SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
NVMY03GT
NVMY03GT is on a distinguished road

Default Next Steps?

Alright so now I am just well beyond pissed. This weekend I took off my tensioner and replaced it. About 3 hours worth of work right? Well not the problem. I got it all back together - fire'd it up. The noise just reappeared. Someone had mentioned a mount below the tranmission is rattling against something? I don't know I don't know where to go from here. When the belt is OFF the car the noise isn't there. When the car is in gear (Reverse or Drive) it's like Metal against metal.

Ideas?

Please help Im literally going to kick a hole in this car
Be nice to me - Im still Learning

2003 Saturn Ion 3
NVMY03GT is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 PM   #2
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Next Steps?

have you changed the idler pulley itself?
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #3
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Does your a/c work?
If it does,turn it on and see if the noise changes.
Want more gun control? Then use both hands.
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

When you had the belt off, did you take the time to spin all the other pulleys (A/C, water pump, idler, P/S, alternator), and listen/feel/look for noise, roughness, looseness, etc?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #5
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
When you had the belt off, did you take the time to spin all the other pulleys (A/C, water pump, idler, P/S, alternator), and listen/feel/look for noise, roughness, looseness, etc?
Idler Pulley - tested - no noise. Didn't spin the other ones because they aren't as easy to spin free based I moved the power steering and again no noise.

Idler pulley was free spinning no issues.

A/C Doesn't work right now.

2003 Saturn Ion 3
Old 03-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #6
mkuz13
Advanced Member
mkuz13 is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVMY03GT View Post
Idler Pulley - tested - no noise. Didn't spin the other ones because they aren't as easy to spin free based I moved the power steering and again no noise.

Idler pulley was free spinning no issues.

A/C Doesn't work right now.
Best investment is go to the auto parts store and purchase a automotive stethoscope.Then you can pin-point where the sound is comming from.
Note-if you do buy a automotive stethoscope,make sure you dont put the tip on any moving parts.
Want more gun control? Then use both hands.
mkuz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #7
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkuz13 View Post
Best investment is go to the auto parts store and purchase a automotive stethoscope.Then you can pin-point where the sound is comming from.
Note-if you do buy a automotive stethoscope,make sure you dont put the tip on any moving parts.
Well riddle me this for a minute.

Timing Chains. Persay If it WAS a chain would it rattle with or without the belt?

Someone else suggested a heat shield possible?

Also the noise disappears at higher rpms.

How much is a NEW engine again?

2003 Saturn Ion 3

Last edited by NVMY03GT; 03-04-2007 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #8
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

Congratulations on getting the tensioner replaced!

As far as new engine, on an older car, it would be cheaper to buy a used engine from a junk yard. But, my question is, if you do need an engine, do you want to replace it? Your A/C is not working. My (bad) experience was A/C repairs can be very costly. Add up all that needs to be done, factor in own ability to do repairs, or pay someone to do them it might = a different car. I am not very good at diagnostic. I tended to take it to someone else for that. You are also getting a flavor how difficult diagnostics and repairs can be. I have found it not so easy. I hope things work for you. I have been there, and it is not fun!
Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #9
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

could be the AC pulley......or the alternator....or it could be like mine...an idler pulley that was going bad but at first spin....(without the belt) made no noise....just felt funny......I think you can get a serpentine belt to bypass the ac pulley.....I wonder if that wouldn't get it.....
The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
NVMY03GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Congratulations on getting the tensioner replaced!

As far as new engine, on an older car, it would be cheaper to buy a used engine from a junk yard. But, my question is, if you do need an engine, do you want to replace it? Your A/C is not working. My (bad) experience was A/C repairs can be very costly. Add up all that needs to be done, factor in own ability to do repairs, or pay someone to do them it might = a different car. I am not very good at diagnostic. I tended to take it to someone else for that. You are also getting a flavor how difficult diagnostics and repairs can be. I have found it not so easy. I hope things work for you. I have been there, and it is not fun!
Well and thats my fear. I took on this tensioner job not know what I was getting into. Im guessing the next thing that it could be is Timing chain. The car has been ran low on oil MULTIPLE times and from what Ive read on here when running the engine low on oil the timining chain begins to go. The part I don't understand is If it WAS the itming chaing shouldn't it so it with the Belot off also? That confuses the hell out of me

The only reason I suggested another enigne is because it is a timing belt you could probably get an engine from a junk yard for a couple hundred WITH the timing chain already assembled. The bad part is I have no cliue how to put an engine in nor would I try to do it myself. Too much ****t o hook up on that stuff.

Timing Chanin is what 700 to 800 to fix? Roughly? thats on the low side Im sure. I just wish I could confirm if it was a timing chain or not that would put my mind down a little bit. Im affraid to toss in the towel too early.

2003 Saturn Ion 3