery tender, battery sleeping in the basement, car started once so far and ran for 10-15 minutes. I don't think i will start it again until i want to use her for few months long.

My Tercel is not in a barn but it will probably be stored there next winter with the Saturn. My poor Volvo is still intended to be the winter beater, it's the most resistant to rust car i have and the one with a decent heater in it. The Saturn was not that bad but it's not even comparable!
1995 manual Saturn SL2 320 000kms
1995 automatic Toyota Tercel 28 000kms
2000 automatic Volvo S70 probably more than 400 000kms

Last edited by Gerheardt; 02-28-2022 at 12:49 AM.
Gerheardt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2022, 07:19 AM   #6922
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

got the itch to do struts on janus (one of the rear ones was really starting to wallow around over bumps) and decided to throw the lowering springs i've had sitting around for years on while i was at it. wow, what a difference in ride quality and handling! it rides a lot stiffer and you really feel every bump in the road, not to mention potholes and speed bumps are now poor janus' worst enemy... but i have to say, the way it takes a corner is amazing! not to mention it just plain looks good!
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
janus-2000 sohc2 ~190k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
rip mimas-wrecked 1996 sw1-trailer
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:46 PM   #6923
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

No rattles, good braking-at-speed......Identified another bad front driver’s side wheel bearing. The knuckle bore is too tight for the bearing shell. I have a spare knuckle, but I don’t want to mess with alignment in March. I will put a $5 RA bearing in there and see what happens.
Safety isn’t a problem. In the past, I’ve driven a growling wheel bearing on this car for over 1000 highway miles, until embarrassment made me replace it.

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-31-2022 at 02:52 PM.
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:01 PM   #6924
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletnk View Post
got the itch to do struts on janus (one of the rear ones was really starting to wallow around over bumps) and decided to throw the lowering springs i've had sitting around for years on while i was at it. wow, what a difference in ride quality and handling! it rides a lot stiffer and you really feel every bump in the road, not to mention potholes and speed bumps are now poor janus' worst enemy... but i have to say, the way it takes a corner is amazing! not to mention it just plain looks good!
I have the opposite issue... is my car Janus' evil/crying twin?

I have the H&R Sport springs already on the SL but sometimes the car would make a loud clunking noise in the passenger side rear going over bumps, like it had an anvil in the trunk being thrown around. I also had a small leak in the brake master cylinder for the right rear line. Had to unscrew the nut, pull out the line, cut off the old flare with a dremel tool and reflare the line, the reattach it and tighten the nut.

When it came time to bleed the brakes, I jacked the car up but the right rear tire was still touching the ground. My father-in-law had to get a second jack under the knuckle to jack the wheel up and that's when I discovered that my strut broke. The spring, trailing arm and crossmembers were still holding the wheel in place but the strut became yet another victim of Toronto's potholes.

So the brakes are fine again, but now I'm waiting on some rear struts, bellows and strut mounts from RockAuto so I can correct this.
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #6925
SRGW
Advanced Member
SRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to allSRGW is a name known to all

1997 SL1
Post Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Installed new ignition lock cylinder old one was sticking and 25 years old!!

1995 SL1 236,300 2005>2018
1997 SL1 96,625 2014>????
CHECK YOUR OIL!!
SRGW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:18 PM   #6926
supernad
supernad is on a distinguished road

Replaced the Evap solenoid (and attached hoses). Then installed some junkyard sun visors, and finished up with spraying some Silicon spray around the hinge and push rod to the clutch pedal so it'll stop squeaking when i change gears.

I figured i would make it easy on myself by taking the starter off before doing the evap. still not sure on how i feel about that exhaust manifold stud in the top bolt location, i dont think it's any easier to put the nut on that stud vs installing that top bolt
supernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 01:16 AM   #6927
ultravioletnk

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernad View Post
finished up with spraying some Silicon spray around the hinge and push rod to the clutch pedal so it'll stop squeaking when i change gears.
haha, i've been there, and tried the exact same thing... the squeaking is due to debris in the nylon bushing the pedal pivots on. i was convinced it was the seal around the pushrod on the master cylinder for a couple years (i'm not even kidding) and kept spraying silicone spray on it. the proper fix is to remove the pedal (very easy, just 2 clips and it slides right off) and clean the bushing and the pivot rod it rides on thoroughly, then grease it with some fresh lithium grease. that damn squeak was driving me nuts and i thought the only solution would be to replace the hydraulics, until i realised it was just the bushing and had nothing to do with the hydraulics at all.

i hope the info helps!
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2
Old 04-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #6928
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Replaced a wheel bearing. It lasted January 2019 to April 2022. It looks like corrosion allowing water intrusion although I can’t be sure.
https://imgur.com/a/hoirY3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
..Identified another bad front driver’s side wheel bearing...
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:33 PM   #6929
Goggles Pisano

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
I have the opposite issue... is my car Janus' evil/crying twin?

I have the H&R Sport springs already on the SL but sometimes the car would make a loud clunking noise in the passenger side rear going over bumps, like it had an anvil in the trunk being thrown around. I also had a small leak in the brake master cylinder for the right rear line. Had to unscrew the nut, pull out the line, cut off the old flare with a dremel tool and reflare the line, the reattach it and tighten the nut.

When it came time to bleed the brakes, I jacked the car up but the right rear tire was still touching the ground. My father-in-law had to get a second jack under the knuckle to jack the wheel up and that's when I discovered that my strut broke. The spring, trailing arm and crossmembers were still holding the wheel in place but the strut became yet another victim of Toronto's potholes.

So the brakes are fine again, but now I'm waiting on some rear struts, bellows and strut mounts from RockAuto so I can correct this.
An update:

Ordered parts from RockAuto last Saturday, but used the bill pay option from my bank. This option takes three business days, rather than through a credit card which happens immediately. On top of that, since I ordered this on my in-law's computer, the bank security team didn't recognize the login location and decided to pre-emptively freeze my online banking so that transaction never actually got through. I had to call the bank to straighten it out and I didn't actually get to order until Thursday, but I will get it by Tuesday.

The better news is that taking the assembly revealed that the strut and the spring did NOT break, but the boot and strut mount suffered all the damage. My suspicion is that there is a spot on the Gardiner Expressway ramp towards the Don Valley Parkway where cars at certain velocities will bottom out. I watched a Mercedes C-Class shoot sparks from scraping its exhaust in front of me there. In my case, the strut had punched through the center of the rubber strut mount, leaving the spring to do it's own thing independent of the strut. I may opt to put on those new gas tank straps while I'm down there as well.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:54 AM   #6930
ultravioletnk

1995 SL1
2000 SC2

drove janus down to tucson, az on friday and just got back home. 1600 miles or so round trip, plus ancillary driving around town in tucson, and i burned 1.5 quarts of oil for the whole trip! started in denver with a full sump, topped it up half a quart when i got to az (i checked it multiple times on the way but was impressed how little was burning off), and then when i got back to denver it was at the bottom of the crosshatches. in case anyone is wondering, anywhere in the crosshatched region on the dipstick is safe for the engine but you would like it to be full. i just let it burn off to do a bit of a test and see how much would go within a given distance. i think most of the oil i started with in az went when i got caught up in a freeway sprint with someone in a jeep grand cherokee who wanted to play "chase the rabbit"! mobil 1 0w40 "european car formula" is good stuff, it takes a few changes to really clean out a motor and "settle in" but the oil consumption distinctly reduces when you run a quality (and slightly thicker!) synthetic!

i do think i'm growing weary of having an sohc motor in janus (especially given that it's an sc2), i like the mp2 transmission's tall gears but i would not mind putting a dohc head on that motor. the bottom end is surely in good condition, if it's burning that little oil with 258k miles on the clock! the motor came out of "parts car 1", a tboned 2000 sl1 that had 228k on it. i've since put another 30k on the motor with good synthetic in it and it's running far better than it was the day i bought that parts car! when i got the parts car it was running all right but the oil was quite old and in need of a change, and i always have tended to think of it as a "worn out motor". the drive to and from arizona changed my opinion on that, it may have low compression due to needing a valve job but the bottom end of that engine is in great shape!

i have the dohc head off janus' original motor, and it's in good condition overall so i think i'll try my hand at lapping the valves and put that on the bottom end currently in the car. the original engine had developed a rod knock due to the usual oil starvation from an inattentive owner, then been sold "as-is" (probably after dumping a bottle of stp in the crankcase with a fresh oil change) by mike shaw subaru, a total stealership here in denver, for $2k. that was back in 2014-2015 or so. when that rod knock bit the unfortunate previous owner in the ass, he sold the car to me for $200. the crank and cylinder 2 rod/piston were trashed but otherwise the motor was in pristine shape. just a reminder to check that damn oil because you can ruin a near-perfect engine real fast if it experiences oil starvation.

also, a fun fact... i've had quite a few saturn 1.9s apart (err, like 10) and whenever there's a rod bearing issue it seems to hit cylinder 2. i guess somehow that's the bearing that ends up starved of oil first.
rings-1996 sl2 ~215k mi
phoebe-1995 sl1 ~250k mi
tethys-1994 sw2 ~302k mi
pandora-1999 sc2
dione-1998 sw2
penny [iapetus]-1997 sw2

Last edited by ultravioletnk; 04-11-2022 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #6931
Goggles Pisano

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
An update:

Ordered parts from RockAuto last Saturday, but used the bill pay option from my bank. This option takes three business days, rather than through a credit card which happens immediately. On top of that, since I ordered this on my in-law's computer, the bank security team didn't recognize the login location and decided to pre-emptively freeze my online banking so that transaction never actually got through. I had to call the bank to straighten it out and I didn't actually get to order until Thursday, but I will get it by Tuesday.

The better news is that taking the assembly revealed that the strut and the spring did NOT break, but the boot and strut mount suffered all the damage. My suspicion is that there is a spot on the Gardiner Expressway ramp towards the Don Valley Parkway where cars at certain velocities will bottom out. I watched a Mercedes C-Class shoot sparks from scraping its exhaust in front of me there. In my case, the strut had punched through the center of the rubber strut mount, leaving the spring to do it's own thing independent of the strut. I may opt to put on those new gas tank straps while I'm down there as well.
The final chapter in this trilogy ended last week. The parts showed up last Tuesday and I got to work.

The reason the strut separated from the mount was because when I installed the struts and springs about four years earlier, KYB didn't include the washers in one of the boxes. I called them and the person on the phone told me that it didn't actually need those extra dome washers, that it was a packaging error.

LAZY BUNCH OF EFFIN' LIARS.

Anyways, the strut itself was a bit tired so it was a chance to put on new struts, bellows and mounts with ALL the proper hardware this time. Everything went together pretty well, but getting struts back into the knuckle as well as the mounting holes at the same time is an exercise in near-homocidal frustration. I'm still not sure how I did it, but I think I started with getting the three nuts on the top attached loosely, then using a floor jack under the knuckle to raise it up until it lines up with the lower holes in the strut.

If I thought the rear struts were annoying, then the gas tank straps were going to be an absolute treat. The saving grace is the giant can of PB Blaster that let me actually remove the bolts without stripping or snapping them. The driver's side was frustrating enough, but the passenger side was a near-nightmare, especially with the rear subframe in the way. Getting them broken loose was nerve-wracking, then twisting out the old strap was enervating but putting the bolts back in? Hoo-boy.

I had to first thread the bolt in straight with a ratcheting wrench until it finally started to catch, then use a freakish combination of socket, extension, wobble extension to get the proper angle to tighten it the rest of the way with the impact wrench. I suppose it would be easier if you can loosen the rear subframe bolts, but I don't feel like playing snapped bolt roulette anymore than I have to.

The old rear struts (note the lack of washers):

The old tank straps:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSX_20220417_131546.jpg (224.4 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg PSX_20220417_131613.jpg (158.6 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-25-2022, 11:46 AM   #6932
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

4 new Goodyear Assurance tires, replacing the 9 year old Goodyear Assurance tires on the car. Only $357 on sale at Sam's. (included mounting, balance and taxes).
96 SW2 5MT
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:07 AM   #6933
SW2outoftheblue
SW2outoftheblue is on a distinguished road

Baby's first welding adventure... 😂😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220625_024838.jpg (112.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220623_172059.jpg (182.4 KB, 24 views)
SW2outoftheblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #6934
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW2outoftheblue View Post
Baby's first welding adventure... 😂😂
I'm confused. Why does the bottom look so much different than my SW2?
96 SW2 5MT
Old 06-29-2022, 09:06 PM   #6935
SW2outoftheblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I'm confused. Why does the bottom look so much different than my SW2?
Not sure, but it's a well-beaten 98.

Also it's the MP7 auto, idk if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210906_182531325.MP.jpg (195.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210907_194539236.MP.jpg (210.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by SW2outoftheblue; 06-29-2022 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:50 PM   #6936
SW2outoftheblue

Installed a beats sub from some Chrysler product, probably a Durango. The amp is just some chinesium amp I've had forever.

With that said though, the coils measured at 2 ohms each, so checking the amp specs says it should drive each coil at 350 watts RMS, 700 combined... which I did and it's waaaaay too much boom for such a tiny car hahaha. So I ended up just using one channel anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220708_182326.jpg (142.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220708_182032.jpg (211.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220708_001036.jpg (208.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-10-2022, 08:20 PM   #6937
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

Changed spark plugs.
NGK copper for NGK copper.
Left the wires from the last change alone since it's unnecessary to change the wires as often as the plugs.
Convince me that I'm wrong.
Took a pic of used plugs condition 1-2-3-4 from left to right
76F05337-8E7B-464F-BA8F-49CA664E60C0.jpg
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:47 AM   #6938
SW2outoftheblue

Quote:
Changed spark plugs.
NGK copper for NGK copper.
Left the wires from the last change alone since it's unnecessary to change the wires as often as the plugs.
Convince me that I'm wrong.
Took a pic of used plugs condition 1-2-3-4 from left to right
Attachment 65623
Those are copper!? My copper electrodes were *gone* after 30k, I'll have to see if I can find them in the trash for a picture.

As for the wires, if the rubber is good and it has good continuity, I don't think there's a reason to replace them anyway.
Old 07-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #6939
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

^^^^ I don't really know how long since they were changed last. It feels like it might be as little as 20,000 miles but I will have to check. I use the notes page in my 1997 hardcover owners manual for my records. I should be able to pinpoint the mileage once I look.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #6940
Sid
Advanced Member

1996 SW2

Quote:
^^^^ I don't really know how long since they were changed last. It feels like it might be as little as 20,000 miles but I will have to check. I use the notes page in my 1997 hardcover owners manual for my records. I should be able to pinpoint the mileage once I look.
Mine has always started getting a little rough running at a little over 20k miles with copper plugs (NGK).

----------
Washed my SW2 today. Passed the vehicle inspection earlier in the week. Now it's all ready for the next grocery getter run!
96 SW2 5MT