SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
todd8
todd8 has a spectacular aura abouttodd8 has a spectacular aura about

Default Squeek Squeek Squeek Goes the rear Wheel

Ok, another question. My 2004 V6 Vue has developed an annoying squeek, squeek, squeek noise from the rear passenger wheel. It increases and decreases with the speed of the vehicle, and is most noticeable when 45 MPH or greater. I just replaced the rear shoes, as they were worn, but the noise is still there.

Anyone vote for a rear wheel bearing on its way out?

No grinding noise, just the squeek. I checked the hub for play and really could not find any, but I have heard that bearing play is not always evident. Also, this is an AWD vehicle, but there does not appear to be any issues with the AWD differential - fluid was changed earlier this year.
todd8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Squeek Squeek Squeek Goes the rear Wheel

Todd ... a few disjointed thoughts:

Must be helluva squeak if you can pin on left rear wheel.

If you can hear at low speeds ... is it there:

when coasting in gear?
when coasting out of gear?
during turns?
with brake pedal slightly depressed?
moving in reverse?

Did you check suspension related hardware for presence (missing bolts) and tightness?

Can you bounce the back of the Vue to see if noise is there?

You may want to look at the AWD prop-shaft center support bearing - check for deteriorated rubber around the bearing.

As a last resort I'd put the little guy on jackstands to try to better localize the noise.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
todd8

Hey Grumpy - I knew you'd reply. I checked things out again and here is some additional information.

I really don't hear any noise when coasting or driving at low speeds, noise seems to appear at around 40 to 45 mph.

At speeds listed above and higher, the noise is present when coasting in gear and in neutral, and seems to get faster as the speed of the vehicle increases. It seems to go away when the brake pedal is pushed, but remains when turning to the left and right. Also, turning does not change the intensity of the squeeking, it only seems affected by the speed of the vehicle.

I checked the prop shaft bearing and it seems fine.

I did notice that the rubber suspension spring on the rear passenger side is torn, and not providing a cushion around the circumfrence of the top of the spring, and I will be replacing this. Consequently, I didn;t think that a noise caused by this would increase\decrease with speed.

What do you think? Again I will be replacing this before doing anything else, but still could use some more feed back.

Thanks,

Todd
Old 12-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

It is not impossible for a bad hub bearing to squeak. My first thought is something in the drum brake causing it. A mechanic would use a stethoscope to listen to the hub while having the wheel turned to see if noises from a bad bearing could be detected. They are usually manifested by 'clicking' in this low speed unloaded test. Just get under there and take a good look to see if possibly something was picked up off the road and got jammed somehow.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Really strange ...

I'd think if a wheel bearing or drive-axle joint was causing the squeak the noise would change while turning.

I'm with you in thinking the rear spring bushing is a non-player.

Lack of noise while braking is some sort of clue ... I'd think one of the shoe's could be dragging against the drum - except you say the noise was there before brakes were reworked.

The service manual has one "hit" for rear squeak noises. They indicate a "dry" rear prop-shaft U-joint might squeak. I've attached that file, as well as another explaining why squeaks happen (good for a laugh).

Its a stretch to see how slight braking would affect the U-joint but I suppose prop-shaft and RDM relationship is changed when brakes are applied.

BTW ... one of our UK friends recently emailed a link for a U.S. vendor who stocks the center support bearing and U-joint assembly. The prices are very attractive. You can check them here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6511&viewitem=

Note: I just realize this vendor is located in my hometown. I pledge I don't know them, nor have I dealt with them, but I'm very tempted to pick up a bearing and U-joint just in case.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Rear U-Joint Squeak.pdf (21.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Squeak Causes.pdf (22.4 KB, 13 views)
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
todd8

Gene,

Thanks for leading me to check the universal joints, I think you may have found the culprit. I had hoped to find a greasable u-joint, but unfortunately, there is no zerk fitting. In any case, the rear u-joint looks like it has seen better days, and actually is in the right area for the squeek. I assumed it was the passenger side rear wheel, as the squeek was coming from over my right shoulder, to the rear of the car (when sitting in the drivers seat). This is exactly where the rear differential is located.

I have ordered two u-joints - figured I mind as well take care of both while I'm at it.

Thanks again for all of your help, I'll let you know how things work out.

Merry Christmas!

Todd
Old 12-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

It might be the drive shaft U-joint, but remember that turns more than 3x faster than the wheels. You were (I thought) implying a wheel-speed noise. At 45 mph, this would be so fast it would be almost a continuous sound. For example, an imbalance in the shaft ass'y is felt as a 'buzz' at road speed rather than a 'shake' that would be associated with a wheel problem.
Whatever, hope you get to the bottom of it. Sometimes I over-think things, but that's all I can do from here.
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
todd8

Well after many hours under this VUE, I finally discovered the source of the SQUEEK - and the worst part is it seems to have been my doing. Back in the fall, I replaced the RDM fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax, trying to save a few bucks. Not that I look back, the squeek\chirp did not start until after this fluid change. Anyway, I looked at everything from wheel bearings to u joints, even the fuel pump, to no avail. I finally had my wife drive the car, while I rode in the cargo area, and noticed that the sound was not coming from the wheel, but right in the middle of the car, over the RDM!

I drained the Royal Purple, added the Versatrak Fluid, and viola! The noise is gone.

So, if anyone is hearing, what sounds like a nest of baby birds chirping in the back of your car, and you tried to go on the cheap using Royal Purple, change it out for Versatrak - you'll be glad you did!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
OttawaAWDriver
OttawaAWDriver will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd8 View Post
Well after many hours under this VUE, I finally discovered the source of the SQUEEK - and the worst part is it seems to have been my doing. Back in the fall, I replaced the RDM fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax, trying to save a few bucks. Not that I look back, the squeek\chirp did not start until after this fluid change. Anyway, I looked at everything from wheel bearings to u joints, even the fuel pump, to no avail. I finally had my wife drive the car, while I rode in the cargo area, and noticed that the sound was not coming from the wheel, but right in the middle of the car, over the RDM!

I drained the Royal Purple, added the Versatrak Fluid, and viola! The noise is gone.

So, if anyone is hearing, what sounds like a nest of baby birds chirping in the back of your car, and you tried to go on the cheap using Royal Purple, change it out for Versatrak - you'll be glad you did!
I have this EXACT same sounding squeak you are talking about. The 04 AWD V6 Vue had it's versatrak fluid changed at 70K miles. I'm at 141K miles now. I think it's time to ride in the back of the cargo space for a few miles and see if it's the same. It's driving me NUTS!!!

I DO notice that in the severe Ontario cold, at about -10f and below, the squeak goes away. But otherwise, mine is PRECISELY what you have explained. I'm so excited to fix it. HAHAHA
OttawaAWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote