SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

Default Grinding Noise

Hello, I have a 1999 SL2 that has developed a grinding noise in the driver's side front wheel area. It only happens when I am in reverse and turning the wheel hard to the right or left. Quiet as a mouse otherwise. CV Joint, wheel bearing????
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Grinding Noise

You can physically check the outer appearance of the drive shaft by getting underneath and looking for split gaiters and also grabbing the shaft to check for play. However, you can also check wear in the drive shaft CV joints by reversing in a semi circle, one way, then the other way. If you hear a clicking sound as you reverse, that's the CV joint telling you it's worn.

CV joints if left till they fail can fail catastrophically. You do NOT want to happen as that side of the vehicle will collapse as the drive shaft gives way.

A failing wheel bearing can be checked by jacking up that wheel. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and try and rock the wheel vertically. If there is movement, that's a worn wheel bearing. If you grab it at 9 and 3 and rock side to side that's a check for worn tie rod ends. A worn wheel bearing will also 'growl' as the wheel rotates. You could try and rotate the wheel by hand when jacked up and the car in neutral or you could drive the car, drop the car into neutral and coast. If the sound is still there, that's bearings as the drive shafts won't be turning.

One other thing to remember is that drive shafts and wheel bearings are ultimately going round in pairs with the opposite side of the car, so both sides are theoretically wearing at the same rate. There is a school of thought which recommends changing both sides (whether the culprit is the drive shaft or the wheel bearing) if one side is worn as the other side can't be far behind. But in saying that I am mindful of people's budgets.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

I thank you for the response and will check both the bearing and the shaft as you suggested.

Have a great day!
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Thanks for the post.
Bookmarked for me to check soon.
I read, I learn, I try!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

"CV joints if left till they fail can fail catastrophically. You do NOT want to happen as that side of the vehicle will collapse as the drive shaft gives way." ???
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TvSteve View Post
"CV joints if left till they fail can fail catastrophically. You do NOT want to happen as that side of the vehicle will collapse as the drive shaft gives way." ???
Steve,
Only last week I saw a Honda Accord leaning drunkenly to the right having just turned right out of a local strip mall. His drive coupling had failed. The wheel/tire was stuck out an odd angle like folk who break their leg badly.
3 weeks earlier same thing, but a FWD Caddy this time on the side of the main road. His had given up while driving.
That's what happens when drive joints fail catastrophically. The driver was just making a slow right turn. imagine that happening on the Interstate?
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote