saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 08-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
saturn95
saturn95 has a spectacular aura aboutsaturn95 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default New Alternator - No Output, "Turn On Signal" present

Hi guys, I recently replaced the alternator and battery on my 06 Saturn VUE V6 150K because I measured the voltage and it was very low. After driving for a few minutes with new reman alternator, I realized that the alternator was still not putting out any voltage.

These are the things I am seeing:
1. Voltage at the alternator post is batt voltage (11.X volts) so fuselink and/or wiring should be ok. Alternator without starter wire hooked up, measures 0.3V output with respect to batt neg.
2. The alternator has a green connector (attached) that has two wires.
I tested the WH/RD wire and it measured about 5V at the connector and also a couple feet from the harness in case a wire got damaged during the installation.
I also tested the WH/BU wire (turn on signal) and it measured 10.X V. I am a little confused by this because I would have thought that this should have read 5 V to turn on the alternator. Post below agrees with my findings though.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211066

What are your thoughts on this, bad new alternator? Am I missing something? I really do not want to go through the work of putting in another junkie alternator and rather go with OEM, but I am not sure if they are willing to give me my money back at the auto part store.
Attached Images
File Type: png Circuit.PNG (53.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: png generator.PNG (57.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by saturn95; 08-22-2021 at 04:40 PM. Reason: missing info
saturn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: New Alternator - No Output, "Turn On Signal" present

*Bring the new alternator back to the store for testing. That way, they can check whether or not its in operating condition or not and replace it immediately if it was just purchased.

*Get in touch with the member via private messaging and see if he measured pinouts on the second replacement that works.

You may have to search for functional descriptions of Vue alternators, preferably from someone able to describe service manual descriptions and not from hearsay. Perhaps GMs website has descriptions on this type of circuit.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

One of my family member has a Vue with the same engine and I just finished checking it.

WH/RD was 3.444 volts and 198.4 Hz.
WH/BU was around 10V so the readings seem similar, at least the wire that matters which is the Turn On Signal.

If I am understanding this right, I guess I need remove the alternator again.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Were you aware of the weakness of the alternator side terminal when connecting the fusible link wire? Because it's the only battery connection to the alternator with circuitry grounding thru its frame to the engine block providing ground, the side terminal is mounted with semi hard insulators for short circuit protection. However, this also means a double nut on this terminal. Overtightening the top nut without a second wrench on the bottom nut may wind up twisting the post and breaking internal wiring to this terminal. This renders the alternator dead immediately.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:35 PM   #5
saturn95

2001 SL2
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Hi guys,

Yes I was really careful when tightening the Terminal, I am pretty sure this was not the case.

I took the alternator back and it was tested twice and PASSED. They guy ended up giving me another alternator to try. Luckily the second alternator worked. so far so good.

Must be related to the circuitry that enables the alternator.

Thanks everyone for the help and this proves once again that even a "good" alternator might not work on these VUEs, better to stick to OEM especially after the work involved.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm glad this worked out with a free replacement even when the store says your new alternator passed bench tests. I can understand your frustration especially if the alternator is in a hard to reach place.