SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
blvdcruiser
blvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the rough

Default Ion electrical power steering torque sensor relearn with tech 2

I have a 2004 ion. I have owned since 2014. During that time the steering has always bugged me. The assist feels weaker when turning right. The car also pulls to the right. No alignment shop could fix it. I have a clone tech 2 scanner so I decided to put it on tonight. I went into chassis and looked at the eps live data. With my hands off the wheel the force sensor reads .81 ft pounds and the computer asks for assist in that direction and outputs amperage to the motor. If i hold the wheel so the force sensor reads zero the motor current ask amperage and actual amperage go to zero. I want to zero the sensor. I can find no option for a relearn or calibrate. How is this done? Anyone have access to gm tech?
blvdcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2021, 01:09 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Ion electrical power steering torque sensor relearn with tech 2

I don't have eps on my L300 but went thru the menu in my VCX NANO. Unfortunately, when attempting to see screen data when selecting chassis and eps data, I'm kicked out due to zero connection to a vehicle with eps.

Did you try googling GM eps calibration for a list to review more info on eps testing and any maintenance that can be done by diyers with or without GMs Tech II?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
blvdcruiser
blvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the roughblvdcruiser is a jewel in the rough

cant seem to find anything googling except for a few videos of people filming the steering wheel turning by its self. An interesting test would be to disconnect the intermediate shaft and start the car and see if the steering wheel moves by itself. I drove the car around today with the tech 2 hooked up and the live data on. I can definitely see the module thinks there is a load on the steering wheel turning right with your hands off. to correct the car and keep it pointing straight the load cell reads just about zero and no assist. I see 2 people on you tube replaced the steering column complete with the module. Is the ESC module coded to the VIN? or can it be swapped out. It looks like my load cell is faulty. from what i see the load sensor is not replaceable and the column unit must be replaced. It makes sense that there is no calibration procedure since this is a load sensor only not a angle sensor.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some background info;

Straightening out GM electric power steering - https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/s...power-steering

EPS: Zeroing vs. Recalibration - https://www.gminsidenews.com/threads...bration.87143/

Steering Angle Sensor Calibration - https://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/...r-calibration/

Making sense of sensors: steering angle sensor - https://www.delphiautoparts.com/usa/...g-angle-sensor

Ready. Reset. Go. Steering Angle Sensor Calibration. https://www.delphiautoparts.com/gbr/...or-calibration

General Motors Electric Power Steering (EPS) - https://evwest.com/support/General%2...20Steering.pdf

If my car has eps and problems occurred, there should be an error code for guidance. Error codes may not appear in generic readers where manufacturer's specific error codes are decoded by each manufacturer or aftermarket scantool. Does your Tech II display any error codes? Service manuals are best for info otherwise alldata or Mitchell online for service manual info. Without manuals, the brief list from a google search is another way to acquire info. GM is of course another consideration as well as a good repair shop.

Electronic power steering expertise in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairs may lag in diy info.
VCX NANO
Old 06-23-2021, 09:50 AM   #5
blvdcruiser

thanks fdryer for the links. I have a gut feeling since big daddy gm didn't put anything in the tech 2 menus to zero the torque sensor its not a calibrated deal. The local wrecker has a low mileage column for 50 bucks. I might pick it up this weekend and do some testing.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
blvdcruiser

No codes. there has never been any codes in my history with the car. I have never got the power steering message in the cluster. In 2015 i had the recall done for the electric motor and also the ignition switch and lock cylinder recall. When it was in for the recall i complained about the steering feel. I asked if there was a update they could do to the software. He just looked at me funny. When i got the car back it felt the same. I always seem to be disappointed by dealers.
Old 06-27-2021, 10:53 PM   #7
blvdcruiser

So I bought the 50 dollar column from the jy. Today I unhooked the intermediate shaft and started the car. Sure enough the wheel turns to the right on its own. I pulled the column and installed the jy one. There are vids on youtube for this. With the jy column hooked up I used the tech 2 to check the data from the eps module. With no load the torque was 0.3 ftlbs and the module was not commanding assist. Roadtesting was great. After 7 years of ownership the car does not pull or dart anymore. It finally goes straight. No programming was nessary. I did swap the lock mechanism over so the old key and passlock would work. I used a automatic center punch to shock the security bolts out.
Old 06-28-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a member, you may be the first to post eps problems with a solution. Having above average skills and a scantool to see and interpret data helps with an electronic problem. Although alignment shops may not be required to discuss anything outside physical alignment, I'm not surprised anyone from these shops even ventured a guess by suggesting the eps may be the cause. If this were the case, pointing the finger elsewhere beyond alignment might have helped you determine sooner than later on which way to proceed.
VCX NANO
Old 06-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdcruiser View Post
So I bought the 50 dollar column from the jy. Today I unhooked the intermediate shaft and started the car. Sure enough the wheel turns to the right on its own. I pulled the column and installed the jy one. There are vids on youtube for this. With the jy column hooked up I used the tech 2 to check the data from the eps module. With no load the torque was 0.3 ftlbs and the module was not commanding assist. Roadtesting was great. After 7 years of ownership the car does not pull or dart anymore. It finally goes straight. No programming was nessary. I did swap the lock mechanism over so the old key and passlock would work. I used a automatic center punch to shock the security bolts out.
There was a recall for the electric power steering motor a while back, about 7 years ago to be exact (link here). I'd go to nhtsa.gov and enter your VIN to see if you have any outstanding recalls. The linked recall is applicable to your car. If you go to nhtsa.gov and don't see it listed, it's already been done.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 203K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 68K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 06-28-2021 at 07:46 PM.
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote