SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

hello my transmission kicks when I want to accelerate from 40km / h (25 mph) thank you
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: san diego
Posts: 4,355

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

ever have it serviced?
MIles total?
WHen last serviced?
...
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
ever have it serviced?
MIles total?
WHen last serviced?
125 000 km I changed the transmission oil recently but it did not change anything
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
leftoverture
Junior Member
leftoverture is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Probably nothing major, but you will likely need to take it to a shop and have it properly diagnosed. Please give the shop a more detailed description than you posted here. The more info they have the better they can help you.
leftoverture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

I guess I would need a better explanation than just "my transmission kicks". You have the 4T45E transmission. If you are flooring the accelerator, it is probably just kicking down into first gear. I would consider a sudden "kick" to be normal operation when shifting down into 1st at 25 MPH.
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I guess I would need a better explanation than just "my transmission kicks". You have the 4T45E transmission. If you are flooring the accelerator, it is probably just kicking down into first gear. I would consider a sudden "kick" to be normal operation when shifting down into 1st at 25 MPH.
I do not think this is a normal problem because it always does when I accelerate between 40-60 km/h (25-35 mph) speed it "kicks" on when the engine is hot when the engine is cold it does not
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
I do not think this is a normal problem because it always does when I accelerate between 40-60 km/h (25-35 mph) speed it "kicks" on when the engine is hot when the engine is cold it does not
On many vehicles, when the engine is cold the (automatic) transmission is not allowed to downshift into 1st gear if the resulting engine RPM will exceed a predetermined threshold. Likewise the maximum engine RPM allowed for upshifting is reduced when the engine is cold. This safeguard is intended to prevent damage to the transmission due to the transmission fluid being thicker during colder temps. The fluid thins out after being warmed up, which allows the transmission to function as intended.

So, again, unless the kick is "someone kicked me in the butt with with a steel-toed boot" bad I believe this is normal behavior.
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
On many vehicles, when the engine is cold the (automatic) transmission is not allowed to downshift into 1st gear if the resulting engine RPM will exceed a predetermined threshold. Likewise the maximum engine RPM allowed for upshifting is reduced when the engine is cold. This safeguard is intended to prevent damage to the transmission due to the transmission fluid being thicker during colder temps. The fluid thins out after being warmed up, which allows the transmission to function as intended.

So, again, unless the kick is "someone kicked me in the butt with with a steel-toed boot" bad I believe this is normal behavior.
rpm rises sharply in 3000 and down to 2000 so its not normal haha
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: san diego
Posts: 4,355

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
rpm rises sharply in 3000 and down to 2000 so its not normal haha
Oh my gawd, 3000 rpm will tear the engine asunder, NOT.

I routinely hit 5000 rpm and more with my 4 banger.

See that tachometer goes up past 6000 rpm?

Blow the cobwebs out of your engine, ya weenie

But check and adjust your oil level first, if needed




NOw, I must backtrack and quiz you:

When it drops down a gear( into low 1) and the revs rise, but then something "catches" in the trans and the RPM's quickly drop?- sounds like what you're telling us. This causes the car to lurch( accelerate) but are you keeping the accelerator down or letting off?


What happens if you keep it floored?
...
'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
rpm rises sharply in 3000 and down to 2000 so its not normal haha
35 MPH would put you at roughly 6200 RPM in 1st gear, 3400 RPM in 2nd, and 2100 RPM in 3rd so that sounds about right mathematically.

How many miles are on the car? Have you ever changed the fluid & filter?
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #11
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
35 MPH would put you at roughly 6200 RPM in 1st gear, 3400 RPM in 2nd, and 2100 RPM in 3rd so that sounds about right mathematically.

How many miles are on the car? Have you ever changed the fluid & filter?
yes I changed oil & 125 000 km
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
yes I changed oil & 125 000 km
I'd take the car to a transmission shop and see what they have to say. The 4T45E is as reliable as it gets as far as automatic transmissions go, so it shouldn't be anything too major.
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I'd take the car to a transmission shop and see what they have to say. The 4T45E is as reliable as it gets as far as automatic transmissions go, so it shouldn't be anything too major.
thank you very much for your advice & this transmission is really reliable? I was told that an update can solve the problem
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #14
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
thank you very much for your advice & this transmission is really reliable? I was told that an update can solve the problem
I found a couple TSBs regarding a recalibration of the ECM/TCM. One doesn't shed much light on the condition it is supposed to address, while the other says it is supposed to address "complaints about drivability, particularly hesitation and shift busyness". The VIN range specified in the latter TSB is 8F100001 to 8F110074. It does not specify if this is for the 4-speed auto (which you have) or the 6-speed auto found on the V6 XR.
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I found a couple TSBs regarding a recalibration of the ECM/TCM. One doesn't shed much light on the condition it is supposed to address, while the other says it is supposed to address "complaints about drivability, particularly hesitation and shift busyness". The VIN range specified in the latter TSB is 8F100001 to 8F110074. It does not specify if this is for the 4-speed auto (which you have) or the 6-speed auto found on the V6 XR.
you can send me the link to the site you find?
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #16
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 3,110
 
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
you can send me the link to the site you find?
I found it on an online database that I have access to. The general public does not have access to it. I have attached a PDF of the TSB.

transmission-software-and-calibration-update-07235a-09-21-2007-.pdf
...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 205K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 74K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:06 PM   #17
rept
Junior Member
rept is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I found it on an online database that I have access to. The general public does not have access to it. I have attached a PDF of the TSB.

Attachment 40427
perfect thank you, I'll give you new
rept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #18
Jojabe
New Member
Jojabe is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Question Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rept View Post
hello my transmission kicks when I want to accelerate from 40km / h (25 mph) thank you
•••••••Help!!!! I have flushed the tranny thinking that coolant got in the fluid when I paid my ex to change it. I know the filter has to be changed now. I thought I found the tranny pan in front of the car right behind the radiator in front of and a bit below the fill port for tranny. If this is the pan, which I am now questioning hours of work just to remove the bolts then how do I remove the sensor attached to the front of the pan? If not then what am I trying to remove?I am too new to post my own thread. Smh, I really need help.
Jojabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #19
Jojabe
New Member
Jojabe is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 9
Question Re: saturn aura xe 2008 2,4L transmission problem need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I guess I would need a better explanation than just "my transmission kicks". You have the 4T45E transmission. If you are flooring the accelerator, it is probably just kicking down into first gear. I would consider a sudden "kick" to be normal operation when shifting down into 1st at 25 MPH.
How did you determine what transmission she has? I have a 2009
Aura xe 2.4L 4 cyl vin #1G8ZS57B49F147383
Jojabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuild transmission 2008 Aura XR ericrcan Aura General 2 10-06-2014 12:37 PM
saturn aura 2.4 2008 transmission rept Aura General 0 09-28-2014 12:22 PM
Aura XE 2008 LE$ power steering problem. marginal Aura General 22 12-10-2013 07:07 PM
2008 Aura XE hesitating after transmission service, could they have broken something? Humy Aura General 7 03-10-2013 07:33 PM
2008 aura 3.5v6 transmission shudder? :) bue05 Aura General 10 06-14-2009 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.