SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 07-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
susanoo
susanoo is on a distinguished road

Default Surprise, RDM issues, need input

SO, i've seen all over the internet and here, RDM issues are common. 2004 Saturn Vue, 200K miles, V6 and AWD of course. Rear end started grinding after driving for about half an hour, banged and clapped when backing up. Terrible description of what it did, just not sure how to word it, its like something was freezing up and sticking while being forced to move. Anyway, I looked around online and a lot of things said the Equinox used the same setup in a certain year range so I went to a yard and pulled one from an 05 Equinox, everything external was exactly the same and it bolted up fine. Go to drive it around and its even worse than the one I pulled out. Defeated, I set it aside for a while. A couple weeks later, I drove it around in the backyard, just doing circles and ignoring the grinding and growling and suddenly it got a little quieter but didnt go away and it still sent some fairly rough vibrations through the car. Enough to make the rear view mirror point at the center console. I set it aside again, sat for about a week. Now today, started comparing numbers on the two assemblies with my neighbor. On the center section, there are 4 rows of numbers. Most are fairly similar, theres a date stamped into it on the last line and then "2.2" on one, and "3.3" on the one that originally came out of it. My neighbor, a HD truck mechanic, thinks that the 2.2 and 3.3 means the gear ratio and that the wheels in the front are not matching speed in the back? I dont know a lot about AWD. Anyone that could shed some light on this, I would appreciate.

OH, and for the sake of details, the one I pulled out, the passenger side axle/diff bearing was chewed up REAL good. driver side bearing was still beautiful.
susanoo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: Surprise, RDM issues, need input

You removed rdm and put one back? I think you should take it out again and see what happens.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
susanoo
susanoo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Surprise, RDM issues, need input

I mean I know 100% its the RDM....done all sorts of tests, no sounds at all with it off the ground but thats also no load to speak of.

Doesnt really answer my question either.
susanoo is offline   Reply With Quote