SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Cindy17932
Cindy17932 is on a distinguished road

Default Please Help! 03 Vue Stalling Issue

I have an 03 Vue 4 cyl 5 speed with 140,000 that I just bought from a used car dealer who refuses to fix my car properly. The car starts and immediately stalls(security light blinks) unless I give it gas, or turn the key forward to run until everything stops chiming and blinking (about 10 seconds)and then start it.. It's throwng a code p1599 for stall history. My ignition is also screwy and I have to wiggle the key and steering wheel together to make the key turn. Which after reading here in the forum that chances are the ingnition cylinder need to be replaced. I tried explaining this to the dealer where I got it from and he said definately not. And insisted it was the throttle body. He " cleaned" it off expecting a miracle. And it obviously made no difference. And they sent me home (an hour and 20 min) with no results. Now telling me untill I get a rejection sticker, they won't fix it. So at this point trying to avoid drama with the dealer, I would rather just get the parts and have my dad put it in. Just want to be sure that this is my problem. Is it the cylinder or the switch? Does it come with a new key?
Cindy17932 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Please Help! 03 Vue Stalling Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy17932 View Post
I have an 03 Vue 4 cyl 5 speed with 140,000 that I just bought from a used car dealer who refuses to fix my car properly. The car starts and immediately stalls(security light blinks) unless I give it gas, or turn the key forward to run until everything stops chiming and blinking (about 10 seconds)and then start it.. It's throwng a code p1599 for stall history. My ignition is also screwy and I have to wiggle the key and steering wheel together to make the key turn. Which after reading here in the forum that chances are the ignition cylinder need to be replaced. I tried explaining this to the dealer where I got it from and he said definately not. And insisted it was the throttle body. He " cleaned" it off expecting a miracle. And it obviously made no difference. And they sent me home (an hour and 20 min) with no results. Now telling me untill I get a rejection sticker, they won't fix it. So at this point trying to avoid drama with the dealer, I would rather just get the parts and have my dad put it in. Just want to be sure that this is my problem. Is it the cylinder or the switch? Does it come with a new key?
Cindy - just to be clear - two quick questions.

1. Does the Vue always start OK if you advance key to RUN/ON and leave it there for 10 seconds - before advancing to START/CRANK?

2. Once engine is running - has the Vue stalled at any point?

The first step toward a successful start is the key should turn smoothly in the ignition - especially when advancing to START/CRANK detent - the last movement is when the PASSLOCK module decides to send a signal to BCM saying all is well.

The ignition is made up of cylinder (rotates), cylinder housing (with embedded PASSLOCK module) and the ignition switch which is attached to back side of the cylinder housing.

You could have a worn cylinder or a worn key but it might be worthwhile to contact a local GM dealer to see if they'll "cut" you a new key using VIN.

You could also call a local locksmith as many can repair a bad cylinder or make keys to save you a few dollars.

I'll research your code to see whats with that.
I visit forum monthly, if at all. Feel free to send private messages if you think I can help. Don't use visitor message as I never check those.
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Cindy17932
Cindy17932 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Please Help! 03 Vue Stalling Issue

The car starts every time if I turn the key forward for 10 seconds or so first. And stays running with no issues and drives great. I already had another key made at GM, hoping the inexpensive route would work. No difference. I can also remove the key while the engine is running. Which also leads me to believe its the ignition. It's also showing p0600 which I believe had something to do with the ECM. IF I was confidant in the dealership I bought it from to fix it, I would just let it get a rejection sticker and have them fix it. But my fear is that once they replace the throttle body and realize they're wrong, they will not want to fix anything else and offer me my money back. If they offer me my money back and I don't accept it, they are no longer responsible to repair it. So instead of dealing with slimeballs, and having to argue with them, I'm hoping the ignition issue will allow it to pass inspection.
Cindy17932 is offline   Reply With Quote