SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

Default Driver's Side Brake Pic

This may sound like an odd request, but I was wondering if anyone has or can take a pic of the way the brake hose is routed on the driver's side (front) of an S-Series? I have a 1999 model and have been trying to track down a noise from the front wheel area when turning hard in reverse. The bearing and CV joint are fine, as are the pads and rotors. What I did notice was some chaffing on the plastic shield that covers the brake hose. After investigating further, I realized that the tire is actually hitting the hose when the wheel is turned to the all the way to the right.

On the driver's side the "bend" in the hose points to the front of the car, but on the passenger side, the "bend" in the hose is to the rear. Before I got too deep into this, I wanted to see the setup on another S-Series. My Haynes manual does not have such a picture and I could not find one on the web either.

Thanks much!
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Driver's Side Brake Pic

Caliper is spun around the wrong way if the hose is rubbing on the tire; the hose bend goes behind the strut. Need to fix it before you need a brake line
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a manual
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ Are you certain the caliper is spun around? Other than someone putting the wrong caliper on, calipers are right/left designs, the bleeder screws are offset. If I'm not mistaken, bleed screws are usually oriented towards the top. The brake fitting on calipers are more or less in the same position. If someone replaced the driver's side brake hose incorrectly, the hose may kink and rub the tire wall when turning full left or full right. Rubbing against the fender well is another indication of incorrect brake hose routing. The chassis side should have a hose clamp holding the hose in place.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
shortrun
shortrun is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

I grabbed this off youtube, I think it is an S series?
I hope this doesn't break and rules, if it does I'm sorry and will delete it ASAP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s front drivers side.jpg (39.5 KB, 38 views)
shortrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd8 View Post
What I did notice was some chaffing on the plastic shield that covers the brake hose. After investigating further, I realized that the tire is actually hitting the hose when the wheel is turned to the all the way to the right.
See the pics here, and read post 2
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139598
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
todd8

Thanks to all for your help. It is appreciated!!!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Todd,
Check both calipers to ensure they are both the same type, albeit driver & passenger side. I can't believe that you may have 2 different calipers on your car, but stranger things have happened.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #8
todd8

Thanks again to all. I checked things out last night and sure enough, the caliper was spun around the wrong way! I simply turned it, the hose looped towards the back of the car and I reinstalled.

Another issue solved by Saturnfans!