SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 AM   #1
justin3
justin3 is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 l300

Hey all.

I was searching online to try and find some info/help with my girlfriends ls300 6cyl

just got inspected, and got everything done for inspection, but upon driving it a few days later, had a horrible lack of power/cylinder misfire?

my brother is a mechanic, im not a mechanic, but am fairly mechanically inclined.

the car was running terribly, wouldnt rev past 4k rpm, and had no power. it didnt trip the ses light full time, but it flashed twice.
he took the car to the shop he works at and hooked up the scanner....

he got
po300 random misfire
po306 cyl 6 misfire
po402 excessive egr flow

after i got the car back, and took it home, the ses light popped on and stayed on.

about 6 weeks ago my girlfriend was complaining of a similar problem and i had another mechanic friend throw it on the scanner, and it had a cylinder misfire then as well. i dont recall which cylinder it was exactly, but it was in the front....either 2, 4 or 6. i replaced the spark plugs and had no further problems until yesterday.

does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

my guesses
1. possibly the front coil pack going bad
2. egr. i dont know how the egr works exactly, but could improper function lead to buildup of gases, causing a lack of 02 and the cylinder not firing correctly?

past that i have no clue, and my brother is in the dark as well. if anyone could give some help or suggestions i would be eternally grateful.

oh...one more thing to add....the bcm is shot, which i just found out after researching the odometer problems.....i am 99% certain that this can have no effect on my current problems, but can someone verify this for me? i just want to be sure.

thanks

justin
justin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 l300

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin3 View Post
......the car was running terribly, wouldnt rev past 4k rpm, and had no power...po300 random misfire
po306 cyl 6 misfire
po402 excessive egr flow
...... i replaced the spark plugs and had no further problems until yesterday.
does anyone have any ideas what this could be?
my guesses
1. possibly the front coil pack going bad
2. egr. i dont know how the egr works exactly, but could improper function lead to buildup of gases, causing a lack of 02 and the cylinder not firing correctly?
past that i have no clue, and my brother is in the dark as well. if anyone could give some help or suggestions i would be eternally grateful.
oh...one more thing to add....the bcm is shot, which i just found out after researching the odometer problems.....i am 99% certain that this can have no effect on my current problems, but can someone verify this for me? i just want to be sure.thanks justin
1-Rev limiter in neutral to prevent inadvertently blowing up engines - revving engines not recommended unless you have unlimited $$$ and its a NASCAR motor or F1 engine. My guess is that too many fools ruined an engine and the engine folks asked the fuel injection guys to write up a computer program that automatically detects what is now known as rev limits while in neutral gear. Read the complaints in the S-series forums that this rev limiting does to maximum speed limits. GM aka Big Brother looking down/frowning on those still having the need for speed on open roads; head-on sudden stops from 120-0 mph is the same as 60-0 mph in my opinion but opinions don't matter as programmed rev limiting is here to stay. For now the speed (progammed) limits seem to be hovering somewhere around 120, give or take 10. This can change too for better or worse depending on one's viewpoint.
2-P0300 & P0306 for cyl 6 misfire is suggesting the coil pack is faulty but specifically cyl #6. Unless you can diagnose and repair the individual circuit coil assembly perhaps a coil pack from a junk yard will be cheaper for replacement.
3-The EGR valve; cleaning with carb cleaner and stiff brush may restore its functional use as the shaft must move freely. Its an expensive item worth cleaning before replacement. The EGR valve's sole duty is to operate above idle speeds for emission purposes and to cool the combustion by allowing exhaust gas into the intake manifold. It should be closed/off at idle but if the pintle valve were to stick open it will cause engine roughness and stalling tendencies. Check the similar threads at the bottom of your post, some may pertain to your EGR valve problem.
4-BCM failures are described in other threads, look for them, and you're right that it doesn't affect or cause the misfiring condition.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
justin3
justin3 is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info so far. i wasnt actually talking about revving in neutral, im talking about in gear and driving, 4k rpms seems to be the limit, i am assuming its imposed by the ecm because #6 cyl cant keep up. there is still a lack of power between 2k and 4k.

again thanks for the help so far..
justin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Clean the EGR valve first. The EGR can cause the misfire codes.
Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote